Steelers set to name Canada OC

warfelg

Anyone talking up Haley, just ask yourself why he's not even in the league anymore. The guy is coaching high school football now and it's not because he has FU money.

Haley benefited from the team investing a lot of draft capital in the offense and hitting a homerun on the Antonio Brown pick. They rebuilt the OL over a period of years when they gave Arians trash to work with (Sean Mahan says hi). The early part of their career, the team took the approach of devaluing the OL and letting Ben be Ben. I don't know who to put that on, but that was an organizational choice and it was kind of bogus that Arians took all the blame for Ben getting hit given the circumstances.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:44 PM, 43M said:

Whiz wasnt special either, but I feel like his time here was a bit muted due to the fact he was running a Marty-ball offense under Cowhers direction.

I think time proved Whiz was a pretty conservative guy himself, and truthfully the Steelers got a Super Bowl out of it in 2008. But when Cowher got out of his way in 2005, he legitimately did a great job in the playoffs designing new wrinkles each and every week.

One thing sorely missing as the coaching talent has deteriorated is that there is no extra level come January. They have nothing new to pull out and their too intellectually lazy to even consider changing things up for the post-season. If Fitchner had been fired in the second half of the season and Canada promoted, I'd wager the Steelers beat the Browns and play on. Canada may not end up being the guy, but they desperately needed a new approach. Break their own patterns.

• Like 1

Haley was ok, but lets see:

Munchak for the OL and the OL WAS talented back then

Bell and that OL were good

AB was the best WR

so while we diss fichner, he never had quite the same opportunity as Haley.  Still, the 2020 steelers offence is the worst Steelers offence have watched and thats BAD

If you think the 2020 Steelers offense was worse than some of what we got during the Kordell years, I don't know what you are smoking. Yea, it had some rough moments in the final few games, but season long they were nowhere near as inept as the offense was when they were trotting out Kent Graham every other series or whatever it was that Cowher did to start 2000.

2000:

#1 Rushing offense, #29 Passing offense, #17 overall

2020:

#15 Passing offense, #32 Rushing offense, #12 overall

This was Ben's only year (disregarding 2019) where his AV was a single digit, it's the Steelers worst passing offense where he's missed 2 or less games since his second season, and our offensive efficiency was it's worse ever under Ben.