2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think you are to lenient on the runningbacks. I just dont see Singletary being the answer and moss is a solid #2. Singletary is elusive and is able to break the one on one tackles but he is to slow to hit the hole while it is open and when it closes up he hits a wall and falls to the ground. He is also to small to run people over in order to get through the line. Yeldon and Antonio Williams with the limited reps they showed that speed helped getting through or around the trenches by hitting the hole. They need the quickness like that in order to get the run game going. I honestly would be looking to upgrade the RB and put Singletary on the block while having Moss and Williams backing up your new RB. Oline was 4th in pass protection and dropped when it came against the run, it all depends on what scheme and type of player you are looking to have at the oline, unless you have elite guards your likely not going to get a balanced oline. If bills let Daryl Williams and Feliciano go and willing to pay Thurney, while pushing Ford back to RG that would be a better way of upgrading the run protection as well as the pass protection but the cost may be to high for the bills to look at. 

RB can be upgraded for sure but Moss has shown more than enough to be considered RB1 for next season. He needs to stay healthy. I hardly think a rookie season with injuries and OL issues is enough to determine he’s only a solid 2.

He’s a damn good pass blocker and good enough catching passes as well. He hits holes hard and makes yards when there’s nothing to be had. 

This isn’t directed at you, but I’ve seen far too many Bills fans say that Antonio Williams should get a shot at starting while also saying we should go RB in round 1. If an UDFA has shown enough to warrant playing time, where’s the value for a round 1 RB? I don’t see the Bills dropping 100 targets on a back out of the backfield which negates their value and usage as a weapon. 

2 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

RB can be upgraded for sure but Moss has shown more than enough to be considered RB1 for next season. He needs to stay healthy. I hardly think a rookie season with injuries and OL issues is enough to determine he’s only a solid 2.

He’s a damn good pass blocker and good enough catching passes as well. He hits holes hard and makes yards when there’s nothing to be had. 

This isn’t directed at you, but I’ve seen far too many Bills fans say that Antonio Williams should get a shot at starting while also saying we should go RB in round 1. If an UDFA has shown enough to warrant playing time, where’s the value for a round 1 RB? I don’t see the Bills dropping 100 targets on a back out of the backfield which negates their value and usage as a weapon. 

I think Antonio Williams is good enough to be the #3 back and should have had a shot just to see what he could do during the playoffs cause both Singletary and Yeldon weren't impressive. If Williams is good enough to be the #3 back, who i think will be a roster spot but put as a healthy scratch each week, I say you move on from Singletary if you take one in this draft and can find a trade partner. A guy like Najee Harris is big enough to be the workhorse on this team with Moss coming in like Ingram and Kamara had in NOLA, or Cook and Murray had in Minny. Najee is more well rounded then Moss is, in his ability to not only block and catch he has the ability to make plays that are set for home runs even when it looks like he is being eaten up. In the draft if Najee is on the board and rated as the highest player there I say take him,  and I wouldn't pass on him to land a late 2nd or early 3rd tier lineman on either side of the ball or the #2/3 TE in the draft as Najee would be more of an impact then any of them.  Najee reminds me a lot like Steven Jackson in the sense he is a big dude but has the speed of a smaller rb he can work the inside as good as he can work the outside to be the difference maker the bills need. If you ran him on 1st down majority of the time you will be setting your self set up for 2nd and 5 or better thats how good he is. The pressure of Allen not having to be put in 3rd and long situations would drop a lot just with this RB. Etienne I do not believe will be there at pick 30 but outside of those 2 main guys I do not see any other RB being as an upgrade to this team that they already have. That is why I would go with him in the 1st. I dont care if he doesnt catch 100 balls I care about him  getting Allen the relief he needed that he didnt get in 2020, and the ability to play off the RPO more. As season went on when we played good teams like the Colts and Ravens the inability to run put pressure on the type of plays we had to run because those teams werent falling for the run and they went after Allen majority of the time and it showed against KC. Kc blitzes the most in the AFC, 52% on 1st down and over 60% on 3rd downs when it is 3rd and 6+, if you cant run on these teams then your going to be getting your teeth knocked in like they did in the Championship game. Even with a healthy Moss I just dont see him being as impactful in those games for the opposing team to be threatened by the run.

9 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree with a lot of this. The Bills were one the better pressure teams but it came from exotic blitzes and other looks. QBs get the ball out so quick now that even a great pass rusher isn’t always a difference maker.

Better IDL play will help Edmunds and the other LBs stop the run.

Offensively the Bills need to be more creative with how they run the ball and get better play from the OGs. 

Milano was sent on a lot of those blitzes lol. We lose Milano we take even more of a hit.

Losing Milano and not upgrading our pass rush will be terrible. We need more from Ed Oliver as well. He shows flashes but needs to get consistent 

13 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Milano was sent on a lot of those blitzes lol. We lose Milano we take even more of a hit.

Losing Milano and not upgrading our pass rush will be terrible. We need more from Ed Oliver as well. He shows flashes but needs to get consistent 

So was Poyer, Klein, Edmunds and Johnson. 

No one is saying that the pass rush doesn’t need to be upgraded. But there are several ways to do that and it isn’t guaranteed to fix all the Bills defensive woes. They actually had a decent pressure defense last season but still struggled because QBs get the ball out so fast and we couldn’t stop PA pass.

