2021 Draft Thread: Senior Bowl, Combine, Virtual Visits

Trentwannabe

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

All pre draft talk can go here!

Who are you draft crushes? Who do you think the Bills should target and what are their areas of need?

My Draft crush is TE from UF Pitts but in no way do we have a shot at him as I believe he is one of the few true talented players above the rest in this draft. Ideally I am all in for the run game and Najee Harris has shown some ability to be the next guy like Damian Harris is in NE. A lot of unknowns due to the lack of College Football this year so it will be tough to say who crushes are until you start seeing them break down game tape of selective players. I think the dark horse pick would be a CB with Gaines on a 1 year deal and Levi being a RFA, while Taron is on his last year they will have needs at this position as the only 2 long term deals are Dane and Tre.

• Like 1

Travis Etienne right now is who im focusing on. Would instantly put our offense at a whole other level with a great passing game and running game.

2nd round i like Rondale Moore. Gives us a a better version Isaiah Mckenzie. A great returner, had 114 receptions 2 years ago, his presnap motion would help the running game, could groom to eventually take over Beasleys slot position when he ages.

Pat Friermuth is a nice option as well. Could help run blocking and give Josh Allen a large target.

Other positions to watch us olinemen, DE, and CB.

• Like 1

Agree with @soflbillsfan .. Pitts would be my top target if we could realistically get him. 

Najee Harris and Etienne are the realistic options I'll be watching closely. We need someone explosive there... Singletary ain't it. Moss is a great power back option, not a feature though.  

Reinforce the trenches, edge rusher needs a look. I like the little we saw from Epenesa, needs more time though. 

• Like 1

Senior Bowl is today

A few guys we've drafted or picked up from this week/game under the McBean era:

Nate Peterman
Zay Jones
Dion Dawkins
Tre White

Josh Allen
Wyatt Teller
Harrison Phillips
Siran Neal
Levi Wallace (UDFA)

Tommy Sweeney
Jaquan Johnson

Tyler Bass
Trey Adams (UDFA)
Dane Jackson

So what are we thinking of positional need such as top 5?

My top 5 if Feliciano and Williams are re-signed

1. RB- Singletary while elusive and able to break the 1st tackle lacks the speed burst to hit the hole and ends up hitting the wall as it closes up, a speedster who can run up the middle would be a game changer for us as we can be more of a balanced offense
2. TE- Kroft has been a healthy scratch a good portion of the season, and knox is still struggling to take the next step lacking the threat for opposing teams, a big game catching TE is what gives a safety net and helps the QB get to the next step, just look at guys like Brady and Mahomes both have amazing TE. Jimmy G and Baker Mayfield have proven to be better when they have one as well. Herbert having Henry this past year has been something to look at too. 
3. LB- With Milano likely wanting a big time deal I see Beane letting him test the market and walk like Shaq and Jordan did last year, Klein may stick around but they can clear 2.5 mil by letting him walk. He struggled early on and stepped up mid season to only be overshadowed by Milano coming back. Having a quick healthy LB who can rush the passer, but also drop back in coverage with the TE would be a top need on this defense.
4. DE- with Jerry and Mario being 33 years old their performance has been lacking, while Hughes has had great production rushing the passer his connect on them as below average and not worth the money. Mario proving that age is something that creeps up and he was only good when the qb was on the move and holding on to the ball far to long. They need to get younger on this as McDermott had to over compensate and blitz more then usual because the DE could not get it done by rushing 4. The ability to grab a younger guy who can get off the line and get to the qb consistently will allow the team to not blitz as much and be able to drop back in coverage more.
5. DT- the run defense and penetration up the middle was less then ideal, jefferson and butler were highly touted to make an impact on the inside which showed little production when it came down to it. With Star coming back those contracts can be washed and the bills can focus the cap on other players while maintaining a solid core of DT in Oliver, Star and Phillips. While Phillips lacked production like he did in 2019 before injury I would like to allow him to get one more year that is remaining on his rookie deal to add depth to the interior. Oliver started showing promise towards the end and he needs to continue to do so in order to save his job, we drafted him at 9 and his cost is more then his production thus far.

Without those guys re-signing OL goes to top of the list and DT is removed. I think with Star coming back IDT isn't as big of a need as we think, he was a huge part in stuffing the middle and forcing the RBs to go outside in 2019.

I’m going based off of just one of the OL is re-signed. 

1. OL - I think the pass blocking across  the line was adequate last season and at times really, really good. But then there were others where 2 or 3 guys were getting beat right away and Josh had to leave his spot. The run blocking on the interior was awful. Morse wasn’t used properly and both Boettger and Feliciano couldn’t reach the second level. Bills don’t need a total make over but they need more dominant forces up front. Hopefully Ford provides that if healthy in 3 as well as a rookie or free agent.

2. DE - pretty simple, the Bills didn’t generate enough pressure from the DL and had to blitz more than McDermott typically likes. Hughes is aging but still productive. Addison and Murphy are likely both gone and Epenesa struggled with weight fluctuation and may be more of a rotational guy. Bills need a game changer at the position that opposing offense fear. 

3. TE - Beane was pretty clear that this position left a lot to be desired in 2020. Knox has shown promise and a knack for the end zone as the year went on, but if the offense is to go to a KC level, they need another legitimate threat to pair with Diggs. I think it comes at TE.

4. LB - I doubt Milano is back and if the rumour that he is asking to be paid top dollar is true, then that is just fine. Edmunds disappointed me much of 2020 but he played hurt and is still just 22 years old. Regardless, for the Bills defense to replicate their 2019 season, they need more from this position and someone who can handle the run and TEs.

