It's unacceptable that we can't run the football.

BleedTheClock

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

With how much money we've invested in it, to have a bottom half of the league run game is unacceptable. And it's not the lack of carries. We are averaging 3.8 yards per carry, which is 24th in the league.

Why is this? (schematics vs. players)

How do we fix this?

be able to pass the ball, then use duke

I think a big part of the reason is because we fall behind a lot and for the most part Crow hasn't been as effective, though he has had some good runs. I also think a part of it is play calling. Hue doesn't seem to be adjusting his play calling for Kizer. The offense looks a lot better with Hogan, but, as Candyman stated, Hogan was in a pro-style offense in college, plus his one year of getting to know the system helps.

We may be able to run the ball more with Hogan in instead of Kizer, but, I still firmly believe Hue needs to hire an OC that knows his system and will run it instead of trying to be a OC and HC for a team like the Browns. We are in rebuilding mode and have been for some time; I think that makes it harder for someone to try to be a HC and OC/DC at the same time.

Combination of things. Defenses focusing on quickly shutting down the run early on, knowing we aren't going to do much throwing the ball and will probably give it straight to their offense, who will then get a lead and end the run game. Making us one dimensional and easy to beat. Though we are so bad that we start the game being one dimensional already, if that.

Also using an overrated and slow footed guy as our primary back. And we're kind of a finesse line. Although I think they are more than capable of generating a good run game if we got Duke more carries and was playing more fluidly with a threatening passing game and competitive scoreline.

3 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I think Crow is a big reason why, I also feel Kizer not playing under centre much hurts a little as well

Kizer is a huge reason why. Looking back at the Cincinnati game, Ogbah forces a turnover in Bengals territory, and we get 5 yards on first down. 2nd and 5, we are in shotgun formation, Kizer hands off to Crowell and BOOM...5 yard loss. Kizer is out of shotgun so much, and when he isn't, the defense is almost certain he is going to be handing the ball off, so they can defend that with ease. Running the football also takes a rhythm for almost every team to be consistent. We haven't been doing that, as soon as we are down, we are throwing. I think Hue has tried to force the passing game because he wants to develop Kizer, but to win games, we need to run. Last weekend we actually ran the football and did fine. YPC isn't everything, yards gained means more to me. 

3 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Kizer is a huge reason why. Looking back at the Cincinnati game, Ogbah forces a turnover in Bengals territory, and we get 5 yards on first down. 2nd and 5, we are in shotgun formation, Kizer hands off to Crowell and BOOM...5 yard loss. Kizer is out of shotgun so much, and when he isn't, the defense is almost certain he is going to be handing the ball off, so they can defend that with ease. Running the football also takes a rhythm for almost every team to be consistent. We haven't been doing that, as soon as we are down, we are throwing. I think Hue has tried to force the passing game because he wants to develop Kizer, but to win games, we need to run. Last weekend we actually ran the football and did fine. YPC isn't everything, yards gained means more to me. 

I dunno, YPC certainly means something. Whether you are a homerun hitting running game where you run plays that will lose yards or get no/short gains in attempts to bust a big one occasionally or if you are a straight ahead 3 yards at a time (plus the times where that turns into 7) you really should be about 4 ypc on average to show that your style is effective.

Our RB is a bad fit for our offense, those handoffs from the shotgun that are schemed to the outside is almost equivalent to the QB taking a knee. Crowell's effectiveness out of the shotgun is basically running the draw up the middle, or at least between tackles without dancing around, just one cut and get what you can. We can't be that predictable though so it isn't going to work as a complete running game. Duke would fit the RB role better but I don't know if he is durable enough, he should probably be limited to 10 carries per and the rest as a receiver/receiving back. A Gio Bernard works better in Hue's offense than a Jeremy Hill most of the time. For that reason I'd be ok with getting what we can from Crowell in a trade. Same with Kessler, just get what we can and add someone with their vacated roster spot. Unless of course we decide to alter our offense to fit either/both of them, I think we'd be a better offense if we did that but I also don't see that happening.

Archived