2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Just to toss it out there, but how to people feel about bringing Lane Taylor back. I know we commonly joke about guys taking "vet min" deals, but he feels like the kind of guy who actually fits that criteria. 

Is there a way to fit him in the lineup in a way that can free up some money by releasing either Wagner or Turner?

Couple of separate things there.

I'd absolutely offer a vet minimum deal to Lane Taylor.  And you do that after you've re-done some deals, and after the first 3-4 waves of free agency are done.  If he is still there, yah, you do that.  I don't care that Runyan and Stepaniak are already signed.  Lane Taylor has proven that he can start in the league and play well.

Now...am I getting rid of Wagner and/or Turner for him?  Absolutely not.  Those are two valuable guys to have.

I get that Wagner is a luxury to have.  I'd try to keep that luxury if at all possible.  I'd even see if he wants another year on his deal and lower his cap number.

Turner gets too much hate on here.  He was very good at RT.  Flipped to LT when we needed it and played well.  Sure Tampa got him a few times, but he wasn't humiliated like the Chiefs guys were.  Turner is a valuable guy to have.  RT, LT, RG.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

IF the cap goes up, I would cut Preston and use that cash to get this guy in the door. We were linked with him pre-trade deadline 

Yea, probably the wise move to redistribute Preston's cash to someone inside. Lowry's $3-4m cap savings could help too. Depth becomes a major issue at EDGE but we can hit that in the draft hopefully. A starting unit upfront of Gary-Keke-Clark-Tomlinson-Z would be nice. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd absolutely offer a vet minimum deal to Lane Taylor.  And you do that after you've re-done some deals, and after the first 3-4 waves of free agency are done.  If he is still there, yah, you do that.  I don't care that Runyan and Stepaniak are already signed.  Lane Taylor has proven that he can start in the league and play well.

I'm not sure there's a reason to have a deal done until you're a few weeks into camp.  Realistically speaking, how big can his market really be?  He's a 31 year old, pure OG coming off back-to-back season-ending injuries.  There's really no market for a guy like that.  If you get into camp, and your young guards aren't playing well then the discussion starts to happen.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Now...am I getting rid of Wagner and/or Turner for him?  Absolutely not.  Those are two valuable guys to have.

I get that Wagner is a luxury to have.  I'd try to keep that luxury if at all possible.  I'd even see if he wants another year on his deal and lower his cap number.

Turner gets too much hate on here.  He was very good at RT.  Flipped to LT when we needed it and played well.  Sure Tampa got him a few times, but he wasn't humiliated like the Chiefs guys were.  Turner is a valuable guy to have.  RT, LT, RG.

I'm not sure that Wagner is a luxury.  Until he proves otherwise, you have to assume that Bakh won't be ready to start the year, so if you're counting on OL who do you think is able to start.  You've got 3 guys who are ready to play right away: Elgton Jenkins (LG/C/RG/RT), Lucas Patrick (LG/C/RG), and Billy Turner (LT/LG/RG/RT).  At best, you've filled your interior OL but your two tackle positions are giant holes.  Maybe you think one of Stepaniak or Runyan can slide into one of the OG spots, and then you move Billy Turner to OT.  You still have one OT that needs to be filled.  You're either going to go out in FA and sign someone or you're drafting someone with the hope they can fill the position until Bakh returns.  The latter seems more likely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, probably the wise move to redistribute Preston's cash to someone inside. Lowry's $3-4m cap savings could help too. Depth becomes a major issue at EDGE but we can hit that in the draft hopefully. A starting unit upfront of Gary-Keke-Clark-Tomlinson-Z would be nice. 

Does anyone remember the last time the Packers drafted an EDGE who was good as a rookie outside of Clay Matthews?  EDGE aren't Day 1 players.  You're drafting them a year from now.  You're more likely to get Rashan Gary of his rookie year then sophomore year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Does anyone remember the last time the Packers drafted an EDGE who was good as a rookie outside of Clay Matthews?  EDGE aren't Day 1 players.  You're drafting them a year from now.  You're more likely to get Rashan Gary of his rookie year then sophomore year.

I mean, you don't need high production there assuming Gary/Z stay healthy. But right now our EDGE room behind those guys and Preston sucks.

Just now, packfanfb said:

I mean, you don't need high production there assuming Gary/Z stay healthy. But right now our EDGE room behind those guys and Preston sucks.

I wouldn't disagree.  But unless you're paying for an EDGE in FA (which almost ALWAYS get overpaid), you're probably going to struggle to get production from a rookie.  You need someone who is competent.  You don't need a world beater as EDGE3, but you need someone to not be a liability.

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

I can't pretend to know a lot about Tomlinson but seems he is regarded somewhat well especially with us having interest at the deadline. My main hope for the off-season is that we sign a free agent and still draft a defensive lineman early to revamp our line around Clark with Keke rotating in. I would assume we would have to make some moves to afford a guy at 8 million a year(estimated) and would Packer fans be happy about Tomlinson at that price range?

