Sources say Rodgers wants new contract

Siman08/OH

4 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Give Aaron what he wants. If he wants the extra year that overlaps with Love, I dont care. He deserves it and hes coming off a dominating season. 

If he regresses next season and the team needs an obvious rebuild... Trade him. 

Can't see a team trading anything significant for a regressing player with a bloated contract. 

Florio is always looking for clickbait, and, he comes from a position that the players always deserve MORE and that ownership is EVIL and GREEDY.  Remember several years ago, he was leading the charge for Rodgers to get his contract salary set up on a percentage of the salary cap.  Hardly even brought that up when Mahomes was negotiating his new deal.  So he loves articles that could cause dissention with the Packers.   He pours gas on fires not water.  He would not write these articles if it were the Vikings, or if he did, they would be toned down.   That's the way he rolls.

On the other hand, nobody forced Rodgers to say what he said right after the game.  Rodgers is a highly intelligent, deliberate person.  He is normally careful with his words to the press.  So he is after something here.

A couple of key points:

1. Rogers has always stated he wants to play his whole career with the Packers. 
  2. He stated he wants to play to 40.
  3. He is highly competitive and wants to be valued and appreciated.

From an outsiders perspective, most analysts thought Rodgers performance was trending downward for the past 2 or 3 years.  I'm sure the Packers took note of that performance and drafted Love as insurance for this.  The drafting of Love was a shock to Rodgers ego and put his first point above in peril and the way the contract works, the team could easily trade him after next year.

Then, Rodgers goes out and works really hard in the offseason getting his body right.  He also works diligently with LeFleur and our OC to get the offensive system right.  The combination of these factors lead Rodgers to have one of his best, if not his best year ever.  He has stated he loves the new system, and has a great relationship with LeFleur and the OC.  This new system works to protect his body and his career.  

Maybe in light of all this Rodgers is now thinking he wants to keep playing past 40 and would like to play for the Packers, but wants assurances from the team he is not going to get traded and that they want to keep him.  So why not play the cards he is playing now.....I would.

So let's assume Rodgers wants all of this:

1. I now think I can play to 42 at a high level.
  2. If you want me, restructure my contract to reassure me you want me (both financially and for stability).

If the team thinks that Rodgers can now play to 42 and he is your man for those additional 2 - 3 years, work with him.  So work with him to accomplish the following:

1. Extend and restructure the contract so that it provides significant cap relief in 2021.  I would want a goal of lowering his cap from $37 million next year to around $20 million.  Push the big money out until he is 39 and the cap is probably over $235 million.  Our window of opportunity to win the Super Bowl is with him for the next several years so that cap relief is necessary to bring in or retain players that help us win.  Tell him that with cap relief you can go out and keep valuable assets for him like Adams.  He would want that.  The more assets you bring in or keep, the better the team.  The better the chances of getting rings.  He contract extension has to help facilitate the goal.  With Rodgers extended you have a better chance of keeping Adams and may get salary cap relief next year out of that restructure lowering his cap hit from $17 million to say $10-$11 million.
  2. With cap savings from these contracts and restructuring of a few others, you can bring in a few new key pieces giving Rodgers and the Packers a better chance of getting back to the Super Bowl.  Let him know we are still primarily a draft and develop team (and I think its working under Gute for the defense which I believe now has more good key pieces there that are going to get better but we still need 2 or 3 more pieces.
  3. If your going to extend Rodgers, you may have to trade Love (because his agent will balk).  So trade him before the draft so you get a 2nd rounder or higher back so we can add more resources to win next year.  This makes resigning Boyle a key component. (Who is close to Rodgers by the way).  You can always draft another quarterback in 3 years again.

So I think there is a win-win here for both the Packers and Rodgers.  He knows now is the time to strike as his negotiating position weakens after next year.  So I think he is playing his cards now.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

How much could the team realistically free up by restructuring him? Obviously it depends on the terms, but is it realistic to think it could free up enough for us to retain one of our big FAs (Jones, Linsley, King)

Linsley please.

let the other 2 walk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Florio is always looking for clickbait, and, he comes from a position that the players always deserve MORE and that ownership is EVIL and GREEDY.

Nothing wrong with this part. Florio's an idiot who writes nothing but garbage clickbait but I'm always for players making more. I'm just glad they have a union.

23 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

We would at least get a first. At least. I don't think that happens though.

One 1st?   I will reprint something I wrote on another related thread right here on this site.  Play into the desperation and egos of certain owners or power coaches and not only the ones I mention here....we certainly would get more than a 1 or it would never happen.

I have no doubt the team has considered the ramifications of trading Rodgers at this point.  They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they haven't.  That doesn't mean they will.

A lot of moving parts here.  They also must consider re-doing his contract to push money out.  Helps us now, could really hurt later.  The talk of trading to the Jags for the 1st pick is ridiculous.  The only teams interested in an aging Rodgers are teams that are ready to have a shot to win it all real soon.  San Fran and Indy stick out.  Maybe teams like Washington, Las Vegas, or New England.  You have to take the egos and history of the owners and GM/Coaches into consideration too.  Who would give us a kings ransom for this aging great QB?  What did Goff bring in the trade that brought him to the Rams?  Don't look for that kind of return, but the return would be huge.  Trudge along with this QB or blow it up to a degree and rebuild around the new guy.  A lot of it also will entail what the Packers feel about Love at this point.  

My gut is Rodgers is back.  I just don't know that I want to restructure a contract for him that would be costly to us when he is older yet.  Can we absorb the cap hit for one more year if we leave the contract alone and trade him next year?  He'll never bring more than he would right now.  Owners with deep pockets (like Snyder) and power coaches (like Chuckie doll) can sometimes be persuaded to overpay.  That is the only way I would trade Rodgers now, I would have to get a real treasure chest in return.

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

For now. He was never going anywhere this off season. Next year/ year after that... could/probably will happen.

Now might be his opportunity to jettison to San Francisco though, if he so desires....IF they make a play for Stafford, his chances would than go out the window.....

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Now might be his opportunity to jettison to San Francisco though, if he so desires....IF they make a play for Stafford, his chances would than go out the window.....

What are you talking about? He doesn't get to choose if he wants to jettison to San Fran or anywhere else. He's under contract until 2023, lol. It dosen't matter what he desires, it matters what GB desires unless Rodgers wants to retire.

All Rodgers said was that he doesn't control his future. Then he reiterated that today and literally said he wants to play in GB and ideally finish his career there. How does one go from that statement to " he could jettison" to a conference rival like San Fran??? Especially after GB's coach, GM, and President said they want him in GB.

Edited by Arthur Penske

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

What are you talking about? He doesn't get to choose if he wants to jettison to San Fran or anywhere else. He's under contract until 2023, lol. It dosen't matter what he desires, it matters what GB desires unless Rodgers wants to retire.

All Rodgers said was that he doesn't control his future. Then he reiterated that today and literally said he wants to play in GB and ideally finish his career there. How does one go from that statement to " he could jettison" to a conference rival like San Fran??? Especially after GB's coach, GM, and President said they want him in GB.

Because writers love to create controversy out of nothing to get followers. Rodgers is our QB through the next year for sure and the year after that most likely. This is a dumb attempt to rile up Packer fans for follows. 

• Like 1