2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

55 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Mike Silver is my spirit animal. 

"Go get everybody with no cap room".

Silver with some mighty revisionist history too as to how Tampa was built.

It's going to be a looooooooooooong offseason of these clown takes from the Silvers of the world.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, CWood21 said:

I get that, but that's a LOT to put on AJ Dillon's plate.  That's roughly 90% of the RB snaps coming out of the offense in one full year.  Are you comfortable with AJ Dillon and a rookie?  The equation isn't very difficult.  You can pay Aaron Jones what he wants in terms of AAV, but you keep the guarantees low which is why we are at a stalemate with him with regards to the negotiations.  As for Williams, it's just a question of how much money the Packers are willing to spend.  I'm not sure the RB market is going to be heavy, and if the Packers can get him for $2M or less then you bring him back.

Agreed. 

I'd rather  pay Williams (up to $3M).  Then you roll with Dillon, Williams and Taylor.  You're RB room is relatively cheap and experienced. Keeps the offense rolling without the learning curve a rookie would need.

Plus, Dillon and Williams probably have ARod's trust, you know that just isn't handed out to anyone.  

I usually don't partake in what if scenarios, but when thinking of team needs and the draft, this weird idea entered my skull.

Elgton Jenkins:  We all know how good he is. Versatility off the charts. 2 years left on his contract. Should get even better. Can't really think of anything negative to say about him.  Assuming he stays at Guard, safe to say he may re-set the market and then some at contract time.

Miami offers #18 and #36 - do you take it ?

Have to assume Bakhtiari comes back strong. Gute has to draft an OT at some point regardless. Runyan has shown something. Stepaniak seems like a mauler in waiting. Painful, no doubt, but you have to give something to get something. All that said, don't know if I'd have the stones to do it

Edited by cannondale

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I usually don't partake in what if scenarios, but when thinking of team needs and the draft, this weird idea entered my skull.

Elgton Jenkins:  We all know how good he is. Versatility off the charts. 2 years left on his contract. Should get even better. Can't really think of anything negative to say about him.  Assuming he stays at Guard, safe to say he may re-set the market and then some at contract time.

Miami offers #18 and #36 - do you take it ?

Have to assume Bakhtiari comes back strong. Gute has to draft an OT at some point regardless. Runyan has shown something. Stepaniak seems like a mauler in waiting. Painful, no doubt, but you have to give something to get something. All that said, don't know if I'd have the stones to do it

Nope.  Next

On 2/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, Striker said:

"Go get everybody with no cap room".

Silver with some mighty revisionist history too as to how Tampa was built.

It's going to be a looooooooooooong offseason of these clown takes from the Silvers of the world.

All hyperbole from Silver aside, we can't overlook that another reason why the Bucs roster looks the way it does versus ours is that they have absolutely killed the draft lately....and the Packers haven't. 

Now, yes, the Bucs have drafted higher than the Packers recently, but for that reason, let's completely discount the 1st round (where the Bucs have landed guys like Wirfs, White, Vea, etc. Let's only look at the past few years' 2nd-4th round picks versus ours: 

2020: 

• Bucs: Winfield (2nd), Ke'Shawn Vaughn (3rd), Tyler Johnson (5th - no 4th)
  • Packers: Dillon (2nd), Deguara (3rd), Martin (5th - no 4th)
  • Overall -- Tampa wins with the Winfield pick, but otherwise not a huge disparity in year 1.

2019: 

• Bucs: Murphy-Bunting (2nd), Jamel Dean (3rd), Mike Edwards (3rd), Anthony Nelson (4th)
  • Packers: Jenkins (2nd), Sternberger (3rd), Keke (5th - no 4th)
  • Overall: Bucs hit on both their 2nd and 3rd round picks, getting 2 CBs who had good seasons, especially MB who was pretty much a star in the playoffs. Edwards is also a decent No. 3 safety. Packers hit big with Jenkins. Sternberger has been a huge bust through 2 years, and Keke is good value for a 5th for sure. 

2018: 

• Bucs: Jones (2nd), Stewart (2nd), Davis (3rd), Cappa (3rd), Whitehead (4th)
  • Packers: Jackson (2nd), Burks (3rd), Moore (4th)
  • Overall: This is where it gets insulting and devastating to a roster. These are guys now in their 3rd year (the big jump year) -- guys you're depending on. The Bucs landed 4 starters in rounds 2-4 including their top RB, top CB, starting G and No. 1 safety. The Packers went Bust, BUST, and Huge Bust. It's nearly impossible to overcome these massive misses. 

2017: 

• Bucs: J. Evans (2nd), Godwin (3rd), Beckwith (3rd), no 4th
  • Packers: J. Jones (2nd), M. Adams (3rd), Biegel (4th), J. Williams (4th)
  • Overall, The Bucs missed on their 2nd and second 3rd but landed Godwin in the 3rd round, one of their top play-makers. The Packers again, were abysmal in the 2nd (Jones) and 3rd (Adams), then drafted Biegel who they cut right away, and finally landed Jamal in the 4th. 

