Sources say Rodgers wants new contract

Siman08/OH

13 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

What makes you think anyone in GB has a "real good idea" of what they have in Love?  Was it the cancelled pre-season, the abbreviated camp, or the complete lack of live snaps in his rookie season?

I think they know what they have due to seeing him in practice.  I had heard that he was throwing to tryout WR's...and not looking good.  Friend of a friend stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

Reminds me a little of Rodgers way back when.

Like Rodgers, Love has the tools you want.  Just going to take a little time for him to get dialed into the pro game.

I'm still very hopeful for Love.

But clearly, his future is muddy here.  Rodgers just played what may have been his best or one of his best seasons.  Wasn't even beat up.  Rodgers can play like this for a long time.

Either he is our QB for the next 4 years, or we will trade him for a very, very nice return.  If I were to guess, we will keep him until he decides to hang 'em up.  I guess I don't see Rodgers as someone who will ask for a trade.  I see him more like someone who will want to prove that the team made a mistake by drafting his heir replacement.

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

What makes you think anyone in GB has a "real good idea" of what they have in Love?  Was it the cancelled pre-season, the abbreviated camp, or the complete lack of live snaps in his rookie season?

What makes you think they don't?   Of course they do, they know what they have now.  Love may need to have played on Madden for you to know, but a professional staff in this amount of time with this amount of practice and film break down time has a real good idea.  He has been heavily challenged by this coaching staff. Rodgers knows what they know as well.  If 12 is extended in the way it is likely to go down, Love's time in Green Bay is limited.  Hopefully we can recover some draft comp for him, but we sure won't cover a 1 and a 4.  No doubt, if he can positively showcase some skills in pre-season it might help strengthen our lever.  If Boyle is again ahead of him on the depth chart at the start of next season it doesn't bode well.

7 minutes ago, 15412 said:

What makes you think they don't?   Of course they do, they know what they have now.  Love may need to have played on Madden for you to know, but a professional staff in this amount of time with this amount of practice and film break down time has a real good idea.  He has been heavily challenged by this coaching staff. Rodgers knows what they know as well.  If 12 is extended in the way it is likely to go down, Love's time in Green Bay is limited.  Hopefully we can recover some draft comp for him, but we sure won't cover a 1 and a 4.  No doubt, if he can positively showcase some skills in pre-season it might help strengthen our lever.  If Boyle is again ahead of him on the depth chart at the start of next season it doesn't bode well.

I agree .. they have a decent idea of what they have in Love.  It's the fan that has no idea.  I would go as far as to say that Aaron Rodgers probably has a pretty good idea of what Love can be.  I think it's a good thing that there seems to be some insecurity with Rodgers at this stage of the game.  Kind of makes me feel like he views Love as a viable threat to his starting gig on down the line.

Andrew Brandt / SI  - 

I watched three prominent ESPN personalities tell me last week that Rodgers had played his last game for the Packers. I heard about Aaron’s home in Los Angeles and how he is from the San Francisco area. Please. He’s not going anywhere (this year).

First, the obvious: The Packers will not trade the best player in the NFL, not to mention incurring the cap-busting $32 million in dead money if they did. They are not stupid. Although there is this: Unlike the Texans and Watson, there will be a separation between the Packers and their star QB, one I have predicted since April. The only question is whether that will come in 2022 or 2023.

The Packers’ selection of quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 draft made me say something I thought I would never say: There is an expiration date on Rodgers and the Packers. First-round quarterbacks play. They don’t back up, they don’t get traded, they all play—the only question is when. Aaron sat for three long years; no other first-round quarterback since has sat for nearly that long. I predicted a two-year apprenticeship for Love back in April, and—if forced to choose a date of transfer—I still predict that.

Aaron was much more compliant about the selection of a first-round quarterback in 2020 than Brett Favre was in 2005 when we took Rodgers. That selection caused an immediate negative response from Favre and his agent, not to mention fans and media.

Rodgers’s statements since the NFC championship game have illustrated the need for an open and honest conversation between the Packers and Rodgers about the future. If I were Aaron’s agents, I would say this to the team: “O.K., Jordan is going to play, I get it. When? 2022? 2023?” Transparency breeds trust.

Many have speculated that Rodgers may want a contract adjustment or extension. An adjustment? Perhaps. An extension? Unlikely.

I wrote about the conundrum of Rodgers’s contract negotiation in 2018. There was talk about the possibility of unprecedented terms in that contract: adjustability to the marketplace, percentage of the cap, multiple future guaranteed years, etc. And, in my opinion, had Rodgers waited until he got closer to free agency, those groundbreaking precedents would have been in play. But the Packers were smart: They threw a ton of money at him—including a record $58 million signing bonus—and he signed as they maintained their cherished structure.

