2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

14 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

If god forbid we actually do this, and Rodgers has another MVP season, the bottom asking price should be five first round picks.  That is not an exaggeration.  

It probably is.  You're probably talking about what the Niners gave up plus a bit more.  Something like 3 FRPs, a SRP, and a 3rd round pick with one of those Day 2 picks coming in Y2.

13 hours ago, Leader said:

This ^^^

Everybody can sit back and relax until Love shows something on an NFL field. Till that happens, ARs not going anywhere.  Gute's not stupid.

He's taking up almost 20% of our cap now and his hit goes up next year. Hopefully the cap goes up and gives us some breathing room - but still, Love has to show something. Has to prove he can stick - or AR's talent falls off the face of the earth.

I mean, what did Rodgers show on an NFL field that led TT and MM to move on from Favre?  If you see enough in practice and mop-up duties, they'll move on.  They're not going to move on from Rodgers if Love looks bad.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, what did Rodgers show on an NFL field that led TT and MM to move on from Favre?  If you see enough in practice and mop-up duties, they'll move on.  They're not going to move on from Rodgers if Love looks bad.

Cant honestly recall ARs preseason work - but because of COVID19 Love's not had any OTA/TC or PS work and practices aren't what they used to be. They're banking on Love's Junior season being the guy on the roster - but only some actual game time action's gonna advance that premise beyond just being a premise.

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I remember in 2007 Rodgers coming in against a tough Cowboys team after Favre went down, and while we still lost, he was playing like Aaron Rodgers. That, for me, was the moment I was like "Okay this Rodgers guy might be something." I'm sure TT and MM had similar feelings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Rodgers had QB school. Rodgers also had how many full training camps. Rodgers was also a much better prospect. Also Favre was being Favre. Love has had zoom calls. Rodgers was MVP.  The comparisons aren't even close. 

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Do you not remember the Dallas game?  Farve was playing like crap and we were getting smoked.  He got injured and Rodgers came in and lit it up.  Almost won the game.  That was a real eye opener.  After seeing that even Farve had to stand up and take notice.

I'm not sure what some fans are even arguing anymore. If you don't like Rodgers or his cap hit and want to wing it with unproven guys, just say so. Trying to make it sound like a justifiable decision from a talent or win now standpoint ..... there's simply nothing there to argue.

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

hindsight is 50/50

What exactly is your hindsight? Love was ranked where Fields or Lance are ranked this year - ranked 4th. Lets see what he can do and if he can replace Rodgers in a  year or two. You do get Rodgers will turn 38 this year and is the leagues highest paid player. 

What drives the debate into being a debate is 12's age.  If he were 30 there would be no conversation.  We do not want to bury ourselves in a long term contract with a guy who will be 38 this season.  2-3 years where we couldn't move him sure, but let's not dig deeper than that.  Trading him for multiple treasure chests after this year has merit and is worthy of conversation.  4 or 5 high picks is a recipe to build your team in a quick hurry and for the long term.  3 years from now 12 may still have worth if we extend him.  My hope is by extending him we aren't tied down for more than that many years with no way out.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

What exactly is your hindsight? Love was ranked where Fields or Lance are ranked this year - ranked 4th. Lets see what he can do and if he can replace Rodgers in a  year or two. You do get Rodgers will turn 38 this year and is the leagues highest paid player. 

PFF said Love would be ranked behind Fields and Lance. Same ballpark as Trask

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm not sure what some fans are even arguing anymore. If you don't like Rodgers or his cap hit and want to wing it with unproven guys, just say so. Trying to make it sound like a justifiable decision from a talent or win now standpoint ..... there's simply nothing there to argue.

It's a very weird argument. People literally want to trade the guy who may have been the best player in the NFL last year (or at least the best player at the most important position in the sport), all in an effort to justify a poor decision by the GM to prematurely draft a QB in the first round. 

It was a very difficult decision to defend when it happened, and it's a 100% more difficult to defend now after Rodgers just slapped the FO in the face with another MVP season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I'm calling out his rationale dismissing Love because "Rodgers is an MVP". Rodgers was not an MVP in 2006. He was using hindsight to justify an unjustifiable position.

Love and Rodgers were similarly ranked prospects, and the staff should have a good feel for the chances of Love's future success following this season IMO. I, for one, am VERY enticed at the idea of moving forward with a skilled 23 year old QB, incredible draft capital, and significant cap space in 2022. Our Front Office would have a LOT of resources to build an incredible roster around Love, that could open a sizable window for success if he's even Jared Goff-level good.