Are the Chiefs approaching Patriots level in the eyes of neutral fans?

notthatbluestuff

5 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Nah, the big bad is still Brady regardless of team

He'll retire soon, then there's a huge hatred void in the league (apparently people need hate)

So it will be the Chiefs who fill that void if they win this superbowl, or maybe even lose this superbowl. We're next. 

We've already hit the stage of denial - Bills won the prediction poll, for example, despite the clear gulf in class

Edited by BigTrav
  • Like 2

Patriots made for a way better villain/ heel than the Chiefs. Tell me when the Chiefs get 20 years of headlines about cheating and a “bff with the commissioner” owner making headlines getting caught up with human traffickers (not to mention a QB who doesn’t like berries or ice cream and throws tantrums when Terrell Suggs looks at him...). Patriots were just easier to get the hate machine rolling.

2000-2010 was also the platinum age of them NFL. The stardom in the league at that time likely won’t be matched so there were a lot more big personalities and mad men than nowadays.

Yeah it kinda sucks in the AFC but I like my Ravens having dragons to slay. I just hope our games against KC begin to look like the classic Ravens/Pats games instead of the recent Ravens/Chiefs games. Villains are good for the game, but blowing out anyone sniffing contention isn’t great for league parity and neutral fans.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m just trying to avoid conflict by outright saying it.

Oh no it isn’t. Pats fans are everywhere, almost always with no actual connection to New England. And there are way more of them (at least where I am) than even the Cowboys had. I doubt the Chiefs will ever get to that degree.

You do realize New England routinely has a significant amount of transplants all over the country right? Like it’s really not uncommon for New Englanders to flood Florida or CA

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You do realize New England routinely has a significant amount of transplants all over the country right? Like it’s really not uncommon for New Englanders to flood Florida or CA

You do realize that my specific complaint was over people with no connection to New England, right?

I am well aware that people move.

Just now, lancerman said:

I doubt New Englanders are relocating at a pace bigger than other metros for Pats fans to be more prevalent. My guess would be a lot of immigrants or new sports fans will go where the winning is; afterall, a losing team don't have much allure. The Cowboys had nearly a decade of dominance, and the Pats had two. I think that's a better explanation for Cowboys fans being everywhere in the 90s and Pats fans being everywhere now.

45 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

He'll retire soon, then there's a huge hatred void in the league (apparently people need hate)

So it will be the Chiefs who fill that void if they win this superbowl, or maybe even lose this superbowl. We're next. 

We've already hit the stage of denial - Bills won the prediction poll, for example, despite the clear gulf in class

This is what I said in the Rodgers MVP thread and got criticised for it. They simply hate Mahomes. Which is fine, just be honest about it. Then we can engage in civilized discussion and be more accurate with our predictions like me.

Edited by Kirill

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This is what I said in the Rodgers' MVP thread and got criticised for it. They simply hate Mahomes.

No they don't. Rodgers was simply the better choice this year. I can't believe that you are still crying about this...but oh wait..."you don't care about the MVP"...

1 minute ago, Forge said:

No they don't. Rodgers was simply the better choice this year. I can't believe that you are still crying about this...but oh wait..."you don't care about the MVP"...

You're not a Chiefs fan you don't get it. You probably hate the guy too, it's fine.

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You do realize that my specific complaint was over people with no connection to New England, right?

I am well aware that people move.

Again like I said, every dynasty had this thing happen. The fact that the current one is the most notable because it’s recent and also lasted longer doesn’t really change that. Some people never gave a **** about the team in their area and wanted to go with the team that gave them the most enjoyment. Same reason you see Lebron jerseys everywhere and in the 90’s saw Jordan everywhere 

34 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I doubt New Englanders are relocating at a pace bigger than other metros for Pats fans to be more prevalent. My guess would be a lot of immigrants or new sports fans will go where the winning is; afterall, a losing team don't have much allure. The Cowboys had nearly a decade of dominance, and the Pats had two. I think that's a better explanation for Cowboys fans being everywhere in the 90s and Pats fans being everywhere now.

That’s part of it definitely. But there’s also just a lot of former New Englanders in bigger areas like Florida and SoCal. You see it less in the Midwest, but in all the hotspots you get an influx of them. 

Sometimes it’s even just non sports fans that moved there for college and then jumped on the train because they never had a team and then followed them still wherever they went. 

Just now, Kirill said:

The majority of people picked the Bills to win the Chiefs game. You're telling me these guys don't hate Mahomes and aren't blinded by it?

I wouldn't be presumptuous to assume that I know what dozens of disparate people were thinking when they selected the bills over the chiefs. Hating you is just as likely as hating mahomes.