Sources say Rodgers wants new contract

Siman08/OH

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

One 1st?   I will reprint something I wrote on another related thread right here on this site.  Play into the desperation and egos of certain owners or power coaches and not only the ones I mention here....we certainly would get more than a 1 or it would never happen.

The problem is that Aaron can essentially use the "retirement card" to keep himself from being traded to a team.  So he's likely wanting to go to a Super Bowl contender OR to a West Coast team.  You've got LA Chargers (Justin Herbert), LA Rams (Jared Goff), Las Vegas (Derek Carr), San Francisco (Jimmy G), Seattle (Russell Wilson), Arizona (Kyler Murray), and Denver (Drew Lock) as West Coast teams.  Seattle probably passes as does the LA Chargers.  I'd venture a guess that Arizona passes, but that's more an opinion.  LA Rams don't have the cap space or draft picks to make a Rodgers deal, so it's down to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Denver.  I think both teams would be motivated to make a deal work.  And then you go into the "contenders" who aren't geographically close.  That probably includes New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis.  The other QB-needy teams are probably unlikely to convince Aaron Rodgers to go to.

Agreed, those are the teams that would be players.   I honestly might include Washington, great defense and deep pockets owner who could make deep pockets promises.  I see that team and Vegas most likely to overpay, because of who would be calling the shots and why.

13 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Agreed, those are the teams that would be players.   I honestly might include Washington, great defense and deep pockets owner who could make deep pockets promises.  I see that team and Vegas most likely to overpay, because of who would be calling the shots and why.

Really don't see Washington on being his "list" of acceptable teams.  For a multitude of reasons including one we really can't discuss.  The Packers wouldn't do it, but the Cowboys would be a contender if MM wasn't their HC.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

What are you talking about? He doesn't get to choose if he wants to jettison to San Fran or anywhere else. He's under contract until 2023, lol. It dosen't matter what he desires, it matters what GB desires unless Rodgers wants to retire.

All Rodgers said was that he doesn't control his future. Then he reiterated that today and literally said he wants to play in GB and ideally finish his career there. How does one go from that statement to " he could jettison" to a conference rival like San Fran??? Especially after GB's coach, GM, and President said they want him in GB.

Can always decide he wants to retire, which could force the Packer's hand.....He can also ask to get out of his contact and obligations to the team....Doesn't mean he has a choice where he can go, but he could be traded to somebody who in turn works out something with SF....Worked with Favre after a year in NY and Deshaun Watson (in Texas) is currently trying to navigate his way to a team of his choosing....IF it works with Watson, it may set a precedence that may also work with Rodgers....

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is that Aaron can essentially use the "retirement card" to keep himself from being traded to a team.  So he's likely wanting to go to a Super Bowl contender OR to a West Coast team.  You've got LA Chargers (Justin Herbert), LA Rams (Jared Goff), Las Vegas (Derek Carr), San Francisco (Jimmy G), Seattle (Russell Wilson), Arizona (Kyler Murray), and Denver (Drew Lock) as West Coast teams.  Seattle probably passes as does the LA Chargers.  I'd venture a guess that Arizona passes, but that's more an opinion.  LA Rams don't have the cap space or draft picks to make a Rodgers deal, so it's down to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Denver.  I think both teams would be motivated to make a deal work.  And then you go into the "contenders" who aren't geographically close.  That probably includes New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis.  The other QB-needy teams are probably unlikely to convince Aaron Rodgers to go to.

18 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Can always decide he wants to retire, which could force the Packer's hand.....He can also ask to get out of his contact and obligations to the team....Doesn't mean he has a choice where he can go, but he could be traded to somebody who in turn works out something with SF....Worked with Favre after a year in NY and Deshaun Watson (in Texas) is currently trying to navigate his way to a team of his choosing....IF it works with Watson, it may set a precedence that may also work with Rodgers....

Why are you guys even discussing retirement going off writers conjecture who need clicks? Listen to his interview today where you hear it straight from his mouth. He dosent want to retire and wants to be in GB. 

