2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

21 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Potentially. Or you know, get nothing or a worse G and a ST ILB. 

If we want to be able to run the ball like we did this year, we need a presence inside. Take the comp from Linsley and go. Going from Linsley and Elgton to ?-patrick. Good luck, weewthe seahawks now.

I just think I would. We’ve done well without a guard as good as him for decades. A good one will do IMO. Don’t need arguably the best OG in the game. Those picks are super value.

Not that it means much, but PFF had an article I read about free agents.  They had King listed in like the 100's for available free agents.  They projected him to Seattle for 3.5M. 1 year deal.

Whatcha say?  I think for 3.5M, he can stay here.  Should stay here.

• Like 2
Just now, MantyWrestler said:

I just think I would. We’ve done well without a guard as good as him for decades. A good one will do IMO. Don’t need arguably the best OG in the game. Those picks are super value.

Are they? kick the can a little further down the road while we train up another player? I'm not saying squander the future but we're ready to win now. Why abandon those chances today in hopes that Aaron can last another 5 years? We've also not been nearly as committed to the run, AND had Sitton and Lang for a huge period who were AP caliber.  What do we even mean a "good one will do". There's been a general buzz that Billy Turner isn't good enough at G, that Patrick needs to be upgraded.. those are league average G's. Aaron just went through a year fairly clean and completely healthy, I wonder how that was accomplished. We had a couple dominant players inside and it helped us get through our AP LT going down. Jenkins handled a lot of premier interior guys, it's going to be rough enough replacing Linsley, why compound that problem?

20 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Is he your future LT?  I’m not sure but if so, then I don’t trade him. I really think you can live without a pro bowl guard. Think we could work those picks into something special and replace Jenkins with a good and more than capable OG. 

LT, possible.   The coaching staff felt confident enough to put Jenkins at both RT and LT this season, so I am not sure why giving him a shot at RT going forward is not a consideration.

• Like 1

Jenkins has a chance to be a HOF'er and is easily our best OL. You don't trade that, especially on a rookie deal. 

In regards to how other teams outdrafted us, I think you have to look at draft position. We've been picking in the late 50's, early 60's in the 2nd round sparing the Kevin King pick. You look at where Tampa selected their 2nd round stars and they're all between picks 38-50. This is why I always suggest trading down from the 1st into the 2nd and trading up in the 2nd round to get multiple picks between 35-55. 

To take that argument further. Go look at WHO the picks have been between picks 25-34 over the past 5 years(starting with 2019) and how much success those players have had outside of TJ Watt, Kenny Clark, and Lamar Jackson(who should've been drafted a lot sooner)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NFL_Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NFL_Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_Draft

Additionally, there has been a lot of talk about how the Rams have been A-ok NOT drafting in the 1st round since Jared Goff. Perhaps we should be putting less of a premium on late 1st round picks. JMO Given that we have consistently traded UP in the 1st round with Gutey at the helm, I am proposing that we use our 3rd to trade up higher into the 1st, rather than our 4th given our draft history over the past 10 years; which our woes in the 3rd round have been discussed several times before...

• Like 2
1 minute ago, squire12 said:

LT, possible.   The coaching staff felt confident enough to put Jenkins at both RT and LT this season, so I am not sure why giving him a shot at RT going forward is not a consideration.

Agreed. Runyan more than proved he's ready to start, stick him at LG, move Jenkins to RT, and kick Billy Turner back into RG.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Are they? kick the can a little further down the road while we train up another player? I'm not saying squander the future but we're ready to win now. Why abandon those chances today in hopes that Aaron can last another 5 years? We've also not been nearly as committed to the run, AND had Sitton and Lang for a huge period who were AP caliber.  What do we even mean a "good one will do". There's been a general buzz that Billy Turner isn't good enough at G, that Patrick needs to be upgraded.. those are league average G's. Aaron just went through a year fairly clean and completely healthy, I wonder how that was accomplished. We had a couple dominant players inside and it helped us get through our AP LT going down. Jenkins handled a lot of premier interior guys, it's going to be rough enough replacing Linsley, why compound that problem?

