2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's not how it always works. We drafted Gary when we had two really solid players in front of him. Doesn't make him any less of a draft prospect.

I know. We didnt need him to make an immediate impact - good for us because he clearly wasnt ready - which goes to prove the point I've been making: teams make selections based on a number of variables - and players cant be designated rankings based simply where they're selected......i.e. some NFL-wide standard.

There are 32 standards and while there's certainly agreement on some players - valuations (and drafting) of others can be based on specific need.

Still - though we may not have needed Gary - if he could have brought the goods his rookie year, we'd have found time for him. In lieu of giving snaps to who? Kyler Fackrell? It's certainly an inexact science....but I'd like to think the 12th best player in the draft could outplay Kyler Fackrell.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

I know. We didnt need him to make an immediate impact - good for us because he clearly wasnt ready - which goes to prove the point I've been making: teams make selections based on a number of variables - and players cant be designated rankings based simply where they're selected......i.e. some NFL-wide standard.

There are 32 standards and while there's certainly agreement on some players - valuations (and drafting) of others can be based on specific need.

Still - though we may not have needed Gary - if he could have brought the goods his rookie year, we'd have found time for him. In lieu of giving snaps to who? Kyler Frakrell? It's certainly an inexact science....but I'd like to think the 12th best player in the draft could outplay Kyler Frakrell.

Not sure I understand what point you're trying to make. You are correct evaluations will vary per team. He was pretty clearly 12 or higher on the Packers board. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Not sure I understand what point you're trying to make. You are correct evaluations will vary per team. He was pretty clearly 12 or higher on the Packers board. 

My point has been from the beginning there are number of variables that goes into draft order/selection - and they're team specific.

In other words: we agree.

Since they selected him - Gary had to be 12th or higher on the Packers board - or else - they reached on him for need and believed they could fill other needs later.  Gary could have been a precursor to AJD. Dont need him now - and he's not ready now - but we will need him and can take care of our other needs down the line.

I certainty dont know - but suspect he was 12th or higher on their board.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's literally how a market works. Including the draft. Value.

You act like it's so simple. That team needs to find value to move down, another team with a need at the position needs to want to move up, the team on the clock can't have a similar tiered player they are interested in drafting, so on and so forth. You ignore all these variables that clearly exist.

58 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Aaron was considered to go #1 he fell because teams didn't need a QB. 

Considered by who? Mock drafters? 

Miami had Gus Frerotte.

Browns Trent Diler.

Bucs Chris Simms.

Titans has Steve McNair, who was at his end. 

Cardinals had Kurt Warner, who had just come off three straight abysmal seasons. At that time, they needed a QB.

Washington passed on Rodgers at #9 only to turn and take Jason Campbell at #25.

Lions were going into Year 4 of Joey Harrington. 

All of these teams picked Top 10, all needed a QB. Not only did none of them move up for Rodgers, they all passed on him at their slots. If Rodgers was truly in the discussion for #1 someone would've made a move to go get him. His mechanics needed a total overhaul, he had the Tedford stigma, and he came with an attitude. The only ones saying he was going #1 were mock draft outlets trying to pump out fresh content. The results show he wasn't anywhere near the conversation for #1.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leader said:

If the 12 best player in a draft cant get steady field time for 4 years......thats one lousy draft. Outside some minor injuries along the way - the road was clear for him to make a difference. If he could bring it - they'd have found a way to get him on the field. Didnt happen. We're hoping this will be the year he takes the reins completely.  If he was the 12th best......doesnt speak well of the others drafted.

Gary is only going into Year 3

The Bengals draft department was the laughing stock of the league for years. The fewest amount of resources and personnel allocated to drafting in the league. The running joke was that they picked up a Street & Smith draft guide and went from there. There was a time when the Cowboys draft department and sciences was head and shoulders above everyone else. Their data collected and use of measurables was ground breaking. The rest of the league at one point or another fell somewhere in between.

Zero way to factor in that sliding scale of competence, hence making any judegements based upon "being chosen" invalid.

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Do you not remember the Dallas game?  Farve was playing like crap and we were getting smoked.  He got injured and Rodgers came in and lit it up.  Almost won the game.  That was a real eye opener.  After seeing that even Farve had to stand up and take notice.

You mean, the game where he went 18-26 for 201 passing yards with 1 TD and 0 INT?  I really don't remember being that game being one where Rodgers "lit it up" by any standard.  I remember, Favre being terribad in that game, and he was "benched" and Rodgers played solidly.  But nothing in that game indicated to me he was the future HoF QB.

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm not sure what some fans are even arguing anymore. If you don't like Rodgers or his cap hit and want to wing it with unproven guys, just say so. Trying to make it sound like a justifiable decision from a talent or win now standpoint ..... there's simply nothing there to argue.

I mean, if you believe in Jordan Love, is it not possible that people think that Jordan Love PLUS multiple FRPs PLUS the ~$30M in cap space gives the Packers a better option to win?