2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think it’s way too early to say Epenesa isn’t starting material. Lots of guys take time at that position and get adjusted to NFL speed and weight. 

2021 is a big year for him no doubt. My dream right now is Carl Lawson and Jonnu Smith in free agency. That should gives the Bills a lot of flexibility in the first few rounds to draft BPA at a need. 

Yea I am starting to come around to the idea of Smith I though Hunter was the only true upgrade but the more and more I see his highlights the more I like the idea of adding him but it has to be for the right price. Not saying Epenesa is a bust I just dont see him coming to be top tier status. I know we will never land a Bosa, or Watt type guy but at the same time we cant overlook what he is and what he is capable of doing. As of right now he isnt going to be ready to take most of the snaps and be productive and I would hate to overlook the position based on hoping he would turn it around in year 2, or year 3. I still think upgrading the position and allowing him to get better without the pressure of needing to be top tier right away is the ideal scenario. If they want lawson and hughes on one side then I am good with settling with putting Epenesa/ johnson/ jefferson on the otherside for now and see what happens this year. If Epenesa isnt the guy then go in to FA looking to fill the hole opposite to Lawson and have Epenesa play back up while Jefferson hits FA. 

Ideally Smith, Lawson, retain Daryl Williams and possibly Feliciano with John Brown walking and a guy like Mitch Morse restructuring his deal I could get behind the idea of going either DT/LB/Harris at pick 30. If they dont retain Williams and/or Feliciano without filling the need in FA then I have to assume that oline will be above those 3 options. Not sure how much Joe Thuney would command but he would be a nice upgrade to LG and have Ford slide back to RG.

17 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

Keep in mind too that Njoku could be released/traded as well. His 5th year option was picked up, but if the Browns dont want to pay their TE2 $6 mil next year, they can release him before March 17th with no dead cap hit.

Cook, Njoku, Howard, Ertz, Rudolph, Henry, and Smith all seem to be options. We have 5 days left before the Franchise Tag period ends. I think Smith and Henry may be a part of that Tag process. Philly has already mentioned the idea of moving Ertz and I do not see them paying him especially when they are over the cap and basically in a rebuild period. My hope is both Henry and Smith hit the open market, even if the Bills arent one to land them that means the others may come cheaper as more options will be available. I am not a big fan of Jared Cook saw so many times he dropped the ball. Rudolph isn't ideal as he is getting up there in age and I am not sure how his relationship is with Diggs. He was also underutilized much like Diggs was the past couple of years with Kubiak's system, not to mention Irv Smith being drafted. While I may have been happy to land him a couple of years ago I am not completely sold on him being an upgrade but at the same time he would be nice to have a reliable red zone target which he has been in years past.

Edited by soflbillsfan

9 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

First official former Panther to visit us this offseason. What's the over/under for how many we bring in? I'll go with 5. Lol

At least this time it’s because the Special Teams coordinator likely requested this having worked with him lol.

Boj is also a RFA so there is some uncertainty. 

As for the over/under I’ll say sunder lol. I think Andrew Norwell, the former Panther and now Jaguar is a name to watch though. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

At least this time it’s because the Special Teams coordinator likely requested this having worked with him lol.

Boj is also a RFA so there is some uncertainty. 

As for the over/under I’ll say sunder lol. I think Andrew Norwell, the former Panther and now Jaguar is a name to watch though. 

Haha I was just about to say I wont be shocked if Norwell is someone that is talked about being traded here. Which I wouldnt hate if they redo his deal, what you think his cost would be?

Dont get why we just dont put a high tender on Bojo and pay a bit more for him to prevent the risk of him being taken. I assume they arent looking to lock him up long term if they are looking for other punters. Tagging him for this year on a higher tender could allow the bills to get another year of what he can do. As he had a good this past year, consecutive years of good play could land him a nice pay day and give the bills an idea of whether he is the future or not

On 3/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, soflbillsfan said:

Haha I was just about to say I wont be shocked if Norwell is someone that is talked about being traded here. Which I wouldnt hate if they redo his deal, what you think his cost would be?

