2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

On 2/23/2021 at 3:44 PM, DER10N92 said:

I could see like a 2-3 year incentive based deal. Not individual performance based though. Team based. X bonus for afc championship win, X bonus for SB appearance, etc. 

That would make some sense. He’d be brought in to help put the team over the top. If he does, he should be paid handsomely for it. I’d prefer that then him getting double digit sacks but a first round exit or something.

23 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Honestly I would much rather put the funds in to the dline in FA as the Draft is suppose to be loaded with LBs. I could see the bills landing one of the top 5 LBs in one of the 1st 2 rounds. It is very concerning how much lack of ability to get to the passer at the front 4 I just dont want to involve the LBs to be placed in a situation where they are having to rush the passer more times then not rather then roam the short yardage area. Do we know of any legit pass rushers that may be available to us via draft? From my understanding the draft is weak at pass rush and guys are going to be drafted higher then they are. 

I’ve seen a few guys mocked to us at 30 that are “pass rushers” but most of them are not the traditional 4-3 end. That or they don’t fit the size/speed combo that McDermott likes to use.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I’ve seen a few guys mocked to us at 30 that are “pass rushers” but most of them are not the traditional 4-3 end. That or they don’t fit the size/speed combo that McDermott likes to use.

Yea unfortunately we dont have the funds to go after a guy I would like in Dupree and with out a true 4-3 LDE I think the best option is to get Watt in here reasonable price and apparently the top 3 leading candidates are Bills, Titans, and Packers. I would assume him signing with an organization well before FA period starts as his price will then be dropping. If we can atleast get Watt in here let Butler and Addison go. Possibly extend hughes another year to drop his cap hit and have little to no guarantees next year along with restructuring Jefferson deal rather then flat out cutting him the dline would be in a better situation then it is. Then you have room to make other moves without breaking the bank.

Also Bills wire along with and Espn writer mentioned that CMC could be moved and Bills are 1 of the top 2 ideal destinations for his service. No clue what the asking price would be for him coming off back to back injuries in 2020 but I think his cap would be extremely high for us at a RB but man would he be an exciting addition to that offense. 

22 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea unfortunately we dont have the funds to go after a guy I would like in Dupree and with out a true 4-3 LDE I think the best option is to get Watt in here reasonable price and apparently the top 3 leading candidates are Bills, Titans, and Packers. I would assume him signing with an organization well before FA period starts as his price will then be dropping. If we can atleast get Watt in here let Butler and Addison go. Possibly extend hughes another year to drop his cap hit and have little to no guarantees next year along with restructuring Jefferson deal rather then flat out cutting him the dline would be in a better situation then it is. Then you have room to make other moves without breaking the bank.

I agree with this. It’s not a long term fix but it allows the Bills to make another run at a SB with a competent DL. It’s a big year for Oliver and Epenesa. If they each take a step in their game, things could really work out well. 

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Oh well.

Id rather pay Carl Lawson the same tbh.

Hes going to want a 5 year deal and honestly I would pay him. I would even go a few mil more for Judon, Dupree, and maybe yannick then what Watt got but in a 4-5 year deal. I know Yan and Judon have some "issues" when it comes to handling things but the organization seems to have the culture that I dont see them being an issue if they were brought in. 

I see Dupree setting up as a nice piece for LDE in which Hughes then can come off the RDE. We didnt have a true LDE last year as epenesa came in super small around 260 compared to his weight in college at the 285, 290. I know we go small but I think Mcdermott needs to realize that weight and speed can be the driving force to the left end. Losing the weight may have sped up Epenesa but the weight he was at was pushing him around. If we went Judon/lawson/yannick then we can have Jefferson focus more on LDE if they decide to keep him and have hughes rotate in with one of the 3. Butler, Addison can be cut. Have Epenesa bulk up and go with Jefferson, Johnson, and epenesa on the LDE spot while Hughes and FA signing on the RDE, with oliver Star phillips and rookie/zimmer battle it on the inside with packages of putting Jefferson in the middle too. Just an idea as to what Beane can do with adding one of the 4 above

• Like 1

I think the Bills will be looking at Dalvin Tomlinson or a NT in the draft. We don’t know fit sure Star is coming back and if he does, we don’t know what kind of shape or player he’ll be. We need a true difference maker in there to free up Oliver and the LBs.

