Sources say Rodgers wants new contract

Siman08/OH

5 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Watched him in some drills.  He looks accurate.  Don't think it is the physical but mental aspect of his game that is the question.  Only thing we know is he was inactive and #3 on the depth chart.  So he couldn't even beat out Boyle for #2.  Kid is going to take time to groom this was known when he was drafted.  Pandemic year also so he missed most offseason work.  Probably be the same this year which will further slow his development.  If he can't beat out Boyle for #2 next year I'll start to get concerned.  

Many teams rush their new QB's into action too early.  The game is too fast and their confidence gets ruined.  Packers take the correct approach.  Draft and develop.  He won't be ready to start next year.  Hopefully year 3.  Still has to beat out Aaron and can't see that happening by then either.  I do take comfort that he is on the roster.  If Aaron does go down hopefully this kid can come in and win a few games.  If he can do that the pick was worth it. We had a couple of seasons where Aaron was lost to injury.  Wasn't pretty.  Wasn't pretty at all.  Good insurance to have even if he never becomes the guy.

It really hurt a kid like Love that we didn't have mini camps or TC so he is further behind the other young QBs who were drafted who were forced to play right away.  I'm hoping having him sit behind AR it will benefit him like it did for Rodgers backing up Favre for 3 years.

10 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Really? He's been on the losing side four times. Two of those losses were games we were over our head in. He was the only reason we even made it to the Atlanta game- look at the defense we rolled out that game. You can argue that the Seattle meltdown and the Tampa misfire were TEAM meltdowns.  If Will Redmond doesn't close his eyes and makes that simple interception before half, none of this nonsense is happening.

His legacy is playing the hardest position in the NFL at a higher level than anyone in history. 

Not saying it's fair or just, but invariably those looking back at history won't give a rip as to who is responsible, and unless you're living under a rock, championships will be the measuring stick by which he will eventually be judged....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

12 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Oh OK and you know this how?  Sorry 40 this is all conjecture on your part.  The Packers drafted Love for 2 reasons.  First to groom a successor and second to protect against an injury to Rodgers.  Smart move.  Do you really think Love can beat him out?  I don't.  Not anytime soon.  If Rodgers continues to play at a MVP level do you really think the Packers are going to just move on?  I take issue with this whole contract thing.  He has 3 more years left and has not mentioned anything about it. 

Like yourself, I am not involved with Packer management so whether or not I think Love can take the job away from AR is irrelevant.....Just as important, nobody can say with 100% certainty that Rodgers will maintain his current MVP level of play.....Being that the NFL is a revolving door business, he has stated the future (including his own) holds no guarantees....Is this his way of saying he wants to leave GB or the business....It's a "beautiful mystery"....

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Not saying it's fair or just, but invariably those looking back at history won't give a rip as to who is responsible, and unless you're living under a rock, championships will be the measuring stick by which he will eventually be judged....

Of course championships will be one of the measuring sticks that Rodgers career will be judged upon.

Another will be his 3 MVP's - joining Manning 5, Favre 3, Brady 3, Unitas 3 as the only QBs to have 3 or more league Most Valuable Awards.

He will also be judged by the many

NFL records he holds
  • 122.5 passer rating, season (2011)
  • 0.3 lowest interception percentage, season (2018)
  • 402 consecutive passes without an interception
  • Fastest NFL QB to 400 career passing touchdowns (193 games)
  • Most seasons with 35+ touchdown passes (5) (tied)
  • Most seasons with 40+ total touchdowns (5)
  • Most seasons with 40+ touchdown passes (3)
  • Most seasons with 45+ touchdown passes (2) (tied)
  • Most seasons with 120+ passer rating (2)

On 1/28/2021 at 8:18 AM, Scoremore said:

Oh OK and you know this how?  Sorry 40 this is all conjecture on your part.  The Packers drafted Love for 2 reasons.  First to groom a successor and second to protect against an injury to Rodgers.  Smart move.  Do you really think Love can beat him out?  I don't.  Not anytime soon.  If Rodgers continues to play at a MVP level do you really think the Packers are going to just move on?  I take issue with this whole contract thing.  He has 3 more years left and has not mentioned anything about it. 

And this next season he is projected to get about $33 million.....Dak Prescott is projected to get $37 million this year if the Cowboys franchise tag him and more than $40 million next season....This is a guy who missed a large part of last season...Patrick Mahomes currently has a half billion dollar contract....So, why would it be a surprise that Rodgers might want a bigger piece of the pie?....  

