2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Watt has 1 maybe 2 more seasons left in him and he’s no where near the play he once was. If he wants to come here at a discount and we can fit him in without having the cut anyone then make it happen but if he wants to get paid then he can find another team to play for. He waited way too long to want out of Houston. 

7 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Watt has 1 maybe 2 more seasons left in him and he’s no where near the play he once was. If he wants to come here at a discount and we can fit him in without having the cut anyone then make it happen but if he wants to get paid then he can find another team to play for. He waited way too long to want out of Houston. 

The injury history is concerning if that's what you're referring to. He's only 31 (about to be 32 in a month), so I don't think age comes into the picture yet, especially for a guy who has always been a genetic/athletic freak. 

On another note, the point of signing Watt wouldn't be to have him for 4-6 years. You're specifically signing him for that 1 to 2 years "left in him." 

I think Watt is still very good, impactful, when he's playing and reasonably healthy.  (But what do I know).  The Packers have no guarantee to repeat their level of success of these last two years, or two exceed it.  They're going to need to catch some breaks.  I think replacing Lowry with Watt would be a chance-to-work gamble well worth taking, if the price was reasonable.  Would love to have him, and have him get a shot.  

Tampa's defensive front dominated the Packers excellent o-line, and demolished the Chief's fragile o-line.  Our defensive front created negligible pressure on Brady.  I don't think Watt is necessarily washed.  Would love to have him, for what he is now.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Don’t both his brothers play for Pitt? Gonna be hard to convince him to not Join them

Not that hard... Pittsburgh is another season away from being Houston. That team is very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. If he wants stable he needs to look elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

I think Watt is still very good, impactful, when he's playing and reasonably healthy.  (But what do I know).  The Packers have no guarantee to repeat their level of success of these last two years, or two exceed it.  They're going to need to catch some breaks.  I think replacing Lowry with Watt would be a chance-to-work gamble well worth taking, if the price was reasonable.  Would love to have him, and have him get a shot.  

Tampa's defensive front dominated the Packers excellent o-line, and demolished the Chief's fragile o-line.  Our defensive front created negligible pressure on Brady.  I don't think Watt is necessarily washed.  Would love to have him, for what he is now.  

I don’t know that we can say TB dominated the Packers “excellent offensive line” we weren’t the same OL without Bakh in the fold. 

However, if you’re getting Watt it’s for that leadership on that side of the ball AND those 1-2 possible good years he has left in him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yup, we're 25 mil over the cap dude, remember? I'm not cutting half the team to sign the corpse of JJ Watt who probably has a year or two left. 

He's either ring chasing or he can play elsewhere.

Hey bro listen to the whisper, JJ, JJ, JJ.

1 hour ago, Cheesehead430 said:

I remember another expensive, aging DL with injury issues coming to the Pack and putting us over the hump in the 90's... do you? 

JJ Watt isn't going to make the impact of P. Smith and Lowry???? You gotta be kidding me. 

JJ aint what he was but he's an awesome locker room presence and still a force on the field. If he wants to come to GB... You go get him. 

I mean. We’ve actually down this multiple times with success. White. Woodson. Peppers. 

2 of them helped us win Super Bowls, the other, well, 2016 happened...

• Like 1

Every team is in this cap situation and there’s a lot of money to be saved simply by restructuring/extending the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Adams, Bakh, Z Smith, Amos etc and then there’s money to be had on Paycuts/Releases Of Preston Smith, Kirksey etc

And by the looks of it we will be about $15-20 mil over the cap without any of these moves happening. It isn’t settling at $175 mil - No way that happens.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Every team is in this cap situation and there’s a lot of money to be saved simply by restructuring/extending the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Adams, Bakh, Z Smith, Amos etc and then there’s money to be had on Paycuts/Releases Of Preston Smith, Kirksey etc

And by the looks of it we will be about $15-20 mil over the cap without any of these moves happening. It isn’t settling at $175 mil - No way that happens.

Yea, I mean I know that "salary cap" is the new favorite comeback for anyone who is typically not interested in the Packers using FA (or basically any roster building method other than the draft)...but, if the Packers don't sign Watt (which I'm fine with either way), it will have very little, if anything to do with their current cap situation. 

If they want Watt, they'll sign Watt and figure out the rest, it's that simple. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Lol, I mean, you're offering him less than Dean Lowry money? 

We signed Peppers to a 3 year, $26m deal when he was in his mid-30s. Didn't have the injury history Watt has, but you're probably looking at something similar to get Watt, preferably back loaded with a small cap number in 2021. 

Why are using an overpaid DL as the barometer?  Julius Peppers was coming off a 7 sack season and played in 16 games in all five of his seasons in Chicago.  J.J. Watt is coming off a 5 sack season and averaged 9.6 GP over the last five years.  The similarities aren't even close here.  You're probably looking at a cap structure similar to how the Packers structured Christian Kirksey although probably a bigger second year jump.