Id argue it’s just as important as a DE right now. 

14 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think the Bills will be looking at Dalvin Tomlinson or a NT in the draft. We don’t know fit sure Star is coming back and if he does, we don’t know what kind of shape or player he’ll be. We need a true difference maker in there to free up Oliver and the LBs.

Id argue it’s just as important as a DE right now. 

I think addressing it in the draft is very likely but I am not sure if they can land Tomlinson, I expect him to be back with Giants while they tag Leonard Williams. I think with access to the vaccine the NFL will likely put in a bid to give to all the players before TC happens which will then take the option of opting out off the table. Bills will be on the hook for that price tag unless he retires which I doubt. Hopefully he is in shape. I know DT is important but we desperately need to answer both edges Epenesa is not starter material and unless they figure out how to use him this year they will need to fill both sides as Hughes is at the end of his career and outside of that they have no one. This draft edge's arent as strong as in the past and once one or two are taken in the mid to late 1st rd the talent is all the same extending in to day 3 of the draft. May be lucky to find a gem but not one has screamed dominant at the college level let alone going to get that at the pro level. Quite a few DT though early on that can be immediate contributors. I am just ready for the FA to start to see what we will need going in to the draft.

4 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Kyle Rudolph was just released. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him at the right price. Knox isn't a TE1 and he can bring that veteran presence and production to the position if used the right way. 

Rather have Knox tbh. Tight Ends usually take time, I’m not completely ready to give up on Dawson yet

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Rather have Knox tbh. Tight Ends usually take time, I’m not completely ready to give up on Dawson yet

Wouldn't really be giving up on him. They more less compliment each other. Lots of teams run 2 TE. Give Rudolph 2 years that way him and Knox contracts expire at same time and can evaluate after that if hes the future of the position. Rudolph would bring to the table what we thought Kroft could do.

3 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Wouldn't really be giving up on him. They more less compliment each other. Lots of teams run 2 TE. Give Rudolph 2 years that way him and Knox contracts expire at same time and can evaluate after that if hes the future of the position. Rudolph would bring to the table what we thought Kroft could do.

I don’t think Rudolph moves the needle for us at all. Two years ago I would have love him.

Judging by Beanes comments at the end of the year, I think he wants a difference maker and not necessarily someone to compliment Knox, but rather push and pass him.

Im guessing we’ll be in on Smith and Henry in FA. Everett as a plan B.

19 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think addressing it in the draft is very likely but I am not sure if they can land Tomlinson, I expect him to be back with Giants while they tag Leonard Williams. I think with access to the vaccine the NFL will likely put in a bid to give to all the players before TC happens which will then take the option of opting out off the table. Bills will be on the hook for that price tag unless he retires which I doubt. Hopefully he is in shape. I know DT is important but we desperately need to answer both edges Epenesa is not starter material and unless they figure out how to use him this year they will need to fill both sides as Hughes is at the end of his career and outside of that they have no one. This draft edge's arent as strong as in the past and once one or two are taken in the mid to late 1st rd the talent is all the same extending in to day 3 of the draft. May be lucky to find a gem but not one has screamed dominant at the college level let alone going to get that at the pro level. Quite a few DT though early on that can be immediate contributors. I am just ready for the FA to start to see what we will need going in to the draft.

I think it’s way too early to say Epenesa isn’t starting material. Lots of guys take time at that position and get adjusted to NFL speed and weight. 

2021 is a big year for him no doubt. My dream right now is Carl Lawson and Jonnu Smith in free agency. That should gives the Bills a lot of flexibility in the first few rounds to draft BPA at a need. 

13 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Bills have utilized all their te at some point in 2019 I dont think it is giving up on Knox it is more so of having multiple options. I dont see Rudolph as the #1 anymore and ideally he wouldnt be a big upgrade to what they currently had in kroft. Ideally TE is still a need and Knox needs to continue the process of getting better