Rodgers has three years left on that deal. Extending it solely to push out cap room is not a “Packers” thing to do. When I managed their cap, I had a real reluctance to push out cap pain, always cognizant of leaving the team in the best position to succeed. They still have that philosophy.

I can see the Packers adding no-strings-attached money into this year’s compensation. The extra money would not—or should not—be proratable bonus that adds to future cap pain; rather, it should simply be salary or roster bonus (nonproratable). Why do this? Well, Rodgers is, to put it bluntly, both the NFL MVP and a placeholder for Love. The Packers have had it both ways this year; next year may not be as easy.

The bottom line for Rodgers is the same as for Wentz and the Eagles and Watson and the Texans: He won’t go anywhere. I know I’m lonely on this hill, but I’m embracing the rationality.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree .. they have a decent idea of what they have in Love.  It's the fan that has no idea.  I would go as far as to say that Aaron Rodgers probably has a pretty good idea of what Love can be.  I think it's a good thing that there seems to be some insecurity with Rodgers at this stage of the game.  Kind of makes me feel like he views Love as a viable threat to his starting gig on down the line.

I would amend that slightly. The management knows what they have in Love NOW. What he will be like with another year of practice, preseason  (and maybe some fill-in time in real games), is harder to know.

Rodgers came on a whole lot from the rather cocky rookie that first came here. Just the act of waiting, learning and watching real games with Brett in as QB, taught him a huge amount. That could apply as much or even more with Love watching Rodgers at the helm for a couple of seasons (and Aaron is not against Love in the way Brett was to Aaron).

I think being able to sit for a year or two (or three) can make a huge difference to the readiness and ability of a QB when he finally gets his chance to be the bona fide, full-time starter.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

There was a Super Bowl winning coach that also thought Brett Hundley was a competent NFL starting QB.   Sometimes what you think you know is not the case.

• Like 1

I can agree with that, 1265.  But I don't think Hundley is a like comparison.  Hundley a 5th Round pick, not a guy we gave a 1 and 4 for.  Hundley was also never drafted to be the possible heir apparent to 12.  He was just a guy we drafted, took a flyer on.  That's what a 5th Round QB is, until he can prove otherwise.  Most don't.  The Seahags gave less than that to give him a chance as a back up.  Which is what he still is, if the Cards don't cut him.

Boyle is a restricted FA.  IF we let him walk without a sniff from us that would be telling.  If we end up re-signing him for a small dollar 1 year deal it means nothing.  If we re-sign him to a 3 year deal with a little padding it does mean something.  If Boyle in any event is ahead of Love on the depth chart at the start of the season it says a ton.

And now for something completely different, what if Aaron is looking at his hometown favorite 49ers and thinks probably correctly that he could win a title next year with the Niner's. It seems pretty obvious that he desires a second title, if not more to cement his legacy, what better place than his local? After watching Brady this year, is there any reason to think he couldn't pull it off with the Niner's.  There defense is definitely better as are their offensive weapons. Aaron has made enough money and his ego wants championships, so maybe he says F-it and forces a deal.

9 minutes ago, Redt said:

And now for something completely different, what if Aaron is looking at his hometown favorite 49ers and thinks probably correctly that he could win a title next year with the Niner's. It seems pretty obvious that he desires a second title, if not more to cement his legacy, what better place than his local? After watching Brady this year, is there any reason to think he couldn't pull it off with the Niner's.  There defense is definitely better as are their offensive weapons. Aaron has made enough money and his ego wants championships, so maybe he says F-it and forces a deal.

If he was intent on forcing a deal his recent comments make absolutely zero sense. 

38 minutes ago, Redt said:

OK..so what do you think GB would want and how much would SF be willing to give up?

2021 pick 1st (12) 2nd (43) + a young player or 2 (Nick Bosa/ Deebo Samuel/Brandon Aiyuk)

46 minutes ago, Redt said:

49ers are in a more difficult cap situation than the Packers are. They simply cannot afford Rodgers

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

49ers are in a more difficult cap situation than the Packers are. They simply cannot afford Rodgers

SF can cut Jimmy G and save $23M in cap for 2021.   They could afford Rodgers pretty easily as $11.5M of rodgers $37.5M cap hit stays with GB.  Swapping Jimmy G for Rodgers is only a about $3M more for SF in cap space for 2021.  SF is $11M on the + side of the cap currently (that is the $175M projection as well)

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Honestly, if this is his state of mind (which I doubt) then just trade him. Why would the Packers sacrifice the future of the organization to appease one player? That would be terrible management.

18 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

This article doesn’t make a lot of sense. If he so desperately wants an all in year, demanding a new contract in which he’ll force the team to pay top dollar for “revenge” is a really stupid way to get what you wish for.