Prime Rodgers vs Prime Peyton

RUGmen

??  

118 members have voted

1. 1. ??

On 1/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, DirtyDez said:

Let’s do the ole’ switcheroo...

Would Rodgers have had a better/worse/even career with Indy?

Would Peyton have a better/worse/even career in Green Bay?

I don't have the numbers, but QB success in the playoffs I believe is tied directly to the defense your playing with.

Peyton and Rodgers have had some good defenses along the wayz but never consistently great. Their championship count shows that, you could even bring Brees I to that convo as well.

Then go look at Bradys playoff success and try to find the common denominator. Brady, especially early, almost exclusively played with top 5 defenses. This year in TB is no exception. I've never seen a great QB play with consistently good defenses for a longer period of time as Brady has.

No matter how good your offense is, it's extremely hard to ride a top 5 offense and the 18th ranked defense to a Championship, which is where I feel like Rodgers and to a lesser extend Manning stood for their careers.

I think what we saw from Rodgers 2015-2019 makes the answer Manning. 

Peyton was a top 2/3 QB in the league pretty much every single year of his career between his first and his last. The one year where he stopped playing at an MVP pace he hung it up. He's never had the dips that Rodgers went through.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 11:43 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Tough choice but I'm going with the most talented QB of all time, Rodgers. 

I thought about this, and I think Rodgers inevitably will be regarded as the #2 to Mahomes. Rodgers had some so so years (notably 2015 and 2019) that I don't see Mahomes having.

But regardless, Rodgers will likely finish as top 3 at worst for every major QB mark in NFL History. That's incredible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Out of curiosity. What do you consider Rodgers biggest weakness? I have an idea too, just wanted to see what you thought.

He doesn't let plays develop and misreads situations because he knows he can just scramble and try a low percentage throw. He's missed plenty of easy plays because he didn't adbide by whatever the concept of the play was. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He doesn't let plays develop and misreads situations because he knows he can just scramble and try a low percentage throw. He's missed plenty of easy plays because he didn't adbide by whatever the concept of the play was. 

That’s a very similar thought I had. I think RW has very similar flaws. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, BayRaider said:

2009 was pretty damn good as well. Just didn’t have a great defense and that 2009 Vikings team with Favre was absolutely dominant.

They were 7th in points per drive against and number 1 in takeaways.  They got more takeaways than the Saints that year, the team well known(and praised) for their takeaways. 

Yes, I know they got demolished in the playoffs. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:34 PM, Bearerofnews said:

Being physically gifted is one thing. Manning's ball placement, touch, precision, timing, tempo, presnap recognition all was unparalleled by any to do it IMO. When you get a qb who is a combination of Manning, Marino, Rodgers and Lamar... you will have the perfect unstoppable qb.

The MMRL gene..

Manning

Edited by Nightime

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I thought about this, and I think Rodgers inevitably will be regarded as the #2 to Mahomes. Rodgers had some so so years (notably 2015 and 2019) that I don't see Mahomes having.

But regardless, Rodgers will likely finish as top 3 at worst for every major QB mark in NFL History. That's incredible.

I think Mahomes is too young and Rodgers is too old for that to happen.  I'd think Allen or Watson would be a better comp.  How much longer do you see Aaron Rodgers performing at an elite level?  In 2019, we all thought he was done.