Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Eagles - who returns to contention first?

Apparition

6 hours ago, Dome said:

People with a better understanding of contracts and NFL salary cap rigging have found even more money to save than I did there as well.

salary cap is fake 

As a Rams fan I know this all too well - just hadn't seen a breakdown for the Saints yet

5 hours ago, Asciimo said:

ah so just keep kicking the can until the organization is forced to dissolve because it can't afford to pay all these people's salaries.

It's not that big of a deal.  No one is worried about this except a few random internet people.   I mean, we don't expect to have the best roster in the league and sign a bunch of free agents.  We know we had our window, and we know we can't keep everybody every year forever.

8 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

They won in spite of Brees all year. His arm is completely shot and he was very clearly not 100%. The defense is elite. Barring major injury I’d bet a lot of money the Saints go 10-6 with Winston at QB. 

The salary cap is a joke, and the Saints will prove that when they get above the cap this off-season. 

It begins...

Sorry but I don't get how this "cap is fake" meme works. 

What's the point in saying "Yeah, we're over the cap but we can get under it by our QB retiring and then cutting a bunch of key players, thus leaving us just enough cap space to sign 5-10 draft picks and the collection of cheap JAGs we need to fill all the roster spots."

Nobody is saying any team over the cap is doomed to the shadow realm. But in order to get back under the cap you need to severely weaken your team and likely end your turn at the top of the NFL pile. That's not the cap being fake, that's the cap doing literally exactly what it was designed to do. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

What's the point in saying "Yeah, we're over the cap but we can get under it by our QB retiring and then cutting a bunch of key players, thus leaving us just enough cap space to sign 5-10 draft picks and the collection of cheap JAGs we need to fill all the roster spots."

Nobody is saying any team over the cap is doomed to the shadow realm. But in order to get back under the cap you need to severely weaken your team and likely end your turn at the top of the NFL pile. That's not the cap being fake, that's the cap doing literally exactly what it was designed to do. 

What key players will the Saints have to cut? Kwon Alexander was going to be cut regardless, he tore his Achilles. Janoris Jenkins is probably the only guy who will be cut that was a significant contributor. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Sounds like something that someone who foolishly believes in the salary cap would say 

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Nobody is saying any team over the cap is doomed to the shadow realm.

On a serious note: Someone joked that the Saints would have to fold and another said the Saints wouldn’t be recognizable next year. 

Joking about how the cap is fake is just fighting fire with fire. Nobody truly believes the cap is fake, just that it’s so easily manipulated that you can make the joke that it’s fake.

I posted a mock showing how the Saints could get under the cap even if they paid Brees his entire salary, and the only cut that really stung would be Janoris Jenkins, and Kwon to an extent but he was a new face this year anyways, brought in as a luxury. This idea that the Saints are going to have to cut their whole core or that they’re going to be unrecognizable is a less accurate joke than saying the cap is fake

Edited by Dome