Why is Ja'Marr Chase the consensus top receiver?

biggie.

18 minutes ago, biggie. said:

When Devohta Smith won the Heisman as well MVP of the National Championship?

Because he probably would have been the 1st wr off the board if he was in last years draft, Devonta probably would have been the 4th prior to his heisman campaign. And because he doesn't weigh 170 lbs.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Because the NFL is a physical game and receivers who can win at the catchpoint, separate, AND dominate physically after the catch are a rarity. 

170 pounds is tiny. No doubt smith has the sauce, but if he doesn't get bigger, he's going to get roughed up in the NFL.

And if he does manage to get bigger, does he have the same quickness?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

And if he does manage to get bigger, does he have the same quickness?

Exactly.

No one is doubting Smiths' accomplishments or his rare polish. But refusing to look at measurables even a little bit is foolish. 

Can you consider Smith a better prospect than Amari Cooper? I can't. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Exactly.

No one is doubting Smiths' accomplishments or his rare polish. But refusing to look at measurables even a little bit is foolish. 

Can you consider Smith a better prospect than Amari Cooper? I can't. 

I do consider DeVonta Smith a better prospect than Amari Cooper.

Devonta is a better competitor, works harder and is fundamentally as rock solid as you can get.  His worth ethic and desire to improve his craft is not going to stop once he gets to the NFL.  He is already a professional in college and prepares as a professional, once he is literally a NFL player that will only get better.  Sure he is thin but he does not have some awful injury history, he can get separation and if he runs a 4.4 40 there is not many questions about his game really.  Only one really is true deep speed, sure size matters but last time I checked being in good shape and being able to run constantly is wildly important and he has the frame for that and the muscle type for that.  He can go up and get the football, has great hands, runs great routes and out competes most he goes up against.  He has no problem taking contact or getting away from defenders after the catch either.

The dude is a fighter, has been called the most competitive player on the team at Alabama and is a true leader of that team.  Chase, well you cannot really say that about him, he sat out this year because guess what his QB sucked and it probably was going to make him look bad along with his team which was clearly not as good as last year.  DeVonta Smith did not know Mac Jones was going to be as good as he was this year, but he still went out there and competed, in doing so only won the Heisman trophy and a National Championship.  Not bad for a guy who could have also just sat out the season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Chase had a season last year equal to what Devonta did this year, but did it at age 19 as opposed to 22.  He's also damn near 40 lbs bigger than Smith.

The size issue matters a lot, but this is even more the issue.   Age at breakout, and to that extent, is a more reliable predictor of elite level success IMO.   Tape says both will succeed, the skills are legit - so the size factor, and earlier age-of-elite-breakout, matter here.

I mean, we're splitting hairs - both should have tremendous success.  But the bigger, just-as-fast, and elite-performance-3-years-younger (I know the argument is that Smith could have been great without Jeudy - Ruggs - Waddle around, but you're talking about unknown, vs. known performance) guy?  No problem with any team going Chase ahead of Smith.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1