2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Panthers just released Kawaan Short. Beane is obviously going to take a look lol

I know it’ll frustrate people because “Panthers” but the logic here makes sense.

He’d come much cheaper than Butler, Addison and Star did

41 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I know it’ll frustrate people because “Panthers” but the logic here makes sense.

He’d come much cheaper than Butler, Addison and Star did

I would like to say a flat out NO on this but I know that Beane is so locked in on guys from that organization it seems destined to be an option for us. I just hope it is a vet min type deal with incentives, they will be able to rotate him, phillips and star to be that 1DT but I really would just like to be done as that well has dried up ages ago. He is 32 with only 5 games played in 2 years. I want to start seeing him bring in more talent that isnt associated with Carolina. Last year we brought in Butler, Addison, klein, williams, norman, andre smith, then years before star, munnerlyn, tolbert, benjamin (I am sure I am missing more). Enough is enough with Carolina it is ridiculous how easily he goes to that teams scraps. 

35 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I would like to say a flat out NO on this but I know that Beane is so locked in on guys from that organization it seems destined to be an option for us. I just hope it is a vet min type deal with incentives, they will be able to rotate him, phillips and star to be that 1DT but I really would just like to be done as that well has dried up ages ago. He is 32 with only 5 games played in 2 years. I want to start seeing him bring in more talent that isnt associated with Carolina. Last year we brought in Butler, Addison, klein, williams, norman, andre smith, then years before star, munnerlyn, tolbert, benjamin (I am sure I am missing more). Enough is enough with Carolina it is ridiculous how easily he goes to that teams scraps. 

I’d have an issue with it if he was the only GM or coach who did this. But it’s literally every organization. I’d also have an issue with it if we weren’t winning. But 10-6 followed by 13-3 season, it’s hard to complain about the job Beane and McDermott have done. And if where their preferred choice of free agents comes from is at the top of the list, I think we’re okay. 

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I’d have an issue with it if he was the only GM or coach who did this. But it’s literally every organization. I’d also have an issue with it if we weren’t winning. But 10-6 followed by 13-3 season, it’s hard to complain about the job Beane and McDermott have done. And if where their preferred choice of free agents comes from is at the top of the list, I think we’re okay. 

While every team does it they do 3-4 players not 15+ like we have done in the past. While I agree on the record, and they dont deserve to be questioned because of it. The moves of bringing in guys from Carolina have actually been more misses then hits and thats their downfall. We wanted to get different on the dline and let guys like Shaq and Jordan go to only bring in lesser talent at a premium price with butler and addison, while most of the local media and  forum are talking about wanting them cut this year. Im all for bringing in a guy who can be either a player at a cheaper rate producing the same as a guy getting paid more or going for a guy who can be an actual upgrade to this team and I feel like last offseason moves on the dline were not upgrades nor the same at a cheaper rate. While Star was out and may have been an impact to some degree it still is unsettling how underwhelming that dline was for the amount of money invested in them.

On a different note it is clear that this team's defense needs to get a strong front 4 that will play 70%+ of snaps next year and Hughes played 1 game the entire season hitting 70% or more while every one else didn't reach that. We got to start looking at teams like the Browns, the WFT, TB where they are able to cause disruptions to the opposing qb without having to bring in exotic blitz packages. Rotating subpar players constantly didnt work for us. Do you know most of the season we rotated Butler and Jefferson, where they both played around 40-50% each yet they were being paid 14.5 mil, that combined is the 11th highest paid DT. I am not saying its a bad move but wouldnt you rather have a work horse getting paid 14 mil to play 70% of the snaps knowing their talent can overwhelm olineman while a harrison phillips (rookie deal) comes backing him up on the remaining 30% of snaps? Jefferson and Butler did nothing that was threatening and teams like KC knew that they can get the ball off faster on blitzes leaving someone open simply because our front 4 were unable to break through the oline? Colts we blitzed 60% of the game yet Rivers, a real life statue, was unphased by it and picked us apart. Short may be something Beane sees as ideal cause of his history but to me that seems like a redo of last years moves. Even signing watt may be on that border but at least at his age of 32 he has more upside then Short does at the moment. Ideally I would like for them to go all in on a young FA pass rusher with the money and hope star is able to hold at the 1T while Oliver plays around the 70% at 3T and have rookie's back them up in later rd along with Harrison Phillips. Rotate less and count on them getting someone who can constantly rush the passer for the next 3-5 years. I just dont want to see these 8-12 mil signings have minimal impact on the team like we saw with Addison, Butler, and Jefferson this year. 

21 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

While every team does it they do 3-4 players not 15+ like we have done in the past. While I agree on the record, and they dont deserve to be questioned because of it. The moves of bringing in guys from Carolina have actually been more misses then hits and thats their downfall. We wanted to get different on the dline and let guys like Shaq and Jordan go to only bring in lesser talent at a premium price with butler and addison, while most of the local media and  forum are talking about wanting them cut this year. Im all for bringing in a guy who can be either a player at a cheaper rate producing the same as a guy getting paid more or going for a guy who can be an actual upgrade to this team and I feel like last offseason moves on the dline were not upgrades nor the same at a cheaper rate. While Star was out and may have been an impact to some degree it still is unsettling how underwhelming that dline was for the amount of money invested in them.

