MO's Mock Draft - V1

MOSteelers56

I don't make mocks often, but I'm trying to forget about real life so I've been pouring into the draft this year. So here's what I would do in the draft. I'll add a few little bit of the offseason too. That will hopefully allow the mock to make more sense. I'm no cap wiz, but there's all sorts of cap smoke and mirrors so I imagine this to be fairly realistic.

Retain - Hilton, Sutton, Conner on the cheap, hopefully Alualu on another short deal 
Lose - JuJu, Feiler, Villy, Bud,
Cap Casualties - Vince and Haden(hopefully he'll take a pay cut or a short extension to push his money)

Draft
1st Zaven Collins - Hybrid Defender
This might be seen as a luxury pick, but I would disagree. I think we're going to really miss Bud Dupree. His athleticism and hitting ability will be greatly missed. I have full confidence that his pass rushing will be filled by Highsmith, but his athleticism won't be. With Vince being cut, and Spillane being JAG, I think a new spot opens up on defense. A guy that can rush the passer, cover TEs and RBs, and can fly around and stop the run, plus he's super sized. He'd be a perfect compliment to Devin Bush. With these two hyper athletic defenders in the middle of the field it opens up a world of possibilities. With his size we could play a 2-4 front that can still stop the run. 

2nd Teven Jenkins - OT 
This guy is a true brute. He's got the skill to play LT, but might need a tiny bit more seasoning. I think NFL speed will give him fits early in his career, but he's a mauler. I think the plan is for Banner to come back as our RT, which is a win, and Chuks to try his hand at LT. I don't know how that will go. I have more faith in Banner at RT than I do with Chuks at LT. It will be nice to have a guy like this waiting in the wings. If Chuks can't handle it, Jenkins comes in halfway through. If Chuks does do well, we can let him go after next year and collect a high comp pick. Jenkins could probably even play inside if needed, but his future is at LT. My main beef with this pick is that it kind of pigeon holes what kind of offense we can run. If the line is Chuks - Dotson - 3rd round pick - DDC - Banner, that is a physical line but maybe not the quickest. The only guy I want pulling in that scenario is DDC. But, if we're serious about running the ball this fits, and so does...

3rd Trey Hill - Center
Hill is a bruiser. He was the second best linemen Georgia had two years ago, and that line featured 3 current NFL guys. Hill is big and rugged. He doesn't move with good long speed, so he's not going to be confused with Pouncey or Dawson. I do think if he were asked to lose about 10-15lbs, he'd be a lot quicker and probably retain his power. He does have great short area explosion. He's big enough to be tough to get around in pass protection. He's also a highly intelligent player. He picks up stunts well and is a good help blocker. It does worry me to wait for the 3rd round for such a high need, especially looking for an immediate starter. Maybe we can find a cheaper vet to sign just in case?

4th Rodarius Williams - CB
This guy is a little older than we normally look for in CBs. He seems like a versatile guy. He has tons of experience and good size. He could be insurance for if we lose Nelson after next year. 

4th Comp Rhamondre Stevenson - RB
I wasn't going to take a RB, but this pick lined up too well. Stevenson is a massive dude. 6' 245ish. He's also got great breakaway speed for his size. Let him compete in a 4 way competition with Snell, Conner, and Samuel for 2 RB spots. I'm assuming we'll give McFarland another shot, but the other 3 havent really shown me enough to give them anything. Not that McFarland has shown anything, but at least he's only had 1 year to try. The others are known commodities.

6th Round Nick Eubanks - TE
This guy is big and pretty athletic. He's strong, but he's not shown much as a blocker or receiver. I think sometimes it just takes something to click with a guy like Eubanks. He kind of reminds me of Albert O. The kid from Mizzou that the Broncos took. Not in terms of skillset, just as a guy who had the makeup but never really put it together. Albert had the excuse of bad QB play, and so did Eubanks. He's got potential

6th Round Comp Jamien Sherwood - SS
This guy has great size, but maybe not the greatest in coverage. I think he's a special teams player. 

7th Round Derek Adams - Punter
Well, he's a punter. 

54 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Who is LT?  chunks? Banner?  Sure is not Jenkins.  I would get a LT in the 1st if there is one to get.

In this draft I like Hill. I think he will be a good fit at center.  Jenkins is pure RT IMHO

Chuks would be the LT for next year. If he can't hack it then it goes to Jenkins. 

I think that is exactly what the Steelers are going to do before the draft( Chucks to LT, Banner to RT).  I fully expect 2 OTs taken in this draft but I thought they would take at least one last year.  The biggest problem I see with this draft is that Jenkins is a developmental OT.  Meaning he will not be competing for a starter spot.  I like him but he played LT when he was 20 lbs lighter.  He is a pure mauler at RT.

I would look at Liam Eichenberg(ND) in the 1st as he is a pure LT.  Samuel Cosmi might also be there and he could play LT but is a better fit at RT.

Bottom line, I would not screw around drafting a LT if there is one on the board in the 1st.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think that is exactly what the Steelers are going to do before the draft( Chucks to LT, Banner to RT).  I fully expect 2 OTs taken in this draft but I thought they would take at least one last year.  The biggest problem I see with this draft is that Jenkins is a developmental OT.  Meaning he will not be competing for a starter spot.  I like him but he played LT when he was 20 lbs lighter.  He is a pure mauler at RT.

I would look at Liam Eichenberg(ND) in the 1st as he is a pure LT.  Samuel Cosmi might also be there and he could play LT but is a better fit at RT.

Bottom line, I would not screw around drafting a LT if there is one on the board in the 1st.

Eichenberg was typed out on my mock in the 2nd, but I knew he wouldn't be there. I agree about not messing around with OT. I'd agree with that sentiment about center too. I just wanted to take Collins in my draft because I like him too much. 

• Like 1

The Steelers will either resign 1 of Villy and Banner or a vet stopgap.

They won’t go into draft with massive hole at OT...wouldn’t surprise me if they signed Banner before agency with a lil bigger deal than we’re expecting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AFF said:

The Steelers will either resign 1 of Villy and Banner or a vet stopgap.

They won’t go into draft with massive hole at OT...wouldn’t surprise me if they signed Banner before agency with a lil bigger deal than we’re expecting.

Yeah, in this one I brought back Banner. I think he's the starting RT next year. They really like him, for good reason. He was a beast in week 1. Granted that was against the G-men but still. 

Just now, jebrick said:

Collins is not an EDGE player.  He will be a ILB/SS for the Steelers

Yeah, that's what I was expecting. I think he'll take over the athletic role of Dupree. A guy that can fly around and make plays. I see him rushing the passer a good amount too, just from all over the LOS. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, in this one I brought back Banner. I think he's the starting RT next year. They really like him, for good reason. He was a beast in week 1. Granted that was against the G-men but still. 

I’m with @jebrick...Villy struggled down stretch, tight cap etc etc...Chuks to LT, Banner to RT...draft a top 3 rd OT for at worst case depth.

Banner price even on longer deal should be reasonable.

Truth be told IOL might be bigger need depending on how they do FA...Pouncey and Decastro in last years of deals and no depth currently.

I think they’ll try to land a C/OG combo guy early in draft, possibly before OT.

• Like 1

Surely Chuks will be about as good as Villy. He's always been more popular than his talent would suggest. Not saying he's bad, I just think his past makes him more popular than he is good. I could be wrong about Chuks, but I think he'll be serviceable. But there is no way they go in just Banner and Chuks, with no depth. I agree with @AFF about IOL being a big need. Center is probably our biggest need going into next season.