Now, of course we could look at picks in the 5th-7th rounds and say we found guys like MVS, Aaron Jones, etc., but Day 3 picks are expected to be more hit-or-miss. GB's propensity, especially in 2017 and 2018 to miss BADLY on 2nd and 3rd round picks killed this team in key positions. Meanwhile, while the Bucs went out and got Brady, Fournette, AB, Gronk, Barrett, JPP and Suh -- a good crop of veteran guys, they also relied a lot on hitting on several Day 2, early Day 3 draft picks. In fact, the Bucs pretty much killed their last 3 drafts (2018-2020), not only with the guys listed above but with their 1st rounders being Vea, White and Wirfs. All 3 of those are home run picks. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

All hyperbole from Silver aside, we can't overlook that another reason why the Bucs roster looks the way it does versus ours is that they have absolutely killed the draft lately....and the Packers haven't. 

Now, yes, the Bucs have drafted higher than the Packers recently, but for that reason, let's completely discount the 1st round (where the Bucs have landed guys like Wirfs, White, Vea, etc. Let's only look at the past few years' 2nd-4th round picks versus ours: 

2020: 

• Bucs: Winfield (2nd), Ke'Shawn Vaughn (3rd), Tyler Johnson (5th - no 4th)
  • Packers: Dillon (2nd), Deguara (3rd), Martin (5th - no 4th)
  • Overall -- Tampa wins with the Winfield pick, but otherwise not a huge disparity in year 1.

2019: 

• Bucs: Murphy-Bunting (2nd), Jamel Dean (3rd), Mike Edwards (3rd), Anthony Nelson (4th)
  • Packers: Jenkins (2nd), Sternberger (3rd), Keke (5th - no 4th)
  • Overall: Bucs hit on both their 2nd and 3rd round picks, getting 2 CBs who had good seasons, especially MB who was pretty much a star in the playoffs. Edwards is also a decent No. 3 safety. Packers hit big with Jenkins. Sternberger has been a huge bust through 2 years, and Keke is good value for a 5th for sure. 

2018: 

• Bucs: Jones (2nd), Stewart (2nd), Davis (3rd), Cappa (3rd), Whitehead (4th)
  • Packers: Jackson (2nd), Burks (3rd), Moore (4th)
  • Overall: This is where it gets insulting and devastating to a roster. These are guys now in their 3rd year (the big jump year) -- guys you're depending on. The Bucs landed 4 starters in rounds 2-4 including their top RB, top CB, starting G and No. 1 safety. The Packers went Bust, BUST, and Huge Bust. It's nearly impossible to overcome these massive misses. 

2017: 

• Bucs: J. Evans (2nd), Godwin (3rd), Beckwith (3rd), no 4th
  • Packers: J. Jones (2nd), M. Adams (3rd), Biegel (4th), J. Williams (4th)
  • Overall, The Bucs missed on their 2nd and second 3rd but landed Godwin in the 3rd round, one of their top play-makers. The Packers again, were abysmal in the 2nd (Jones) and 3rd (Adams), then drafted Biegel who they cut right away, and finally landed Jamal in the 4th. 

Now, of course we could look at picks in the 5th-7th rounds and say we found guys like MVS, Aaron Jones, etc., but Day 3 picks are expected to be more hit-or-miss. GB's propensity, especially in 2017 and 2018 to miss BADLY on 2nd and 3rd round picks killed this team in key positions. Meanwhile, while the Bucs went out and got Brady, Fournette, AB, Gronk, Barrett, JPP and Suh -- a good crop of veteran guys, they also relied a lot on hitting on several Day 2, early Day 3 draft picks. In fact, the Bucs pretty much killed their last 3 drafts (2018-2020), not only with the guys listed above but with their 1st rounders being Vea, White and Wirfs. All 3 of those are home run picks. 

There it is. I've been saying for years that Ted and now Gute have both been underwhelming in the draft. A draft and development team can't have that many misses. I don't know if it's our scouting department but they have to step it up.  TB and SF rosters are better and those are the two teams we have to go through to get to the SB.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

There it is. I've been saying for years that Ted and now Gute have both been underwhelming in the draft. A draft and development team can't have that many misses. I don't know if it's our scouting department but they have to step it up.  TB and SF rosters are better and those are the two teams we have to go through to get to the SB.

As @deathstar pointed out, we have done well recently hitting on our 1st round guys. Not discounting that at all. This includes getting an All Pro in JA. But our Day 2 misses in particular, especially those guys that would have been 3rd and 4th players this year, hurt us. You're usually counting on those players to contribute by years 2-4. Guys like Jackson, Burks, Moore, Jones, Adams, and even Stern thru 2 years have been major misses - they literally don't even play at all.