Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Eagles - who returns to contention first?

Apparition

steelers have a nice young core to build off of after they take this offseason hit this yr. The key will be finding a decent QB and building up a good O-line again. I don't think they will be horrible, but will take a step back next yr and maybe in 2022. The FO will have a lot of picks(2022 draft should net them some good comp picks) in the next two drafts to fill up the roster with more young talent. hopefully one is a decent QB

Edited by August4th

The Steelers will be competitive for a playoff spot next year and given that 7 teams make it, have a good chance despite a tougher schedule. Not a popular opinion, not even among Steelers fans, but Ben is not done. He still has the arm talent to make all the throws. He has less physical decline than Drew Brees had, frankly. He's not even as bad as Elway was when he won two rings to end his career.

So, the Steelers to me aren't yet in the same boat as these other teams. They have a year or two before they're looking for someone else under center and it will be business as usual for them this off-season.

1. Eagles. Whether Hurts is the guy or Wentz somehow finds his form again, NFC W, they're my pick.

2. Steelers. Similar story to the above with Ben, if he finds his form. They were doing well this season, and I think they can make playoffs next year

=3. Saints and Patriots. Saints have a far better roster, but Pats have huge space and BB. Both need QBs

Depends on what you mean by contention, I guess. Depends on what NE does at QB but my guess is both the Pats and Steelers will be in the running for wild card spots next year. The Eagles are both farther away and closer than any other team mentioned here, because the calculus is pretty clear: if Sirianni successfuly rehabilitates Wentz, then the Eagles will be in the running for the NFC East next year. If we mean the tier above that where they have legitimate championship aspirations then New England is probably a year ahead of the Eagles or Steelers just by nature of them having already started resetting this year. 

I don't know that I have a clear enough sense of what the Saints' plan and how they plan to get under the cap to really have an opinion either way. Clearly the past 2 years have shown this team can win without Brees, and this year even when he was playing it's not like he was much of a value-add. So maybe they don't miss that much of a beat next year. But it seems like there's more volatility around what they do personnel-wise this offseason so we can't just comport what they did with Teddy and/or Taysom the past 2 years to project who they are moving forward. 

This quietly is a really good question because they all have issues, My pick would be the Saints. 

Saints - They are pretty much a Quarterback away, they have a really good running game with Kamara, Murray, Hill, they have a really good receiving corp with the best WR in the game, and has a really strong defense in a pretty easy conference outside of the Bucs

Patriots - Have a great scheme with literally no playmakers at all

Steelers - Have an old QB with a dying arm, no running game to take the pressure off of Ben, inconsistent WRs and will be completely gutted by FA (Not saying they won't return but he odds are stacked against them)Also in a pretty tough conference

Eagles - Not really a fan of their WRs, New HC, lose Jim Schwartz who had an above average defense, defensive backs are meh.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This quietly is a really good question because they all have issues, My pick would be the Saints. 

Saints - They are pretty much a Quarterback away, they have a really good running game with Kamara, Murray, Hill, they have a really good receiving corp with the best WR in the game, and has a really strong defense in a pretty easy conference outside of the Bucs

They're also set to be $120 mil over the cap, so they're gonna have to pare down a bunch of that talent. 

I don't think it will be us...although with our cap room and how the structuring will be next season, we will be able to take some talent away from other teams. 

I'd go Phillie. It was a surprise to me that they were this bad this season, so I'm not about to predict a continual trend of crapness. 

On 1/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, Jeezla said:

Saints have an awesome OL, Michael Thomas, Kamara, and a young D besides Jenkins. They'll be right back in the mix if they pick Jameis over the gimmick QB or sign some other half decent QB. If Matt Ryan gets cut, he should go to NO. 1 year league minimum to chase a ring.

Saints also have probably the worst cap that is going to require them to make some extremely tough decisions about players already on their roster, they’re not gonna have room to bring in any outside free agents lol

On 1/26/2021 at 7:34 PM, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers will be competitive for a playoff spot next year and given that 7 teams make it, have a good chance despite a tougher schedule. Not a popular opinion, not even among Steelers fans, but Ben is not done. He still has the arm talent to make all the throws. He has less physical decline than Drew Brees had, frankly. He's not even as bad as Elway was when he won two rings to end his career.

So, the Steelers to me aren't yet in the same boat as these other teams. They have a year or two before they're looking for someone else under center and it will be business as usual for them this off-season.

I sort of agree. I don't think it's Ben's arm as much as the rest of his body. Yeah he can make those quick passes and even downfield passes. He can only do it if comfortable though. He used to extend plays as much or more than any QB with getting out of sacks or rolling out. He isn't comfortable or capable of doing that anymore. Now when he goes downfield he throws it sooner than what is comfortable or even to well covered guys. There isn't much freestyle going on and that was when he was at his best.

The league knows this and knows how to keep him off balance so I don't know if there is a fix for him at this stage of his career. His best bet is to go back to early Ben when he relied on his defense and a good ground game. That isn't in his control though. If Ben stays around they should probably go all in, as much as they can with their cap situation, and get the running game rolling and let Ben take advantage of teams committing to stop that.

I'd have to pick the Patriots, not for homer reasons, but because they have a) The best cap situation and b) BB.

That Bill put together a 7-9 season with that roster and passing game averaging <200/game is very impressive, and it was only 3 plays from 10-6. Cannon comes back, strengthening the OL which is already the best unit on the team. A couple of defensive leaders come back to a D which was already top 10 in scoring. They have a decent stable of running backs.

A good coach can do a lot with good defense, a good OL and some skill at runningback.

Assuming White/Edelman are both gone, they'll have something approaching 70mil in cap space to address their (serious) issues at WR and TE. Would be shock if they were worse than 8-8 next year, and a winning record wouldn't surprise me. Whether or not they can actually become a true "contender" obviously depends on the QB situation.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, Starless said:

They're also set to be $120 mil over the cap, so they're gonna have to pare down a bunch of that talent. 

Yeah it’s gonna be a really different saints team and not just because Brees won’t be there