Edited by Victor1124

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Man I'm so disappointed now. Me and a lot of posters on here wanted Barrett in FA, but they went with Preston. The Buc's stuck gold with that FA signing.

2 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I can't pretend to know a lot about Tomlinson but seems he is regarded somewhat well especially with us having interest at the deadline. My main hope for the off-season is that we sign a free agent and still draft a defensive lineman early to revamp our line around Clark with Keke rotating in. I would assume we would have to make some moves to afford a guy at 8 million a year(estimated) and would Packer fans be happy about Tomlinson at that price range?

Dude anything to move on from Dean got blown 7 yards off the line of scrimmage Lowry.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I know it sucks to cut him but can he be retained at his current price?  We don't have the luxury too pay a mediocre player like he's a star simply because he plays on the edge.  Preston Smith was not a very good football player this last year and he's schedule to be paid like a difference maker.  Our cap situation is going to force us to make cuts.  

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't disagree.  But unless you're paying for an EDGE in FA (which almost ALWAYS get overpaid), you're probably going to struggle to get production from a rookie.  You need someone who is competent.  You don't need a world beater as EDGE3, but you need someone to not be a liability.

Agreed. I think you can get equal production at a cheaper rate than what we are giving Preston and at the same time open up some cap space to redistribute to other areas of need in the team e.g DLine. 

Aaron Lynch
Tarrell Basham
Samson Ebukan 
Pernell McPhee
Bark Mingo
Eric Wilson
etc...

Preston Smith will be the 5th highest paid player on our roster in 2021 with 8.48% of the cap allocated to a third pass rusher is a luxury in my book. Who did the Bucs have behind Barrett and JPP that produced significantly from the OLB spot? 

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure there's a reason to have a deal done until you're a few weeks into camp.  Realistically speaking, how big can his market really be?  He's a 31 year old, pure OG coming off back-to-back season-ending injuries.  There's really no market for a guy like that.  If you get into camp, and your young guards aren't playing well then the discussion starts to happen.

I'm not sure that Wagner is a luxury.  Until he proves otherwise, you have to assume that Bakh won't be ready to start the year, so if you're counting on OL who do you think is able to start.  You've got 3 guys who are ready to play right away: Elgton Jenkins (LG/C/RG/RT), Lucas Patrick (LG/C/RG), and Billy Turner (LT/LG/RG/RT).  At best, you've filled your interior OL but your two tackle positions are giant holes.  Maybe you think one of Stepaniak or Runyan can slide into one of the OG spots, and then you move Billy Turner to OT.  You still have one OT that needs to be filled.  You're either going to go out in FA and sign someone or you're drafting someone with the hope they can fill the position until Bakh returns.  The latter seems more likely.

Finally....someone said it. Dude's toast as far as I'm concerned, but yes you bring him in if the young-uns are doing poorly. If anything, I'd try to bring him back as a coach at some point. After all, he was an UDFA who clawed his way up the depth chart and became a solid, reliable starter.

I also have to agree with you on Wagner. He's solid depth, but only depth at this point. There were plenty of opportunities for him to start at various points in the season and the coaches chose not to start him. Why is that? Plus, with Turner and Jenkins, the luxury is that you can stick either of them at T with Patrick and Runyan manning the Guard positions. We keep forgetting how deep we are at IOL. Plus, we have Braden, Hanson, and Zack Johnson who will most likely get a full training camp with a couple preseason games, which should answer any questions we have about them TBH.

9 hours ago, SSG said:

I agree with most of this.  I'm not sure I'm interested in him for 3 years given his maddening inconsistencies but I'd be ok with him as a stop gap.  

Even with his disgusting play in the NFCC game I'm not sure his contract is going to be that small though.  He's still really young and he played really well in 19-20.

You are probably right.  I forgot how many games he has missed in his career too.  I thought for sure that he was good for 10 games, bad for 3 and injured for 3 more.  Well, he only played in 13 games once so far in his career.  Perhaps both King and the Packers stick with the devil they know for a year and hopefully King earns a big contract and a better comp pick.

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

9 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

IF the cap goes up, I would cut Preston and use that cash to get this guy in the door. We were linked with him pre-trade deadline 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Logically, it would make sense given that the Packers were interested in him at the deadline.

I'm glad that between him and Snacks, Gutey is seeming to be making an effort to improve the interior DL. I think its looking like it will be a point of emphasis for him this offseason.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm glad that between him and Snacks, Gutey is seeming to be making an effort to improve the interior DL. I think its looking like it will be a point of emphasis for him this offseason.

No premium picks. A guy we DIDN'T acquire. And a vet minimum guy who barely played? 

That's making a commitment to improving the IDL?