2021 Detroit Lions Starting QB

Millenhater

If we think the Lions are going to give Goff a serious chance to succeed I could see them using a high pick on a OG or even a RT.  I wonder if Slater could be high on their board as he could be a stud at either position.  Goff from what i’ve Seen and heard is he’s really bad a dealing with pressure especially up the middle.  And in our division where teams like the Vikings love to blitz the A Gap and could see them putting together a stud OLine for Goff or possibly the QB of the Future so we can drop him in.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I see Goff at the very most as someone to get us through until the next guy's ready. It could be as little as a few games. Not to mention the possibility that they'll move Goff on to another team before the draft.

If you can get a 1st round pick+ for Goff from an Indianapolis, Washington, etc. you do it. Eat the salary, add extra picks and keep on with this restructure. 

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If you can get a 1st round pick+ for Goff from an Indianapolis, Washington, etc. you do it. Eat the salary, add extra picks and keep on with this restructure. 

With the Rams picking up most of his guaranteed money, what salary would the Lions have to eat if they traded Goff? 

51 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I was thinking about this.... I might consider a 2nd for Goff, especially from a team like Denver. 40th pick (and maybe cash considerations) for Goff? Denver doesn't miss out on a QB, Lions add another high draft pick. 

46 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

With the Rams picking up most of his guaranteed money, what salary would the Lions have to eat if they traded Goff? 

In the NFL News thread, Forge floated the idea of the Lions converting his 15M roster bonus to a signing bonus before moving him. That would be one way to work it and they could spread the hit out a little too.

That would leave Goff still making a big number but cutting his hit by 7m a season could be the difference.

4 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

In the NFL News thread, Forge floated the idea of the Lions converting his 15M roster bonus to a signing bonus before moving him. That would be one way to work it and they could spread the hit out a little too.

That would leave Goff still making a big number but cutting his hit by 7m a season could be the difference.

That's really not a bad idea if they have a good trade lined up. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

IF Goff could net a FRP+, why wouldn't that have been apart of the initial trade?  Either the Lions legitimately like Goff or Goff doesn't have that trade value.  There's really no reason this trade couldn't have morphed into a 3-team trade.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF Goff could net a FRP+, why wouldn't that have been apart of the initial trade?  Either the Lions legitimately like Goff or Goff doesn't have that trade value.  There's really no reason this trade couldn't have morphed into a 3-team trade.

The Lions would have to have him on their team, and get him to sign off on converting the roster bonus, before they could move him along.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

The Lions would have to have him on their team, and get him to sign off on converting the roster bonus, before they could move him along.

It's an interesting concept idea of converting his roster bonus into a signing bonus, and there's no reason why Goff would opposed converting it from a roster bonus to a signing bonus since it doesn't change the money equation for him.  But the problem is the money is saved in 2022, not 2021.  The team acquiring him is still paying him $25M this year, but then it dips to $10M the year after.

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But the problem is the money is saved in 2022, not 2021.  The team acquiring him is still paying him $25M this year, but then it dips to $10M the year after.

I'm not an expert, but I don't know where you're getting this assumption from.

@Forge, what's your take on this? If the Lions converted Goff's roster bonus, how would that affect the money for a team that traded for him?

14 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

@Forge, what's your take on this? If the Lions converted Goff's roster bonus, how would that affect the money for a team that traded for him?

@CWood21  is correct. The roster  bonus I was speaking on is his 2022 roster bonus, which is already fully guaranteed. The reason I advocated for it is because future guarantees are toxic in trade negotiations for guys like Goff. Wentz's contract suffers the same problem (as does any negotiation on Cousins). These guys are now reclamation projects and you want to be able to move on if you don't like what you see in a year.  It really removes value from the asset because a team can't move on after the year is over. The value of Goff in trade is vastly different on what can ostensibly be a one year deal at 28 million as opposed to 2/43 which is what his second year of guarantees forces. I mean, people are talking about Goff as having negative contract equity basically, yet Joe Flacco, who was clearly toast, got a 4th round pick in 2019 when traded and had positive value. But he didn't have any guarantees left (though they did restructure him after acquiring him, which is kind of funny). 

Teams don't save money, but they gain the ability to move on if he doesn't pan out without paying him another cent. This is important. Then if they do keep him around, they have an uber cheap guy the second year, which isn't nothing, but also isn't the primary method of creating a market for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I mean, I guess in theory the Lions could convert Goff's base salary ($25.3M) into a signing bonus, and then deal him.  That'd give the team acquiring him with a cap hit of around $3.5M which is minuscule for his production.  It's an interesting thought process and I question how many franchises would be willing to do that.  And I think the NFL could view it as cap circumvention.  I don't think they would nix it, but I think there's that possibility.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I guess in theory the Lions could convert Goff's base salary ($25.3M) into a signing bonus, and then deal him.  That'd give the team acquiring him with a cap hit of around $3.5M which is minuscule for his production.  It's an interesting thought process and I question how many franchises would be willing to do that.  And I think the NFL could view it as cap circumvention.  I don't think they would nix it, but I think there's that possibility.

Nah, he's asking about Goff's 2022 roster bonus. Converting it would eliminate the guaranteed money past this year. Whether or not you could do that without Goff's agreement would depend on the language the Rams put in the contract.

Edited by jrry32