Why is Ja'Marr Chase the consensus top receiver?

biggie.

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The difference between a good and great player often comes down to how much a player wants it. I'd be nervous about Chase. COVID could have just been an easy out. He knew that there was enough other guys opting out to make it acceptable and won't hurt his draft stock too much. 

I'm a medical provider. It would have to take a TON for me to take off MY job, or any job during my pursuit to medicine, because of COVID. Of course I have family members at risk...we all do. It would really take having one of my children or wife with immunodeficiency to consider stepping away. I don't know Chase's situation, and maybe he did have a very good reason to say that it's not worth it. But you'd be a fool if you don't think that his personality and drive won't be under the microscope. It absolutely should be...it will very likely be what determines his success. It's a question, and a significant question, that puts him in a higher risk category than Smith, in my opinion. So Smith is skinny? I can work with someone who is skinny but has the drive/work ethic to be elite. Smith and Chase are only comparable prospects if Chase has a very good reason for opting out this season.

Me too. The difference is, if you get hurt on the job, your future earnings aren't in question.

If chase got injured, his draft stock would plummet and he was already a consensus first round pick.

It's not at all the same.

And Smith has been skinny for 4 years. I don't think it's something that can be fixed. There hasn't been a receiver as skinny as Smith at his height who has been a great success in the NFL. Hence the understandable apprehension.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Me too. The difference is, if you get hurt on the job, your future earnings aren't in question.

If chase got injured, his draft stock would plummet and he was already a consensus first round pick.

It's not at all the same.

And Smith has been skinny for 4 years. I don't think it's something that can be fixed. There hasn't been a receiver as skinny as Smith at his height who has been a great success in the NFL. Hence the understandable apprehension.

If I took a year off it wouldn't hurt my earning potential? Oh contrare. 

Marvin Harrison was skinny the day he entered the league, and the day he left it. He was fine...one of the greatest WR's ever. 

With Chase, you have a guy who voluntarily decided that he'd rather avoid the risk of injury (and perhaps work) instead of improving his game on the field. Absolutely, I question his drive and his desire to play. Everyone else will as well. 

• Like 1