5. RB - The Bills had one of the best offenses in the league despite no real running game all season. I will never see the value in a high priced FA or 1st round pick on a back unless they are catching 70-90 balls a season. If the Bills improve the OL and Moss stays healthy, the run game will immediately be better than last year. Add a Savy veteran or a home run threat later in the draft and they’ll be fine here.

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think he has that potential, but definitely didn’t show it this season.

The reason I ask is because Najee Harris is similar in that way where he can not only be a rb but also the receiving rb threat along with a blocking threat as he is 6'2 230. He also is quicker then CEH in which his 40 is around 4.45-4.50 where CEH is around 4.6. Singletary and moss are both excellent #2 RBs but neither can be as impactful as a #1 RB. Moss is the bigger pass blocker then Singletary where singletary is the better receiver. Najee is able to hit the hole faster and if for some reason he has to lower his shoulder he is going to run through LBs with that size and weight (which singletary being a small back will flop to the ground which we have seen this year)but also has the quickness to hit the outside and break one. You know we only had 2 runs for more then 20 yards this year and only made up for just under 1200 yards in the running game which would rank the bills 30-32 in the run game had it not been for Allen's ability to run. While it may be not ideal since we may have other needs on the defensive side of the ball you will be landing the 3-5 LB, 3-5 DE, or 3-5 DT, while we would be landing the 1/2 RB in the draft. The drop off on RBs is significantly more from Etienne and Harris, then the drop off from the defensive positions  as the 3/4/5 LB can be close to the 5/6/7 LB in the 2nd rd. I know your stance on drafting an RB in the 1st seems to be foolish but when you see the draft play out you have to think that this could be an excellent option for BPA in which Beane may elect to roll with one. If the oline is still not that strong I think Harris will be able to mask those deficiencies if there is any and be able to still move the ball. These are just my reasons as why I believe this should be the pick at 30.

What is your choice if a player fell to you at 30 that is realistic to be there to say that he is a better option over drafting Harris?

On 2/4/2021 at 9:32 AM, soflbillsfan said:

What is your choice if a player fell to you at 30 that is realistic to be there to say that he is a better option over drafting Harris?

What you say about Harris and Etienne makes sense and I can get behind the logic of it. But the Bills are just as likely to find that type of player in rounds 2-7 where a premier QB, OT, pass rusher or CB is less likely. I’m not saying the Bills need to address those positions per say, but that’s where the value is Most years IMO.

Ive barely dug into this draft class so I can’t really say what position or players I’d prefer at 30. A lot will depend on free agency and the cuts they do or don’t make as well. 

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

What you say about Harris and Etienne makes sense and I can get behind the logic of it. But the Bills are just as likely to find that type of player in rounds 2-7 where a premier QB, OT, pass rusher or CB is less likely. I’m not saying the Bills need to address those positions per say, but that’s where the value is Most years IMO.

Ive barely dug into this draft class so I can’t really say what position or players I’d prefer at 30. A lot will depend on free agency and the cuts they do or don’t make as well. 

Honestly Pass Rush, and TE are lacking this year, there is depth but nothing top heavy. Pitts is one of my top 3 safest players in the draft as being a day 1 starter and an impact player, but he will go top 5 if not top 10 so we wont sniff him outside of that you can land similar talent in rounds 3/4 as you would at 30. DT and Oline to me would be the only option to snag at 30 if it wasnt Harris. Etienne, while nice concerns me with his injury issues but he would be impactful as well not only as an Rb but also on ST. We went bargain shopping on RBs the last 2 years in the 3rd rd and while both showed a little flash the perception of them making an actual impact is now low and that is what you would get from guys outside of the 2 top rbs in this draft. If they dont look at one of those 2 then I honestly hope they dont waste a pick on any RB after that as they will likely be a healthy scratch come game day unelss he is able to play on ST.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Honestly Pass Rush, and TE are lacking this year, there is depth but nothing top heavy. Pitts is one of my top 3 safest players in the draft as being a day 1 starter and an impact player, but he will go top 5 if not top 10 so we wont sniff him outside of that you can land similar talent in rounds 3/4 as you would at 30. DT and Oline to me would be the only option to snag at 30 if it wasnt Harris. Etienne, while nice concerns me with his injury issues but he would be impactful as well not only as an Rb but also on ST. We went bargain shopping on RBs the last 2 years in the 3rd rd and while both showed a little flash the perception of them making an actual impact is now low and that is what you would get from guys outside of the 2 top rbs in this draft. If they dont look at one of those 2 then I honestly hope they dont waste a pick on any RB after that as they will likely be a healthy scratch come game day unelss he is able to play on ST.

Yeah I can’t see the Bills pulling a blockbuster to get Pitts so he is no dice. 

If the Bills do grab an RB in round 1 or a mid round guy who looks good in camp, I could see Singletary on the chopping block. He was basically benched in the AFCCG and Moss was getting more touches when both were healthy. 

After last nights game the top priority in beating or coming close to beating KC will be getting a capable front 4 pressure without blitzing. They pressured Mahomes a ton last night while blitzing around 20% the entire game. Forcing Mahomes to be uncomfortable because of the front 4. I think the bills need to stop with paying the average players to rotate in and stick with 4 main dlineman majority of the game with little rotation. So to me Butler, Jefferson, and Addison while playing mediocre and showing some flashes are not worth the 26 million in cap space they could have to let him go. I am saying pass rusher is top priority and unfortunately this draft is weak at this position so I am all for them going in on one guy, Bud Dupree to me is the ideal guy for the job and I think if there is one player on defense that can make an impact on this defense it would be him. I know there will be flags cause of his injury but ideally I think this is the guy we should look at in order for the dline to make an impact like the Bucs did last night. 

• Like 1