2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

20 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Williams is very "meh" to me either way. The guy doesn't move the needle. We'll win the same amount of games with or without Williams. If the Packers don't want to pay Jones, I get it, but I wouldn't resign Williams either. Go with Dillon and young guy as your backs. Frankly, maybe Dexter takes a step in year 3. I'd rather spend that extra $3-4 million we're talking about for Williams towards adding a WR, CB or IDL. 

I get that, but that's a LOT to put on AJ Dillon's plate.  That's roughly 90% of the RB snaps coming out of the offense in one full year.  Are you comfortable with AJ Dillon and a rookie?  The equation isn't very difficult.  You can pay Aaron Jones what he wants in terms of AAV, but you keep the guarantees low which is why we are at a stalemate with him with regards to the negotiations.  As for Williams, it's just a question of how much money the Packers are willing to spend.  I'm not sure the RB market is going to be heavy, and if the Packers can get him for $2M or less then you bring him back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SSG said:

Tae isn't going ANYWHERE regardless of what 12 does or doesn't want.  

IMO if 12 restructures/ extends it's going to be so he can get some security.  It's pretty evident by his comments over the last 8 months that he's not at all secure with position in Green Bay's future.  

Agreed.  I think Davante is a pretty clear extension candidate this offseason.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I get that, but that's a LOT to put on AJ Dillon's plate.  That's roughly 90% of the RB snaps coming out of the offense in one full year.  Are you comfortable with AJ Dillon and a rookie?  The equation isn't very difficult.  You can pay Aaron Jones what he wants in terms of AAV, but you keep the guarantees low which is why we are at a stalemate with him with regards to the negotiations.  As for Williams, it's just a question of how much money the Packers are willing to spend.  I'm not sure the RB market is going to be heavy, and if the Packers can get him for $2M or less then you bring him back.

Williams doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to demand big bucks and he loves the team so I could see him sacrificing some hard earned cash if it'll get him a ring. Personally, I think he's back on a reasonable contract and Jones goes to a place like Miami.

8 hours ago, Joe said:

Williams doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to demand big bucks and he loves the team so I could see him sacrificing some hard earned cash if it'll get him a ring. Personally, I think he's back on a reasonable contract and Jones goes to a place like Miami.

I'm not in the business of predicting people to take less money.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Either ...

the cap is much higher than people expect or there are a lot of players getting cut this off-season and a lot of running backs who are going to playing on very small contracts in 2021.

So we sign a veteran running back. If Williams signs cheap then it can be him that's great. If not then just sign one of the others.

So Dillon, cheap vet, rookie seems the running back room.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

You know anything about Patrick Taylor (currently on our practice squad) and see any chance he's got what it takes to actually make the active roster / get field time?

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

You know anything about Patrick Taylor (currently on our practice squad) and see any chance he's got what it takes to actually make the active roster / get field time?

Patrick has great size - cut like a super hero. Under developed, though with low mileage, as part of a dynamic running back by committee at Memphis. Good speed for a big guy, decent hands and size to protect with development. Certainly has all the tools to be a great special teams contributor.  He will never be a teams' bell cow, but with hard work and good coaching could fit the role as a #3 back on a roster.

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Either ...

the cap is much higher than people expect or there are a lot of players getting cut this off-season and a lot of running backs who are going to playing on very small contracts in 2021.

So we sign a veteran running back. If Williams signs cheap then it can be him that's great. If not then just sign one of the others.

If I am guessing (which I am) I'd expect the 2021 RB room to be Dillon, Williams and a rookie with a Jones(ish) skill set.  I'd expect Williams to sign something in the 2M-3M range.

Adding someone like Michael Carter to a Dillon/Williams backfield seems like a much better option than paying Jones.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Murray is the high point in terms of backup RBs.  But given that Sean Payton prefers to not overload Alvin Kamara, he's a "starting" RB even if he isn't starting.

If you exclude the game that Williams left early with injury and the games where he started (he got 85%+ snap share in those 2 starts), Green Bay actually used William's at a higher rate than Payton used Murray.  

7 hours ago, SSG said:

If you exclude the game that Williams left early with injury and the games where he started (he got 85%+ snap share in those 2 starts), Green Bay actually used William's at a higher rate than Payton used Murray.  

He played nearly 41% of the offensive snaps his first year in New Orleans.  While Kamara played 59% of the snaps that year.  This year, Kamara's snaps jumped by 2% while Murray's dropped by more than 7%.  Latavious Murray is the contract comp that Jamaal Williams' agent should be asking for.

Once we get our cap situation straightened out, the Texans can save $19 mil by cutting J.J. Watt, who won't want to play for them next year, anyway with their less-than-ideal situation. 

Think he'll take a discount to play with us? He grew up in Wisconsin and he'll want to play for a contender. Plus imagine him next to Clark.

22 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Once we get our cap situation straightened out, the Texans can save $19 mil by cutting J.J. Watt, who won't want to play for them next year, anyway with their less-than-ideal situation. 

Think he'll take a discount to play with us? He grew up in Wisconsin and he'll want to play for a contender. Plus imagine him next to Clark.

He's on the downside, but I think he's still got some game and would probably see a resurgence playing next to Clark and having a legit shot at a title.  PFF graded him out pretty well this year.  If there's a way to make the money work I'd make a move for him as long as it doesn't break the bank.  I bet he would have an impact in the locker room as well. 

Are there any Wilkerson type guys out there ??

I thought that was a great low risk move. I watched him pretty closely and he was double teamed on every play, didn't seemed bothered in the least, and kept pushing and moving. Obviously, he was a shell of his prime, but those guys make a difference. All the props to Lowry, but he's pushing a boulder up hill on every play, literally and figuratively. Guys like Wilkerson -- you can just see it right away that they are different, God given or otherwise

Edited by cannondale