2021 Detroit Lions Starting QB

Millenhater

Thought I would start a new thread were we can discuss the possible candidates to replace Stafford.  We can talk about scouting profiles.  Pros, cons, etc.  I'm going to rattle off a few names for us to discuss.  Feel free to throw out some more and to breakdown your thoughts on them.

Sam Darnold (trade)

Deshaun Watson (trade)

Justin Fields

Trey Lance

Zach Wilson

Dak Prescott

Cam Newton

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Chase Daniel

Chase - I would take him out of this. We've seen how he looks when he's the starter. It isn't good.

Cam - would have to go somewhere where he can compete with a young guy but is probably going to be a veteran back up. I could see him going to Baltimore and replacing RG3 as Lamar's back up. 

Dak - He's going to cost A LOT. Teams that have had recent success have generally done it with younger QB's on rookie deals and stronger rosters. For a team that has done a great job at drafting in the middle rounds, has the cap space and wants to make that push with an upgrade at QB then he might make sense. If the Rams want to move off of Goff, that might make a lot of sense. Indy could be another team that would take a run at him if he is available. 

Sam - all depends on cost. If you can get him for a 2nd+, he's worth kicking the can on. If you need to give up a 1st (even if it's in the 20's or a future) I'd rather stay the course. 

Deshaun - He's going to create so many issues for this roster. Great player. The draft capital to acquire him will hamstring your ability to build out the roster. The cap hit is going to hurt your ability to address other parts and building out the roster. So you'd run into a lot of the same issues as in Houston. Good player without a complete roster and no resources to address the holes. He'd sell some jerseys but I don't think we'd have much more long term success. 

Fitzpatrick - Would be a great fit with a young QB. He seems to be a really good mentor but he's also a competitor. Downside is that he'll win 2-3 games that will hurt draft position. 

Lance - I view him as a Jordan Love-type guy. Has some tools but he is far from a refined product. He'll be nearly two years removed from playing on a field (less 1 game) by the time the season starts again. 

I feel like the team will end up drafting Lance or Fields and we will bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor to hold down the fort until they are ready. Chase Daniel is probably gone, and Fitzpatrick might be too expensive. We have so little draft capital that even if we trade Stafford I don't see the team giving up picks for Darnold, let alone Watson. We aren't in a position where signing Dak makes sense either. 

Draft: Lance or Fields

Sign: Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jacoby Brissett

I'm in the Watson/Wilson/Prescott/wait it out camp at the moment. All are capable franchise QB's. Would compete this year upon a rebuild(competing as in play tough and entertain, not necessarly record.)

Don't hate the idea of building the "team" around Daniels/stop-gap QB and draft a QB next year assuming we have a top 5 pick. 

It's not easy to pick/sign franchise QB's either way you cut this out. It's why Stafford's valued even at 33.

Edited by SimbaWho

If Fields is there at #7, I'd be open to taking the risk on him. Now that we have seen a team like the Cardinals do the swap out (Rosen/Murray), you can get off a young QB that you don't believe in a lot faster. There's a lot of upside in Fields but I don't think he's a finished product. Draft him at #7, get other assets for Stafford and some of the pieces that we have who don't fit (Flowers, Coleman, Shelton, etc. etc. whatever you can get) and add other pieces. Start him and get him more in game experience. Couple him with a veteran that can show him the ropes. I'd be open to bringing in Cam to pair with Fields but whomever it is will be playing the Fitzpatrick/mentor role. Fields is your starter and he either sinks or swims. 

I'm not talking about wins but just about competitive spirit, plays, leadership, etc. Have him show you that he is a guy that you can build around and he can develop out of the inexperience and bad habits. 

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If the Lions don't land Fields/Wilson, I'd rather role the dice with Chase Daniel for one year and go after a QB next year. Unless we can land Watson, which is DOA.

I am pretty much with you here, except I would rather see what Blough has. We know what Chase Daniel is.

Also am good with Lance a bit later with the hopeful pick wr get for Stafford.

Hard no on Watson or Dak. I do not want to give up assets or that amount of cash at this juncture when we are in a rebuild. 

Edited by BarryTheBest

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Something tells me J Winston could end up in Det. I know NO wants him back but Campbell is connected there.

Taysom Hill is the real difference maker in this. Ego and desire to prove he can be "the guy" could force Jameis out if Payton wants to continue to sprinkle Hill in. Brees was the unquestioned starter, paid like one and the gimmick worked. If Jameis wants a starting job again with contract to boot, playing tag team with Hill seems less than ideal. Especially since Hill started while Brees was out. 

3 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I really think they still need to take a QB at 7. Looks at this point like they will have to take a chance on Trey Lance or Mac Jones, and if I were the Lions I'd just do my work on those guys, decide which one I like better, and do it.

I don't think the Jared Goff inclusion really changes the equation.  I believe there's no more guarantees left on his deal since the signing bonus accelerates and hits the Rams' cap before the trade is consummated.  Roll with Goff as your starting QB, and if the Rams can rehab his value then they'll be able to flip him next offseason for a profit.  And if he still sucks, then they can release him for no dead cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I really think they still need to take a QB at 7. Looks at this point like they will have to take a chance on Trey Lance or Mac Jones, and if I were the Lions I'd just do my work on those guys, decide which one I like better, and do it.

I don’t think there’s any value in taking Jones to sit him.  He seems like a high floor low ceiling type prospect.  Lance on the other hand is just the opposite.  Maybe not that low of a floor, but still I wouldn’t mind if we took him.  It just sucks to not get another blue chip prospect if we take the QB this year.

I think this trade makes Trey Lance more likely at 7.

Campbell's comments (here) (here) make it seem more and more like they're going to tear the team down, take the dead cap hits, build systems with young and cheap players for a year, and go forward with four 1st rounders the next two years.

I'm in favor of this. Even if we go 2-14, I'll be looking for those players who can be good going forward.

If you're doing this, you need to have a young QB who you're looking at to be the guy by 2023. You gotta take a chance on the best one in this draft. And it doesn't matter at all if they're a project. In fact, you might want to deliberately take the one who's the biggest gamble with the biggest upside. You have the picks to fix it if he turns out to be the wrong guy.