Football Mythbusters

biggie.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Rivalries - There are no rivalries in the NFL anymore. I wouldn't be able to work out whether a Ravens fan would root for us or Pittsburgh in an AFC CG. I wouldn't be able to work out if a Broncos fan would root for KC or Tampa in this superbowl because they are 'sick of Brady'. If you look at other sports, you'd find what a rivalry actually is. Celtic vs Rangers in soccer, for example, the city of Glasgow is shut down and police are mobilised across the infrastructure. Religion is also involved. 

Yeah there is no comparison with soccer and football in regards to rivalries. The rivalries and overall atmosphere are just on a completely different level in soccer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, biggie. said:

Ever hear common claims that are actually busted?

For example, people claim Tom Brady gets all the roughing the passer calls. In reality, RYAN FITZPATRICK has benefited from the call the most.

I'd need to see the hit to RTP call ratio. Ryan Fitzpatrick has played behind some woeful OL. TB12 historically outside of a few years has not.

9 hours ago, biggie. said:

Wrong again!!!!

Despite playing the most amount of games, Brady has a very low average on a per game basis. Josh Allen leads that category.

The claim that Tom Brady gets all of the roughing the passer calls has been DEBUNKED.

You're confusing quantity with quality. The issue isn't how many he gets. Its that he gets calls that others don't.

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Home Field Advantage - The % of home wins is just over 50%. This can be accounted for with on-field performance. If HFA was truly as powerful as it's made out, the winning % would be massive and poorer teams routinely knock off better teams in their house. It's rare.

I don't really understand this.  Wouldn't anything over 50% indicate an advantage?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

You need to be a good run team in order to be a good play action team. 

I think that saying is more geared towards gameday than overall philosophy, whether it's meant that way explicitly or abstractly.

You can be a woeful running team in regards to the entire season, but on the every so often game where your run game is clicking, playaction will open up for you.

Conversely, a team with a reputation for a formidable run game can have their run game shut down (or their opponent jumps out to an early big lead on them, forcing them to lean on the pass) in the every so often game, and playaction won't open up. 

Edited by Freeman McToon

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Home Field Advantage - The % of home wins is just over 50%. This can be accounted for with on-field performance. If HFA was truly as powerful as it's made out, the winning % would be massive and poorer teams routinely knock off better teams in their house. It's rare.

Interesting... do you have actual numbers you can point us to? I'm curious how big the affect actually is

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The formula to win in the NFL is run the ball and have a good defense

59 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

These are the myths, right? Because its been pretty thoroughly debunked by most analyst. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Meh, i can specifically remember the Kirk Cousins led WFT - generally Top 10 in PA and bottom half of the league in rushing. Specifically 9th and 27th in rushing in 2017 it appears. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Big, we could add about 20 Brady related ones to this. Let's give them a day off :D

I'll go with....

Rivalries - There are no rivalries in the NFL anymore. I wouldn't be able to work out whether a Ravens fan would root for us or Pittsburgh in an AFC CG. I wouldn't be able to work out if a Broncos fan would root for KC or Tampa in this superbowl because they are 'sick of Brady'. If you look at other sports, you'd find what a rivalry actually is. Celtic vs Rangers in soccer, for example, the city of Glasgow is shut down and police are mobilised across the infrastructure. Religion is also involved. 

Amongst fans, the rivalry thing still exists. I hate the Eagles and Cowboys and actively root against them. Soccer has always had more insanity even at the height of NFL rivalries. Doesn't mean they don't exist.

1 hour ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

the 2020 KC Chiefs have entered the chat

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

These are the myths, right? Because its been pretty thoroughly debunked by most analyst. 

Right, in the current NFL it's a 100% myth you need to be  able to run the ball and play good defense to win. In fact, it's quite the opposite, you need to score points at a premium to win in the NFL. The Ravens and Titans are examples of why that philosophy is now a myth.

The Chiefs are the best team in the NFL 2-years running with a pretty average defense (that's capable of making timely plays, which is really the key) and the best passing offense in the NFL and one of the worst running games.

• Like 1