• Like 1

The issue with us blitzing in a ton of Nickel formation of 4-2-5 (80%+ in this formation) it frees up the middle in which we get eaten alive on those passing routes. The inability to rush 4 and get constant pressure and the fact that we played majority of the season in the 4/2/5 formation is because of our lack at LB and pass rush on the line. We have issues whether Milano is on the team or not. Hughes may have been productive beating his man off the line but he was facing one of the most one on ones then any one in the league this year, as a ton of teams were double teaming oliver. Once Hughes got back there he was well beyond where the qb was and no where near sacking him, he would be given that as a pressure but really it had very little impact because he was going so far out of the circle that the qb easily stepped in to the pocket or was going the other way. While I think Hughes should stay on a restructure, I do not think he has the ability to be a full time pass rusher and should be put in on situational packages. Blitzing 5 whether it was Poyer, Taron, Tre, Levi, Milano, or Klein it left a huge gap which qbs were able to step up and dump the pass off. Colts did it with Doyle/Burton, and KC did it with Kelce. So when we bring the pressure it meant nothing. Teams like the browns and TB were able to stay with in that game because they had the ability to actually pressure Mahomes with just the front 4 while the LBs stayed back and roamed to try and limit Kelce from getting the ball or making bigger plays then they did on us. The bills need 2 LBs one on each side of Edmunds, Milano is going to seek to much and with Edmunds likely to be the one getting paid I do not see the wise decision to pay both LBS 10+ mil a year. Klein is ehh and should only be in during situations where they need to bring a LB Blitz but realistically we shouldnt have to be blitzing so much in the future, if we have capable pass rushers on the team. I think Star who is a bigger space eater on the run and taking up interior olineman will allow guys like Oliver to be able to get in there much better then when you had Butler being the 1T. Another capable pass rusher on the other side who can also get in there, as Murphy, Espenesa, Johnson, and Addison majority of the time struggled. Most of Addison's 5 sacks were due to the fact the qb held on to the ball to long and was scrambling, he is to slow off the line and the team just didn't get in there fast enough. So a young stud pass rusher needs to be brought in that can be constant pressure to the opposing team and to bring in 2 LBS who can roam without allowing the TE or RB to peel off for 100+ receiving yards a game. 

People may think this team is one player away from being a superbowl contender but they still are missing a few pieces on both sides of the ball. If they can clear up space land a capable young pass rusher, look at an older veteran LB who may come cheaper then Milano that would be a solid start. Ideally the two I would look at are Bud Dupree (may not be excessively expensive cause he is coming off of an ACL) he would be a younger pass rusher that should be available, as well as Matt Judon (as baltimore used the tag on him last year, as well as yannick, the cost will be expensive to tag him again). Then the vet LB I would gauge his cost and see what Levante David is seeking as he is 31 years old and will likely not get the 12+ mil Milano is projected to get while he still has the ability to be a solid cover LB the bills can use for 2-3 years. Restructuring Hughes, and cutting Addison should be able to pay for the young pass rusher for this year, and then the ability to let jefferson and butler go can free up David's contract and then some. 

Keep in mind the cap is expected to go back to normal in 2022 and it is projected to be around 210 mil which would put the bills in cap space of around 90+ mil in which these contracts can be manipulated to land some of these guys without being in cap hell. That is also keeping in mind that Edmunds and Allen will seek new deals, however the bills can slap the 5th year option on both when including their new deals so they can extend them to 5 years plus the 5th year option making a 6 year deal which can put their cap hits on the back end if they so choose to.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

With Ej Gaines being released, Josh Norman likely not returning, and Levi Wallace going on the RFA tag. Would it be ideal to look for a guy who may be ring chasing such as Patrick Peterson, Aj Bouye, or Richard Sherman in hopes to come in and assist as the #2 CB? Assuming for the right price.

I like Sherman because he'll likely do a similar deal that he did in SF, which was heavily incentive based. That could be great for our cap.

Side note since we're on the topic of DBs, The Athletic mock has us trading up with IND to take Jaycee Horn from South Carolina.

JJ Watt was just released...You have to think Beane will be all over this just to gauge the cost as we can sign him before free agency since he was let go. Would be interested to see where he ends up as you have to think he will be chasing a ring considering he wont need the money. Another option is playing with his bros in Pitt. GB, KC, TB, Pitt, and US have to be at the top 5 of his list.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Trentwannabe said:

A name I’ve seen mentioned online by a few guys for the Bills is Curtis Samuel. 

He could potentially be our John Brown/McKenzie all in one. A real home run threat. There is the connection with Beane who he’ll draft him 40th overall in 2017.

Thoughts?

Think his asking price will be to high and with the discount of Mckenzie and Gabe Davis coming on I dont think the bills do anything at WR this year. Hodgins and Kumerow will be fringe players. I do not think Andre Roberts comes back at all with him being 33 years old and his renewal is specifically ST I think it would be best to move on and have Mckenzie return kicks and punts from now on. I could see the bills using a late round draft pick on a Wr or Stills on a cheap one year deal but overall would be shocked if we invest a ton of new money on a WR. I think Beane will focus on using that for the TE position or oline before WR.

Edited by soflbillsfan

23 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Think his asking price will be to high

Yeah I had not realized his market value was where it was. We won't be in on that.

10 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Tbh the receiver I really want is Will Fuller. Bad. Like bad bad.

He'd be amazing to have for week 1 and 2....anything after that is a crap shoot lol. Unless he's taking 1 year prove it deals, I don't think they'll be interested. 

12 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Tbh the receiver I really want is Will Fuller. Bad. Like bad bad.

The asking price is going to be substantial and while it would be nice to have a blazer like him i dont see the cost and risk on this. I dont think the risk/reward for Milano is worth it and hes likely to land 12-14 mil per year let alone Fuller's expected price of 17+ mil and a team like Jags, Dolphins, or Jets may be willing to pay that.

Edited by soflbillsfan