Sources say Rodgers wants new contract

Siman08/OH

7 hours ago, Leader said:

That's fine. I dont need to read more. I think the entire thing is being way over thought.

It's the Jurassic Park Principle. When the scientists couldnt create a complete dinosaur DNA strand...they inserted some frog DNA. Here - we've got factoids and rumors being patched together with a bunch of frog DNA to create a complete illusion.

It's really not if it boils down to Rodger's legacy....Although he's a first ballot HOF'er, he's going to be remembered as a QB who struggled to win NFCCG's....

11 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

And you have to realize Rodgers is at the peak of his leverage....He knows chances are the Packers may move away from him after next season....IF this is indeed the case, he's not foolish enough to be used by the Packers for a year and than be sent to a bad franchise....He wants money up front as a sign of a commitment from the organization, not necessarily as a kind gesture to free up cap space....

Oh OK and you know this how?  Sorry 40 this is all conjecture on your part.  The Packers drafted Love for 2 reasons.  First to groom a successor and second to protect against an injury to Rodgers.  Smart move.  Do you really think Love can beat him out?  I don't.  Not anytime soon.  If Rodgers continues to play at a MVP level do you really think the Packers are going to just move on?  I take issue with this whole contract thing.  He has 3 more years left and has not mentioned anything about it. 

2 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

It's really not if it boils down to Rodger's legacy....Although he's a first ballot HOF'er, he's going to be remembered as a QB who struggled to win NFCCG's....

Really? He's been on the losing side four times. Two of those losses were games we were over our head in. He was the only reason we even made it to the Atlanta game- look at the defense we rolled out that game. You can argue that the Seattle meltdown and the Tampa misfire were TEAM meltdowns.  If Will Redmond doesn't close his eyes and makes that simple interception before half, none of this nonsense is happening.

His legacy is playing the hardest position in the NFL at a higher level than anyone in history. 

• Like 1

I'm so excited to eventually get to see Jordan Love in some sort of football game action.  So much of this whole equation hinges on whether he's got the goods or not.  I really don't know how much the Packers brass was able to learn this year.  I know he wasn't very good in camp, but there was chatter that he was improving during the year.  If it does appear he's got the goods say two years down the line I think you easily go with him and look at dealing Rodgers then.  It would be silly to choose a then 39 year old Rodgers over a 24 year old Jordan Love.  It just all hinges on how good this kid is.  As for a new deal for Rodgers .. figure a way to give him some up front money now and a way to escape that deal after the 2022 season and you've got something.  Rodgers gets paid and some piece of mind that he's the man for the next year years. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm so excited to eventually get to see Jordan Love in some sort of football game action.  So much of this whole equation hinges on whether he's got the goods or not.  I really don't know how much the Packers brass was able to learn this year.  I know he wasn't very good in camp, but there was chatter that he was improving during the year.  If it does appear he's got the goods say two years down the line I think you easily go with him and look at dealing Rodgers then.  It would be silly to choose a then 39 year old Rodgers over a 24 year old Jordan Love.  It just all hinges on how good this kid is.  As for a new deal for Rodgers .. figure a way to give him some up front money now and a way to escape that deal after the 2022 season and you've got something.  Rodgers gets paid and some piece of mind that he's the man for the next year years. 

From the little I've been able to glean....Love was throwing to Wr's who came in for workouts during the season.  A friend of a friend, of another friend was one of those WR's.  Said that Love was terrible.  Missing throws left and right, bouncing throws....etc.  It was bad.

And...you can tell from the friend of friend of another friend that the statement should be taken with an extreme grain of salt.

Personally, I want to see him in action in the pre-season.  

Watched him in some drills.  He looks accurate.  Don't think it is the physical but mental aspect of his game that is the question.  Only thing we know is he was inactive and #3 on the depth chart.  So he couldn't even beat out Boyle for #2.  Kid is going to take time to groom this was known when he was drafted.  Pandemic year also so he missed most offseason work.  Probably be the same this year which will further slow his development.  If he can't beat out Boyle for #2 next year I'll start to get concerned.  

