Quick pre-Senior Bowl mock

Quick and easy.  More focused on position than player at this point.  King, Linsley, Jones all gone.  Williams back. All other starters back with possible redone contract or two.  All back except for Kirksey who is cut that is.  Don't know how likely but maybe Veldheer is retained.  Player until Bak is ready..  No big significant outside FA signings, although several vets brought in who could earn a role.  Not necessarily him but Bashaud Breeland type.

Hoping for a drop or two here, including later rounds.

1. Christian Barmore - DL - Alabama  He could go teens or he could go here.  If gone, let's go Jay Tufele

2. Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford

3. Baron Browning - ILB - Ohio State

4. Spencer Brown - OT - Northern Iowa

4. Jermar Jefferson - RB - Oregon State  I know, I like him more than most.  Go with Sermon if you don't like the fit but I like the change of pace

5. Anthony Schwartz - WR - Auburn

5. Ambry Thomas - CB - Michigan

6. Michael Clemons - EDGE - Texas A&M 

6. Caden Sterns - S - Texas

7. Drew Dallman - C/G - Stanford

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

I like this, especially because you double dipped at CB and went IDL immediately, but I'd drop the Browning pick and stick in another OT or Jermarr Johnson there actually. I like Barmore over Tufele as well, but would be happy with Tufule if Barmore is off the board. I'd also rather take a flyer at a different position in the 7th than another IOL. We're STOCKED at IOL; I'd drop the Stearns pick for similar reasons but also because he's HORRIBLE against the run. Not a fan of the Schwartz pick either simply because he doesn't fit the mold of WR we're looking for; namely, he doesn't like to run block. I'm thinking Clemons could bulk up and play IDL TBH given his strengths. Other than that Adebo might be able to step in as CB2 immediately and Thomas immediately provides great depth in the Tramon Williams role. Not sure that Brown fits the type of OT we might be looking for, but would be a solid value pick early Day 3....provided we actually DON'T trade our 4th away this year.  

Got it on Sterns, he is developmental with weaknesses as you mentioned.  That's why I had him drop some.  There were others I liked where I took Schwartz, but the speed.  Can he return punts at this level?  I want another ILB being I cut Kirksey, and maybe one that will quickly be one of the starters soon.  Actually think Browning will go sooner.  Certainly OT's I like better than Brown but not where I took him.  Don't want to spend a 1st on the ones I really like who may be there at 29.  I took a center late who I think could really develop.  Reason being I have Linsley gone and with either Jenkins or Patrick our new starting center we could still use a little development there.  Doesn't look like Hanson is that guy.  Just a shot in the dark.

3 hours ago, 15412 said:

I want another ILB being I cut Kirksey, and maybe one that will quickly be one of the starters soon.  Actually think Browning will go sooner.  

I would say that if we are drafting an ILB, he should be looked at as a starter.  I for one was pretty impressed by Barnes this season.  And I have heard nothing but positive things about Martin.  Summers is fine depth, and we still have Burks.  All of these guys are cheap too.  I don't think we need any depth at the moment.  

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would say that if we are drafting an ILB, he should be looked at as a starter.  I for one was pretty impressed by Barnes this season.  And I have heard nothing but positive things about Martin.  Summers is fine depth, and we still have Burks.  All of these guys are cheap too.  I don't think we need any depth at the moment.  

I get that, but depth is depth.  What then if Barnes blows out a knee game 1?  Browning would push early for a starting job I believe, which only makes Martin and Barnes better.  I love quality depth.  Could go OT, EDGE or WR at that point no doubt, but I really like defense.  I do have doubts about our middle as it sits.

I'm kind of anti the ILB pick unless it is a more high end guy (R1/2). This might change if Pettine goes, but if you look at our snap counts. you'll see our ILB2 is on the field 20-50% of games

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-gnb-6.php

I'd rather either swing for the fence on an improvement, or just bring in another body late

Edited by pacman5252
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 15412 said:

Got it on Sterns, he is developmental with weaknesses as you mentioned.  That's why I had him drop some.  There were others I liked where I took Schwartz, but the speed.  Can he return punts at this level?  I want another ILB being I cut Kirksey, and maybe one that will quickly be one of the starters soon.  Actually think Browning will go sooner.  Certainly OT's I like better than Brown but not where I took him.  Don't want to spend a 1st on the ones I really like who may be there at 29.  I took a center late who I think could really develop.  Reason being I have Linsley gone and with either Jenkins or Patrick our new starting center we could still use a little development there.  Doesn't look like Hanson is that guy.  Just a shot in the dark.

How? He's been injured most of the year. What have we actually seen out of an odd rookie year that makes us assume that almost immediately? Just because he was a 6th round pick?

15 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Throw Burks out and I agree with all of this. Summers is quietly developing, Randy Ramsey has been moved inside on occasion, but you look at Barnes and Martin and those are your starters TBH. Barnes was an absolute steal as a UDFA simply because he was a draftable player that somehow went undrafted. If he plays at Alabama or some other top tier program, he's a 3rd round pick all day. I doubt Browning can step in and be a starter from Day 1, especially when we have much bigger holes elsewhere.

