Prime Rodgers vs Prime Peyton

RUGmen

??  

118 members have voted

1. 1. ??

17 hours ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

I think Mahomes is too young and Rodgers is too old for that to happen.  I'd think Allen or Watson would be a better comp.  How much longer do you see Aaron Rodgers performing at an elite level?  In 2019, we all thought he was done.

I think he has at least 3 years. By then he'll be drained I think.

Prime Peyton.

His 2004 season was the greatest season of any quarterback ever. You have to realize he was putting up inflated 2010's numbers in an era where quarterbacks were allowed to get smashed in the head all game long by defensive linemen, and have their receivers manhandled while the ball was in the air. His 2004 season is like the equivalent of throwing 60+ TDs in today's NFL.

And then as quarterbacks started to get more protected, and DPI more enforced he goes and throws the record 55 TDs at 37 with his best target being Demaryius Thomas.

1 hour ago, joru1000 said:

Prime Peyton.

His 2004 season was the greatest season of any quarterback ever. You have to realize he was putting up inflated 2010's numbers in an era where quarterbacks were allowed to get smashed in the head all game long by defensive linemen, and have their receivers manhandled while the ball was in the air. His 2004 season is like the equivalent of throwing 60+ TDs in today's NFL.

That rule change was instituted in the 2004 offseason. If anything, Manning’s 04 season was a result of the rule changes, not in spite of them. 

And that rule change did nothing to protect the QB, it was the enforcement of illegal contact/holding/PI that was changed. You’re straight up thinking this is Dan Marino’s season.

And then as quarterbacks started to get more protected, and DPI more enforced he goes and throws the record 55 TDs at 37 with his best target being Demaryius Thomas.

DT was a damn near elite receiver at the time, lol.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on who my coach/GM/Front Office is.

If I have a really good head coach that can create great offensive gameplans and does a good job playcalling - give me Rodgers.

If I don't have that? Give me Petyon Manning. Peyton Manning made John Fox and Jim Caldwell look like good coaches.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:41 AM, joru1000 said:

Prime Peyton.

I'm not trying to take anything away from PM's incredible 2013 season but lets not act like the 2013 Broncos weren't a completely loaded offense.

DT and Julius Thomas were both super good that year. Wes Welker, while in a slight decline by that point, was also still pretty damn good. They also had Eric Decker who is pretty damn good to have as WR3.

They also had a pretty damn good O-line including First Team All-Pro Guard Louis Vasquez.

It's not like this was Brady with Reche Caldwell as his WR #1.

Edited by Bolts223

On 1/31/2021 at 12:41 PM, joru1000 said:

What?

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, lancerman said:

He doesn't let plays develop and misreads situations because he knows he can just scramble and try a low percentage throw. He's missed plenty of easy plays because he didn't adbide by whatever the concept of the play was. 

Any examples of players that Rodgers held back from letting them develop? I would certainly love to hear.

The media has such power over people. One is a media darling, the other gets criticized for almost everything he does. Hell, even Packer fans do it! 

Aaron Rodgers should be on everyone's top 3 QBs list AT least. When you go back and call years where he thrown 25 TDs and 2 INTs and 26 TDs and 4 INTs as down years... then you know something is up. 

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Any examples of players that Rodgers held back from letting them develop? I would certainly love to hear.

The media has such power over people. One is a media darling, the other gets criticized for almost everything he does. Hell, even Packer fans do it! 

Aaron Rodgers should be on everyone's top 3 QBs list AT least. When you go back and call years where he thrown 25 TDs and 2 INTs and 26 TDs and 4 INTs as down years... then you know something is up. 

Plays not players. And there's a ton. Some guy did a break down on Youtube awhile dissecting plays and there was a thread on here about it. Good QB commentators like Romo and Aikman have pointed it out in games. He's not really that great at reading defenses and sticking with play concepts and way too often blows up plays by bailing and trying to force something. Physically he's one of the best ever, but he's not one of the best at understanding the position. 

Top 3 is ridiculous for him. He has no argument over Brady/Montana/Manning whatsoever. Then you have guys like Marino/Unitas. 

Hell name one thing Rodgers is better at than a guy like Steve Young

I don' think there was ever a better pure QB than Peyton Manning. He wasn't the most athletic and didn't have the strongest arm but he had his teams consistently at the top to the league and you just knew you had to prepare against him a different kind of way. He was the offense - he understood plays better than the coaches and held his people accountable. 

While Aaron is the by far more talented thrower, How many times has he missed the playoffs? Peyton is a top 3 ALL TIME QB for a reason.