My Season End Review

bigbadbuff

I’ll start off by saying this....wow. Wow what a season, wow what grit, heart, determination, growth this franchise showed. 15-4!!!! In a COVID infested season none the less.

I’m going to try to break up this post into different segments to try and review different units, and a couple of individuals that deserve the spot light.

Let’s start from the top shall we?

Brandon and Sean

Brandon Beane should be the executive of the year, and Sean McDermott should be the coach of the year. It’s really that simple. What this franchise is now, compared to where they were the previous 20 years is a complete 180. Brandon seams to make moves that always work. How often as fans were we SCREAMING for the front office to make a move, to fill holes, to get a STAR to take the team to the next level only to feel completely deflated when those needs weren’t addressed? Not with Brandon Beane, he just seems to “get it.” He sees what we as fans see, he knows what has to be done and does what he needs to to put our team in a position to win. It’s so refreshing to have no worries about the direction our team will go heading into the offseason, i have complete faith in our GM.

Sean McDermott man. I can’t say enough about this guy. A leader of men, a players coach, he adapts and grows each and every season. What did we get on him for early in his tenure? Being aggressive, what has he become? One of the more aggressive coaches in the league (which boggles my mind that he settled for field goals against the Chiefs). He’s taken steps forward as a coach that gives me faith going into each and every game that we will be prepared. He’s learned it seems to not to take the foot off the gas, and trust your personnel. Being a defensive guy, you’d think he’s about ground and pound and trust the defense, but he’s shown that he can coach in the modern NFL and game plan around a passing attack.  He has this team ready each and every week. The true testament to him is what we do out of the bye. We win games. He’s blue collar, he’s hard nosed, he’s Buffalo through and through. As i previously mentioned the couple of mistakes i thought he made in the AFCCG game, i have full faith he realizes that and will be better. That’s what he does. I want this guy as out HC for the next 20 years. He’s awesome.

The Defense/Special Teams

What a roller coaster they were this year. From starting terrible to finishing the regular season and going into the post season hot, they were so up and down. It’s surprising because they were out backbone the last couple of seasons. I chalk this up to the shortened off season, and early injuries, the talent is there and they got better as the season progressed. I have faith in Sean as a coach to always have this unit towards the top of the league. We could use another corner, and definitely need a premiere pass rusher (how that happens I’m not sure, BEANE DA GAWD perhaps?), but we still have Tre, Poyer, and Hyde anchoring us, so we will never be “bad.” Edmunds was a roller coaster by himself, again battling injuries but came on later in the year. Ed Oliver needs to take the next step, he looked better in the playoffs, but man i really hope he becomes the force i thought he would be coming out of Houston. 

Special Teams was great all year, Roberts was awesome for the most part, Ba$$ is awesome, and Bono is also awesome. Keep this thing going.

The Offense

What did we just witness? I mean seriously, where did that come from? I can’t put into words the growth, and explosiveness of this unit. It came out of no where, and completely blew expectations out of the water. We need to upgrade our running game, whether it’s the offensive line, or running backs, whatever, it just needs to be figured out. If there is any complaint, it’s being too one dimensional, even if that one dimension is dominant. Cole Beasley is just that dude. What a player. I vividly remember the thread in the news forum mocking this signing. Who is laughing now? A career year that would’ve been over 1,000 yards if not for injury in week 16. I love Bease. Gabe Davis had a heck of a rookie year too and really helped us win the WC game against Indy. Knox came on late in the season too. Just need to keep growing together, the future is so bright.

Stefon Diggs

What is there to say? He came and delivered. I was such a big fan of his and i didn’t even realize he was this good. What a force, what player, what a difference maker. He’s a DOG. He wants to win so badly you can see the emotion each and every week. What he’s done for Josh, for the offense, and for this team cannot be talked about enough. He’s a franchise changer. The picture of him on the sidelines after the game watching KC receive their trophy is entrenched in my mind. He wants that more than anything. It’s going to fuel him and this team next season and I’m so excited to watch.

Josh Allen

How’s it feel boys? We got our guy. What a ******* jump. Easily the greatest improvement in one season a QB has ever made. Absolutely remarkable. This is the hardest review for me to make because I’m just so speechless over it. What can i say? Anything i say will be doing a disservice to him and what he did this year. All i know is we have our guy to go to war with and he is Bills Mafia through and through. Such a joy to watch and root for and i can’t wait to watch his career unfold. The intangibles have always been there, but now stats are catching up. Our team is in good hands with him. What a season.

We made it to the conference finals and it stings to not have won, but as the narrative from this team has been in exit interviews has been... we will be back.

Go Bills

Edited by bigbadbuff
  • Like 2

Nicely done!! I share a lot of the same sentiments as you. It was one heck of a ride that 28 other teams wish they could have done too. 

We really need to get Ed Oliver some help up front. He rarely, if ever saw one on ones. The DL needs an entire make over this off-season. I hope the Bills add another star CB who can play man so that’s the Bills aren’t so predictable on defense. The loss of Star, Zo and Lawson was certainly felt early in the season.

Offensively, the Bills will be just fine in 2021. Daboll, Allen, Beasley and Diggs are all back and the passing game should continue to fly with them. Another jump from Knox and one from Davis would be icing on the cake. The Bills need to figure something out up front. OG is an issue and Singletary regressed so much over the last month it’s unreal. I really like Moss and think he’s the clear best back on the roster, but injuries are a concern. 

If the offense wants to take the next step, they need another difference maker. We need a Legit number 2 option behind Diggs that we can go to when the defense takes him away. Whether it’s a better running game, a stud WR or TE it doesn’t matter. Bills will need that for another run next season.