MLB Slide Rule

flyers0909

I did not watch the game last night because I was too depressed being an Indians fan, but I just saw the controversial play in which Jose Lobaton was initially called safe on a pickoff to first but then (correctly) called out on replay. 

Since the first time I saw this challenged and overturned, I absolutely hated it because that's not what the replay was meant to be for.  For how fast and massive these guys are, for them to slide into a an elevated object at full speed and expect them to maintain 100% contact with the base is completely unrealistic.  Dave Cameron doesn't like it either and wrote an article on it last year, and brought it up again this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dear-mlb-please-fix-the-slide-replay/

So, here’s the same suggestion I made last year when Baez was called out after nearly getting concussed by Joe Panik. On slides or dives into a base, a player who makes contact with the bag before the tag is applied should be granted a vertical safe zone above the base so that he is still safe even if he is tagged while not physically touching the base so long as it is clear that he is still directly above the bag. If you slide in, your foot hits the base, and the laws of physics force your foot to bounce up an inch off the ground, but your foot is still over the base, then you’re still safe.

What say you FF?

Who's judging if his foot went too high off the bag?

The reality is you can say the same thing about not being able to overrun 2nd or 3rd like you can first. You can't expect players of this size to stop on a dime. Players compensated by sliding instead of running in. Perhaps palyers just have to compensate again and not slides so fast into the bag.

The reality is players right now don't know how to slide. It's become a lost art. Almost all of the start way too late causing them to go in with too much speed.

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Who's judging if his foot went too high off the bag?

The reality is you can say the same thing about not being able to overrun 2nd or 3rd like you can first. You can't expect players of this size to stop on a dime. Players compensated by sliding instead of running in. Perhaps palyers just have to compensate again and not slides so fast into the bag.

The reality is players right now don't know how to slide. It's become a lost art. Almost all of the start way too late causing them to go in with too much speed.

Your last point is a really good one.  So many times you see guys that have terrible slides, even getting hurt from it.  

Archived