Are the Chiefs approaching Patriots level in the eyes of neutral fans?

notthatbluestuff

No. A big part of the Patriots hatred is that they basically were a blockade for so many other teams and players achieving greatness. The Steelers lost 3 AFCCG’s to the Pats. Manning had his first two MVP seasons in the 2000’s at the peak of the Colts era end because they ran into them. The peak Rivers/LT/Gates Chargers got upset in the playoffs in 06. The Rams and Seahawks did not become a dynasty because of the Pats. The 28-3 game is going to be the biggest hurdle for Ryan getting in the HOF and was the best chance that franchise ever had. They are reason Andy Reid’s Chief team with McNabb and Dawkins and all those guys don’t have rings. They cut off two very good Ravens teams. More recently they are the reason Mahomes break out year ended. 

That built up over so many years that I don’t think anyone will ever truly equal it. People will get annoyed because some people would rather underdogs or whatever playing for titles (which I’ll never understand) but unless it goes on indefinitely I doubt it can achieve that level of absolute hatred. Like take it this way, the first Pats SB run basically pissed off Raiders and Rams fans to this day. Raiders fans still complain about the Tuck Rule. And that team had no shot of winning anything that year unlike most of the teams I mentioned. 

Take the last two playoff runs of the Chiefs. Until the SB they just beat teams that were happy to be there. Texans and Titans. They didn’t have to be the ones to undercut the Ravens with the MVP. This year they beat two team that were quite frankly already feeling like Cinderella and were going to be happy just to get this far. The 49’ers I guess would be the team that could feel like they cut off by the Chiefs. But it’s not like the Chiefs run so far has come at the expense of negatively impacting the legacy of others. 

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

...nobody? Not even a certain someone?

I won’t name names, so don’t twist my arm.

What you did there? I see it.

Yeah... I don't LIKE him. But that's it. And we'll hopefully will leave it at that.

No, not yet. Something about the “Evil Empire” feeling the Patriots gave is hard for any team to match. 

The problem with any sports dynasty team is the fans become unbearable (I think we’re seeing that with a certain someone). That’s one of the main reasons I start to turn on a sports dynasty team. Not the winning but the obnoxious fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirill said:

I told y'all the Ravens would win then lose to the bills who would then lose to the chiefs. Also had the Bucs beating the Packers.

If you're mad at me for being right about pretty much everything despite it being the unpopular choice in the GDT polls then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to be wrong just so I can have the popular opinion. I'm going to continue being right.

tenor.gif?itemid=7398431

• Like 1

(crap)

(crap)

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

There's only one reason (person) why I'd want KC to lose, someone who really doesn't impact anything KC actually does.

Exhibit A and B, ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, -Hope- said:

mahomes and reid are a significantly more likable pair than brady and belichick, so i think it'll take longer for them to reach villain status- division rivals etc aside, i'm sure.

This. And at least so far, they haven’t been accused (and also caught) by a bunch of other teams doing certain activities that may or may not be in the scope of the rules.

Also, they haven’t reached full bandwagon saturation yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This. And at least so far, they haven’t been accused (and also caught) by a bunch of other teams doing certain activities that may or may not be in the scope of the rules.

Meh Belichick and Brady were pretty likeable very early on and people kinda forget how liked the original dynasty was with those 03 and 04 teams. Brady was the plucky underdog and the ultimate Cinderella story for what he was doing and Bill was the coach that was known as a failure that Kraft took a chance on and allowed him to do it there way. 

It was really around the 07 season with Spygate and 16-0 that the league by and large started turning the corner on them. 

Bandwagon stuff is overplayed though. Every dynasty has a bandwagon and then retains them. The Cowboys and Steelers in the 70's picked up fans from all over who weren't happy with only seeing their team suck on tv and wanting to latch onto the only successful teams that got nationally televisied. The Cowboys did it again in the 90's. The Niner's were huge and people fell in love with Monatana. That's literally how big fanbases end up being built. And because it went 20 years, most fans under the age of 30 hardly remember the NFL before the Brady/Bill era. 

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There is no "may or may not"s about it, they were caught clearly violating the rules multiple times. And why stop now when you'll only be docked a 4th round pick for your latest infraction?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

There is no "may or may not"s about it, they were caught clearly violating the rules multiple times. And why stop now when you'll only be docked a 4th round pick for your latest infraction?

I’m just trying to avoid conflict by outright saying it.

27 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Bandwagon stuff is overplayed though. Every dynasty has a bandwagon and then retains them.

Oh no it isn’t. Pats fans are everywhere, almost always with no actual connection to New England. And there are way more of them (at least where I am) than even the Cowboys had. I doubt the Chiefs will ever get to that degree.

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh no it isn’t. Pats fans are everywhere, almost always with no actual connection to New England. And there are way more of them (at least where I am) than even the Cowboys had. I doubt the Chiefs will ever get to that degree.

Looks like most of them types have gone to Tampa's bandwagon

• Like 1