Many teams rush their new QB's into action too early.  The game is too fast and their confidence gets ruined.  Packers take the correct approach.  Draft and develop.  He won't be ready to start next year.  Hopefully year 3.  Still has to beat out Aaron and can't see that happening by then either.  I do take comfort that he is on the roster.  If Aaron does go down hopefully this kid can come in and win a few games.  If he can do that the pick was worth it. We had a couple of seasons where Aaron was lost to injury.  Wasn't pretty.  Wasn't pretty at all.  Good insurance to have even if he never becomes the guy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Watched him in some drills.  He looks accurate.  Don't think it is the physical but mental aspect of his game that is the question.  Only thing we know is he was inactive and #3 on the depth chart.  So he couldn't even beat out Boyle for #2.  Kid is going to take time to groom this was known when he was drafted.  Pandemic year also so he missed most offseason work.  Probably be the same this year which will further slow his development.  If he can't beat out Boyle for #2 next year I'll start to get concerned.

MInus any off season OTA/TC/PS action - how can they gauge his development relative to Boyle? 
They cant - so - Love's inexperience is Boyle's job security at the moment.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope (though I doubt) people remember how shaky Rodgers looked his first camp/preseason games. Those Tedford mechanics...yeesh.

Frankly, I think this topic is click bait related to what Aaron Rodgers does or does not want. Certainly worthy of forum discussion, but with the caveat, no one is operating with facts, rather an abundance of speculation and opinions.

On to Jordon Love. The questions about Love are NOT about his physical ability, they are about his development between the ears.

Full disclosure, I hated pick. However it was not because I didn't see his physical talent and upside. Rather, it was due to my desire to go all in with getting the Lombardi now while Rodgers is still cooking.  

At 6-4, 224 Love stands tall and can throw tight spirals from variety of arm slots. He has good arm strength, a quick release with the arm talent to make any throw, including the deep ball. Love's athleticism and open-field vision allows him to extend plays, exit the pocket and move the sticks.

His developmental needs include: quicker decision making, recognition skills and reads against disguised zones, better use of his eyes to hold safeties and not telegraph his throws, developing a better internal clock... all thing consistent with a underdeveloped prospect with the arm talent and mobility of a potential star starting QB with almost unlimited upside potential.

The Packers made the pick. Nothing can change that, there are no do-overs or redrafts that are popular off-season fillers. It is on the coaching staff to develop and get this talented kid up to speed and ready to either be the heir to the Packers legacy of great QBs or to gain top return value in a future trade.

3 minutes ago, BAM said:

Frankly, I think this topic is click bait related to what Aaron Rodgers does or does not want. Certainly worthy of forum discussion, but with the caveat, no one is operating with facts, rather an abundance of speculation and opinions.

On to Jordon Love. The questions about Love are NOT about his physical ability, they are about his development between the ears.

Full disclosure, I hated pick. However it was not because I didn't see his physical talent and upside. Rather, it was due to my desire to go all in with getting the Lombardi now while Rodgers is still cooking.  

At 6-4, 224 Love stands tall and can throw tight spirals from variety of arm slots. He has good arm strength, a quick release with the arm talent to make any throw, including the deep ball. Love's athleticism and open-field vision allows him to extend plays, exit the pocket and move the sticks.

His developmental needs include: quicker decision making, recognition skills and reads against disguised zones, better use of his eyes to hold safeties and not telegraph his throws, developing a better internal clock... all thing consistent with a underdeveloped prospect with the arm talent and mobility of a potential star starting QB with almost unlimited upside potential.

The Packers made the pick, there are no do-overs or redrafts that are popular off-season fillers. It is on the coaching staff to develop and get this talented kid up to speed and ready to either be the heir to the Packers legacy of great QBs or to gain top return value in a future trade.

Would you mind picking a larger font? I'm having trouble reading this.