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

I'm kind of anti the ILB pick unless it is a more high end guy (R1/2). This might change if Pettine goes, but if you look at our snap counts. you'll see our ILB2 is on the field 20-50% of games

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-gnb-6.php

I'd rather either swing for the fence on an improvement, or just bring in another body late

I'm right there with you. I'm sick of people dogging on our ILB's. The meteoric rise of that group as a whole this season is the story of the defense that nobody bothers to notice.

• Like 1

Hope Hanson is the guy.  Drafting a guy in the 7th doesn't threaten him in any way or cost us anything.  Burks has been near outstanding on the ST's.  Epic fail otherwise.  Summers had a reputation of being a tackling machine, he looks lost to me when I've seen him play.  Maybe the game will slow down soon for him.  Drafting a talent to add to this mix late day 2 at this position is reasonable if that's where your board sits.  I have no idea what their board looks like of course, it's a mock.  Done for fun.  By guess and conjecture.  There are some other ILB's I like better.  I expect them to go sooner yet.

9 hours ago, 15412 said:

I get that, but depth is depth.  What then if Barnes blows out a knee game 1?  Browning would push early for a starting job I believe, which only makes Martin and Barnes better.  I love quality depth.  Could go OT, EDGE or WR at that point no doubt, but I really like defense.  I do have doubts about our middle as it sits.

I probably could have worded that better.  If Browning would be pushing for a starting job, absolutely go for it.  I'm saying that I think we have the depth guys at ILB already, and if we are looking to add depth, I would rather look elsewhere, like RB or CB. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I probably could have worded that better.  If Browning would be pushing for a starting job, absolutely go for it.  I'm saying that I think we have the depth guys at ILB already, and if we are looking to add depth, I would rather look elsewhere, like RB or CB. 

I'm right there with you on that one. I remember all the debate we've had about ILB on this board and how it's a dying position because of the expanded role of the DB and how 2-down thumpers are a thing of the past so you're looking for an elite athlete that's essentially a big safety that can physically take on the role of LB like Deion Jones.

12 hours ago, Joe said:

How? He's been injured most of the year. What have we actually seen out of an odd rookie year that makes us assume that almost immediately? Just because he was a 6th round pick?

If he was an UDFA, would you be pounding the table for him as you currently are?  No.  It's the same thing as the whole Dexter Williams situation.  If he wasn't a former draft pick, NOBODY would have projected him in the 53 man projections.

14 hours ago, 15412 said:

You don't draft a player because a player might get injured.  You draft an ILB on Day 1 or Day 2, you expect them to start.  Or at least push to start.  Right now, Barnes and Martin are our starting ILBs in 2021.  You draft another one somewhere maybe early Day 3 to add some depth and push them.  And you have Ty Summers and Oren Burks compete for ILB4.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You don't draft a player because a player might get injured.  You draft an ILB on Day 1 or Day 2, you expect them to start.  Or at least push to start.  Right now, Barnes and Martin are our starting ILBs in 2021.  You draft another one somewhere maybe early Day 3 to add some depth and push them.  And you have Ty Summers and Oren Burks compete for ILB4.

I don't buy this at all.  Maybe in a Madden draft.  You stay true to your board, you look for football players.  You are looking for starters with every pick with diminishing expectations.  We have an undrafted LB starting over a guy we picked in Round 3 case in point.  If your board shows a talent sticking out as clearly the best available you take him.  If he hits your quality depth may not be him, it may be a player already on the team you thought might start.  Win-win.  My mock had no trades and of course there will be.  That is an option too but it has to make sense and it takes at least two to make that happen.  Reaching for position only is a recipe for disaster.  In my mock Browning stood out to the staff as clearly best available, and yes we can use him there.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:53 AM, CWood21 said:

If he was an UDFA, would you be pounding the table for him as you currently are?  No.  It's the same thing as the whole Dexter Williams situation.  If he wasn't a former draft pick, NOBODY would have projected him in the 53 man projections.

Whoever said I was pounding the table for him? I think you're twisting my words and the Williams comparison is apples-n-oranges. What I've consistently said is that he was drafted as a succession piece to Linsley. That's not to say that I think he's a world-beater or a future All Pro that was stole on Day 3. May we move on with a different player in the future? Perhaps, but it's pretty obvious that the team views him as Linsley's eventual replacement when the team has all but that said verbatim and that was the early discussion here as well. We've only been debating that because a couple people(yourself included) got aggressive about how they feel about Day 3 picks and all of a sudden it's open for debate again - and that's not a criticism, it's an observation *shrug*

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Whoever said I was pounding the table for him? I think you're twisting my words and the Williams comparison is apples-n-oranges. What I've consistently said is that he was drafted as a succession piece to Linsley. That's not to say that I think he's a world-beater or a future All Pro that was stole on Day 3. May we move on with a different player in the future? Perhaps, but it's pretty obvious that the team views him as Linsley's eventual replacement when the team has all but that said verbatim and that was the early discussion here as well. We've only been debating that because a couple people(yourself included) got aggressive about how they feel about Day 3 picks and all of a sudden it's open for debate again - and that's not a criticism, it's an observation *shrug*

It definitely seems to be the case since you're ready to rule out Elgton Jenkins as the starting C for the Packers in 2021 in favor of Jake Hansen, who has done literally nothing to justify that stance.