15 over 4 years really isn’t that bad. I’m sure the number is higher but my point still stands. I think it’s a non issue. 
Even in hindsight I agree with letting Shaq go. The staff had spent enough years and practice around him to feel comfortable he wasn’t going to become some multi sack guy. They paid Addison less guaranteed money despite him being more proven (albeit older).

I can also get behind the Phillips decision because they weren’t paying Oliver’s back up 8-10 million a year and at the time they had no idea COVID would come into play and Star would sit out. Phillips also looked a lot more like his Mimi version then he did 2019 version. 

I’m all for the DL getting a make over. But I think a total overhaul will actually hurt the Bills in 2021 more than anything. Having familiar faces who know the system and DL coach on a shortened season won’t be a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

15 over 4 years really isn’t that bad. I’m sure the number is higher but my point still stands. I think it’s a non issue. 
Even in hindsight I agree with letting Shaq go. The staff had spent enough years and practice around him to feel comfortable he wasn’t going to become some multi sack guy. They paid Addison less guaranteed money despite him being more proven (albeit older).

I can also get behind the Phillips decision because they weren’t paying Oliver’s back up 8-10 million a year and at the time they had no idea COVID would come into play and Star would sit out. Phillips also looked a lot more like his Mimi version then he did 2019 version. 

I’m all for the DL getting a make over. But I think a total overhaul will actually hurt the Bills in 2021 more than anything. Having familiar faces who know the system and DL coach on a shortened season won’t be a bad thing. 

I dont see it as a major overhaul, I got behind the idea of letting phillips and shaq go to get  similar talent at a lesser price but we came away from overpaying for 2 DTs in jefferson and butler well before Star announced whether he was sitting out or not as he just restructures his contract at that time of those signings. So I dont see the 2 signings impacting Star not playing. You let Jefferson, Addison, and Butler go those are all essential back ups you still will have 3 starters and 3 back ups who are on the roster in Hughes, Oliver, and Star. With Phillips, Johnson, and Epenesa as backups. Bringing in one stud pass rusher to pay him the top money he deserves to replace the cost of those 3 guys plus drafting depth isnt going to hurt this dline in 2021. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
52 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

According to Kimberly Martin from Espn there is mutual interest between Watt and Bills as Beane has reached out to his representatives.

I’m curious what a deal would look like. Hard to imagine we could afford him for just one year deal. I’m thinking a two year deal with the big cap hit next season.

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I’m curious what a deal would look like. Hard to imagine we could afford him for just one year deal. I’m thinking a two year deal with the big cap hit next season.

I think it will be a typical beane 2-3 year deal. Where year 1 is all guarantees and year 2 is the remaining guarantees while year 3 little guarantees if any in which bills have an option to cut him. Jefferson, Butler, Addison all went by that plan of 2-3 year deals and I would expect him to do the same. I dont see Watt as being a money chaser at this point in his career and more of a ring chaser and will take less. He didnt ask for a release because of money issues as he was due 17.5 mil a year so I would expect a similar deal to Addison 3 year 30 mil deal with 15 guaranteed in which the cap hit wont be much this year.

• Like 1

Packers released LB Christian Kirksey in a cost saving move. Buffalo had interest in him last season, would be a cheaper option than Milano for a year or two.

Ultimately I see us going LB in the draft though should Milano indeed walk.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Packers released LB Christian Kirksey in a cost saving move. Buffalo had interest in him last season, would be a cheaper option than Milano for a year or two.

Ultimately I see us going LB in the draft though should Milano indeed walk.

I am confused by this because they signed him last year, in that year how was this a cost saving move without him not showing he could produce. I dont know much about him so is this something that we would want? Is he a fill in and upgrade to klein in those situation where we ran a ton of 4-2-5 rather then a typical 4-3 especially when Milano was hurt?

22 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I am confused by this because they signed him last year, in that year how was this a cost saving move without him not showing he could produce. I dont know much about him so is this something that we would want? Is he a fill in and upgrade to klein in those situation where we ran a ton of 4-2-5 rather then a typical 4-3 especially when Milano was hurt?

I would imagine he is an upgrade over Klein. Not sure why kind of contract he would be seeking though. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, Trentwannabe said:

I could see like a 2-3 year incentive based deal. Not individual performance based though. Team based. X bonus for afc championship win, X bonus for SB appearance, etc. 

Edited by DER10N92
On 2/23/2021 at 9:58 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I would imagine he is an upgrade over Klein. Not sure why kind of contract he would be seeking though. 

Honestly I would much rather put the funds in to the dline in FA as the Draft is suppose to be loaded with LBs. I could see the bills landing one of the top 5 LBs in one of the 1st 2 rounds. It is very concerning how much lack of ability to get to the passer at the front 4 I just dont want to involve the LBs to be placed in a situation where they are having to rush the passer more times then not rather then roam the short yardage area. Do we know of any legit pass rushers that may be available to us via draft? From my understanding the draft is weak at pass rush and guys are going to be drafted higher then they are.