Dont get why we just dont put a high tender on Bojo and pay a bit more for him to prevent the risk of him being taken. I assume they arent looking to lock him up long term if they are looking for other punters. Tagging him for this year on a higher tender could allow the bills to get another year of what he can do. As he had a good this past year, consecutive years of good play could land him a nice pay day and give the bills an idea of whether he is the future or not

Hard to say. I think the Guard market is pretty full with guys like Incognito, Feliciano, Zeitler, Norwell, Turner, Thuney and Gabe Jackson all FA or potentially becoming one. Most Teams don’t have a lot of money to throw around so some guys could be quite cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hard to say. I think the Guard market is pretty full with guys like Incognito, Feliciano, Zeitler, Norwell, Turner, Thuney and Gabe Jackson all FA or potentially becoming one. Most Teams don’t have a lot of money to throw around so some guys could be quite cheap. 

I dont see us looking at Incognito after the nonsense he pulled last time. Gabe , Zeitler, and Turner are all RG. If bills were going to put the money on a guard I would assume it would be left and putting Ford back at his original spot RG if they let Feliciano walk? Norwell and Thuney would definitely be upgrades to the LG position. Just curious on what Norwell would cost if traded I assume a new deal could be made in order to get him around the 6-7 mil marker. Getting him and resigning Williams I think the oline would look pretty solid. I would expect a morse restructure to help with this signing. If beane states that RB isnt the issue then you have to assume the oline is what he wants to fix in order to get a better run game going.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont see us looking at Incognito after the nonsense he pulled last time. Gabe , Zeitler, and Turner are all RG. If bills were going to put the money on a guard I would assume it would be left and putting Ford back at his original spot RG if they let Feliciano walk? Norwell and Thuney would definitely be upgrades to the LG position. Just curious on what Norwell would cost if traded I assume a new deal could be made in order to get him around the 6-7 mil marker. Getting him and resigning Williams I think the oline would look pretty solid. I would expect a morse restructure to help with this signing. If beane states that RB isnt the issue then you have to assume the oline is what he wants to fix in order to get a better run game going.

I actually think Ford played his best at LG beside Dawkins. It was a small sample size but he showed some true road grating moves there.

Edit: I can see us bringing Feliciano back but with some firm competition for starting RG. Bates and Boettger as backups with the loser of that competition and a rookie at RT (30 seems like a sweet spot for a few guys). 

I think Jared Cook on a 1-2 year deal would be nice. Ertz if the price is right.

I think Epenesa will be a viable DE, I think well get + run stopping but dont expect more than 6 sacks a year. Maybe become a Phil Hansen type DE in regards to run stuffing and best case

Worst case well get a 3rd down edge rusher down the road to play with Epenesa 

Edited by BillsGuy82

On 3/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Specials teams starter and good depth at LB. I see no issues here.

You have to wonder though will they let Matakevich go or restructure his deal. Its nice they have these guys for ST but neither were major contributors on defense with them playing a combine 112 snaps on defense. They need to find guys who can be a bigger role on defense as well as play a decent amount of time on ST. Thats why I like Zo so much cause he was able to be an impact on both def and ST. They can free up 3.35 mil by letting Matakevich walk. Maybe extending him would be ideal so the cap hit is far less then what it is at 3.7 mil for this year.

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

You have to wonder though will they let Matakevich go or restructure his deal. Its nice they have these guys for ST but neither were major contributors on defense with them playing a combine 112 snaps on defense. They need to find guys who can be a bigger role on defense as well as play a decent amount of time on ST. Thats why I like Zo so much cause he was able to be an impact on both def and ST. They can free up 3.35 mil by letting Matakevich walk. Maybe extending him would be ideal so the cap hit is far less then what it is at 3.7 mil for this year.

I think they need to find another starter but I don’t see an issue having both Smith and Matakevich as backups with Dodson most likely. ST contributors need to come from somewhere and we use just two LB as starters anyway so depth isn’t a concern for me.