You aren't abandoning anything. You aren't kicking the can. You are inserting Runyan, who has proven that he can handle his own, and should get better. Oh - and you are adding  additional premium draft picks in a year when the salary cap drops, and you need OT's, a CB, and DL help asap - at the minimum. And you are letting some other team pay him likely the most expensive Guard contract ever. 

Yes, there are down sides, and domino affects. But no need to exaggerate with "squander the future." That's ridiculous. Both Jones and Williams are likely not back - are we closing the window on any future because of that ? You are acting like he's Anthony Munoz 

Edited by cannondale
9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You aren't abandoning anything. You aren't kicking the can. You are inserting Runyan, who has proven that he can handle his own, and should get better. Oh - and you are adding  additional premium draft picks in a year when the salary cap drops, and you need OT's, a CB, and DL help asap - at the minimum. And you are letting some other team pay him likely the most expensive Guard contract ever. 

Yes, there are down sides, and domino affects. But no need to exaggerate with "squander the future." That's ridiculous. Both Jones and Williams are likely not back - are we closing the window on any future because of that ? It's not like he's Anthony Munoz 

what has Runyan proven?   If you are saying Runyan has proven his ability to play Guard, then Jenkins has proven his ability to play LT, LG, C, RT.....so you would trade that versatility and quality play at a premium position with 2 years remaining on a rookie contract?

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

You aren't abandoning anything. You aren't kicking the can. You are inserting Runyan, who has proven that he can handle his own, and should get better. Oh - and you are adding draft picks in a year when the salary cap drops, and you need OT's, a CB, and DL help asap - at the minimum. And you are letting some other team pay him likely the most expensive Guard contract ever. 

Yes, there are down sides, and domino affects. But no need to exaggerate with "squander the future." That's ridiculous.

You absolutely are kicking the can, rookies aren't going to give you huge production at the positions you listed, they'll have to grow into a full 17+ game season. Runyan was fine, you're *hoping* he gets better (kick the can) but there are aspects of his game that aren't going to get great, he's not keeping Donald, even an injured Donald, off of Aaron. You can leave Elgton on his own and slant your Center the other way. Having two guys, even if you keep Linsley somehow (which how? cap concerns), really puts the interior in a bind. Our offense (which is quite good) is predicated on Aaron sitting in the pocket and slangin or having a strong run game, both of which come under jeopardy if you're deteriorating the line. 

That's why I said I *won't* say squander the future.

A couple free agents I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers target if the price is right:

Desmond King III, CB

Cameron Sutton, CB

Gareon Conley, CB

Jason Verrett, CB

Daryl Williams, OT

Dalvin Tomlinson, DL

Kelvin Beachum, OT

• Like 2

If Jenkins landing spot is RT, I don't make the deal. While it's a great luxury that he can play all spots on the line, its not ideal that he actual does it. Tretter played them all too IIRC. My main question is can you win a Super Bowl with Runyan playing Guard ? My answer is yes. Can you win a Super Bowl with a sh*tty front 7 or Jackson playing CB ? No. And it would be a monster contract for a Guard upcoming.

It's not an easy deal to make, but there are big needs on this team at premium positions that great Guard play won't cover up. The domino affects work both ways

Edited by cannondale

LOL, can we win the SB with Runyan-?-Patrick.. Heaviest of doubts. Our front 7 isn't going to be massively changed, and that crew was good enough to get there with. The CB situation is an issue but a rookie CB isn't getting you there either. Okudah?

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

LOL, can we win the SB with Runyan-?-Patrick.. Heaviest of doubts. Our front 7 isn't going to be massively changed, and that crew was good enough to get there with. The CB situation is an issue but a rookie CB isn't getting you there either. Okudah?

Center is a separate issue, if that was what you are referring to. The crew wasn't good enough to get there, because they didn't get there. Anyway, no shame in differing opinions. I hope Jenkins lands at RT and we keep him

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Who says we’re not keeping Lindsey for one?  I feel confident we could draft a capable replacement for Jenkins at 36 or 59 this year. Lots of talent that could fill the void. That along with the opportunity to draft a stud DT aka Barrymore or ILB/OLB like Collins is worth that chance for me. We need differences makers at those positions in this. We defense. 

Knowing what your getting with Jenkins, do you think you would tease 28 and 36 to GET him?  No way I would make that trade.