There's literally no way we field a competitive team if we don't re-sign, restructure or do something about Aaron's contract.

The Steelers GM or whatever literally came out and said it.  He said it exactly how it was, "We cannot pay Roethlisberger..." I don't remember his exact words, but it was blunt, it was honest and it was to the point. 

It's the same thing with Rodgers.  I don't know why Murphy hasn't said it.  Or LaFleur.  Or Gute.  Rodgers would only count 4 more million against the cap than Roethlisberger. 

This isn't Outpost hyperbole, this is foregone conclusion, as literally obvious as can be. 

There is literally zero way the Packers field a competitive (to recent standard) team while paying Rodgers 37 million against the cap in a reduced cap (180 million) year. 

37 million out of 180 million is 20.6% of the cap.

The only time any quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% over the cap has been Steve Young.  The Niners were LITERALLY caught cheating and punished for cheating the salary cap. 

Currently, our top 51 cap space for 2021 is 31.8 million.  Red for a reason and that reason is we are 31.8 over the cap for 2021. 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There's literally no way we field a competitive team if we don't re-sign, restructure or do something about Aaron's contract.

The Steelers GM or whatever literally came out and said it.  He said it exactly how it was, "We cannot pay Roethlisberger..." I don't remember his exact words, but it was blunt, it was honest and it was to the point. 

It's the same thing with Rodgers.  I don't know why Murphy hasn't said it.  Or LaFleur.  Or Gute.  Rodgers would only count 4 more million against the cap than Roethlisberger. 

This isn't Outpost hyperbole, this is foregone conclusion, as literally obvious as can be. 

There is literally zero way the Packers field a competitive (to recent standard) team while paying Rodgers 37 million against the cap in a reduced cap (180 million) year. 

The only time any quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% over the cap has been Steve Young.  The Niners were LITERALLY caught cheating and punished for cheating the salary cap. 

Currently, our top 51 cap space for 2021 is 31.8 million.  Red for a reason and that reason is we are 31.8 over the cap for 2021. 

Maybe they feel it would be better for Rodgers to come forth and say it?....After all, that might put a feather in his cap and make him out to be the one making the sacrifice to get GB another Lombardi trophy...

I guess I shouldn't be, but I am mildly surprised that GB fans got sucked into this story.  100% click bait.

In truth I would not be at all surprised to see Rodgers restructure, but that's because there are obvious scenarios where it makes sense to do it to free up cap space.  I guess I can post a story now about Rodgers wanting a restructure, and my story will be just as well sourced as the Florio story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

But Rothlisberger sucks now. So paying him is a double whammy.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

One was the best QB in the NFL this year, and the other one was in the 20ish range.  You ask Rodgers to take a paycut, he laughs at you.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

One was the best QB in the NFL this year, and the other one was in the 20ish range.  You ask Rodgers to take a paycut, he laughs at you.

Then I laugh at Rodgers sacrificing his legacy for vanity.

I laugh at Rodgers for him losing his starting RT, starting C, Aaron Jones and not getting any of them replaced with a first round pick and not getting a WR with the first round pick because the Packers are forced to draft a corner or an ILB or an IDL.

Rodgers can laugh at a restructure all he wants and die with all that money and one Super Bowl ring to show for it.

There are ways Rodgers gets paid literally the same exact amount of money at a lower cap hit.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Then I laugh at Rodgers sacrificing his legacy for vanity.

I laugh at Rodgers for him losing his starting RT, starting C, Aaron Jones and not getting any of them replaced with a first round pick and not getting a WR with the first round pick because the Packers are forced to draft a corner or an ILB or an IDL.

Rodgers can laugh at a restructure all he wants and die with all that money and one Super Bowl ring to show for it.

There are ways Rodgers gets paid literally the same exact amount of money at a lower cap hit.

somehow you're totally wrong in all the supporting points but totally right with the end main point - there are ways to pay rodgers to stretch out the cap hit into future years.

the bill will come due, but It's worth it at this stage.  2 more years.  ALL. IN.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

somehow you're totally wrong in all the supporting points but totally right with the end main point - there are ways to pay rodgers to stretch out the cap hit into future years.

the bill will come due, but It's worth it at this stage.  2 more years.  ALL. IN.

Somehow shut up and just say you agree with me.