Use your noodle and the facts. Not someone who needs to wind you up to make money. 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why are you guys even discussing this going off writers conjecture who need clicks? Listen to his interview today where you hear it straight from his mouth. He dosent want to retire and wants to be in GB. 

At this point, that's all we've got is conjecture....After all, nobody but Rodgers knows 100% what thoughts are going on inside his head....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

So he if plays the "retirement card", why doesn't the team just leak to all the clickbait writers that he doesn't really want to retire, he is just forcing his way out of Green Bay.  A lot of Rodgers fan base in Green Bay would be very, very upset.  Some at management, some at Rodgers.  Either way, his legacy in Green Bay will certainly be tarnished.  This would not be like Favre, who retired, and then wanted to come back....to which a certain Commissioner personally interfered in a teams business afterward to lessen his value before the trade.

The reason why these sports writers/commentators spin up Packers fans is because we are many!  They rarely waste their time stirring up controversy with teams that have a small fan base - in all disciplines of sports.  They go after the most popular teams because that’s where the clicks and analytics are that drive up their value.

Fans are dumb and will click on their crap regardless of if the news is good or bad.  The downside of being a fan of one of the most popular football teams in the NFL is that our beloved team will always be under a gigantic microscope, and subject to rumors and conjecture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 15412 said:

One 1st?   I will reprint something I wrote on another related thread right here on this site.  Play into the desperation and egos of certain owners or power coaches and not only the ones I mention here....we certainly would get more than a 1 or it would never happen.

I have no doubt the team has considered the ramifications of trading Rodgers at this point.  They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they haven't.  That doesn't mean they will.

A lot of moving parts here.  They also must consider re-doing his contract to push money out.  Helps us now, could really hurt later.  The talk of trading to the Jags for the 1st pick is ridiculous.  The only teams interested in an aging Rodgers are teams that are ready to have a shot to win it all real soon.  San Fran and Indy stick out.  Maybe teams like Washington, Las Vegas, or New England.  You have to take the egos and history of the owners and GM/Coaches into consideration too.  Who would give us a kings ransom for this aging great QB?  What did Goff bring in the trade that brought him to the Rams?  Don't look for that kind of return, but the return would be huge.  Trudge along with this QB or blow it up to a degree and rebuild around the new guy.  A lot of it also will entail what the Packers feel about Love at this point.  

My gut is Rodgers is back.  I just don't know that I want to restructure a contract for him that would be costly to us when he is older yet.  Can we absorb the cap hit for one more year if we leave the contract alone and trade him next year?  He'll never bring more than he would right now.  Owners with deep pockets (like Snyder) and power coaches (like Chuckie doll) can sometimes be persuaded to overpay.  That is the only way I would trade Rodgers now, I would have to get a real treasure chest in return.

I said at least and if he regresses. 

He's not leaving Green Bay. He didn't talk for years about loving the fact that players like Duncan, and Kobe were with one team just to use it as a bluff. He wants to be a Packer but he also wants them to be all in too. Which.. How could you not at this point? The media is being the media. Our biggest problem isnt who is under center (Its 12) but how to load this team up for a run.

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 2

All I can say is that when they say it’s not about the money... it’s about the money. When they say I’ll be here till I retire, they’re leaving. Etc. I’m not so sure he’s not full of **** and wants out. He kind of back stabbed MM before so I’m not sure he wouldn’t do it to MLF. 

You guys don't know Rodgers.  He is not going to use the retirement card.  Nor is he going to force a trade.  By all accounts he and MLF get along just fine.  These shock jocks in the media are something else.  They may rework his contract to free up some cap space.  Not once have I ever heard Rodgers complain about his contract.  It's all BS.  He'll be back in GB next year.  Not that I really mind.  Let the media blow this thing up.  Pack can field some offers.  In order to pry him out of GB it would have to be blockbuster on the order of 3 firsts and some players otherwise forget it.  

BTW all Rodgers meant was he is not in control of his destiny.  Guess what he's not.  Big deal.  The Packers want him back he wants to stay nothing to see here.

• Like 2