2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Every team is in this cap situation and there’s a lot of money to be saved simply by restructuring/extending the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Adams, Bakh, Z Smith, Amos etc and then there’s money to be had on Paycuts/Releases Of Preston Smith, Kirksey etc

And by the looks of it we will be about $15-20 mil over the cap without any of these moves happening. It isn’t settling at $175 mil - No way that happens.

The problem is the Packers have NEVER been a "kick the can down the road" since Ted Thompson took over.  While the Packers could create more cap space, it's far more likely they extend and lower the cap hits of guys like Davante Adams, Za'Darius Smith, etc. then it is by restructuring guys like Aaron Rodgers.  Unless they've suddenly had the decision to move on from Love and recommit to Aaron Rodgers, I don't see a restructure happening with him.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why are using an overpaid DL as the barometer?  Julius Peppers was coming off a 7 sack season and played in 16 games in all five of his seasons in Chicago.  J.J. Watt is coming off a 5 sack season and averaged 9.6 GP over the last five years.  The similarities aren't even close here.  You're probably looking at a cap structure similar to how the Packers structured Christian Kirksey although probably a bigger second year jump.

Other than the injury history, they're very similar in terms of players who were maybe starting to trend down, looking for a new opportunity, and in fact Peppers was 2-3 years older than Watt. Moreover Watt played full seasons in 2020 and 2018. A little different than Kirksey who was coming off playing 9 games in 2018-19 combined. 

I'm not saying discount the injury history, but I doubt it impacts the contract as much as you're thinking. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is the Packers have NEVER been a "kick the can down the road" since Ted Thompson took over.  While the Packers could create more cap space, it's far more likely they extend and lower the cap hits of guys like Davante Adams, Za'Darius Smith, etc. then it is by restructuring guys like Aaron Rodgers.  Unless they've suddenly had the decision to move on from Love and recommit to Aaron Rodgers, I don't see a restructure happening with him.

I think that’s all fair in typical years but in a year where Gute has came out and said they’re willing to create cap by pushing it into the future and openly talking about the deals that could be had due to the league wide problem with the cap - I think it’s safe to say we’re in a different time 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Gute knows what's up. I'm sure he thinks about a 2 year go for it option. I'm sure TT never did. The question is, will he entertain it ? Because that's what it's gonna take. Find 2 or 3 Xavier Rhodes type guys and nail the draft. 

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I think that’s all fair in typical years but in a year where Gute has came out and said they’re willing to create cap by pushing it into the future and openly talking about the deals that could be had due to the league wide problem with the cap - I think it’s safe to say we’re in a different time 

Keep in mind please that I’m not saying this will all happen in an effort to get JJ here in Green Bay. However, I do think they kick enough cap into the future through restructures and create enough cap through cuts to be players in Free Agency this year. Probably not first wave players, but certainly second wave.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Other than the injury history, they're very similar in terms of players who were maybe starting to trend down, looking for a new opportunity, and in fact Peppers was 2-3 years older than Watt. Moreover Watt played full seasons in 2020 and 2018. A little different than Kirksey who was coming off playing 9 games in 2018-19 combined. 

I'm not saying discount the injury history, but I doubt it impacts the contract as much as you're thinking. 

Then he'll be playing elsewhere next year.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The way you shrugged off that injury history is astounding.  A LARGE chunk of value comes from availability and that hasn't been Watt's strong suit.  Does it give you optimism that he might be able to stay healthy moving forward?  Sure, but you're not throwing it out because it fits your argument.

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

But the problem is this year the cap is doing something we haven't seen do in a LONG time assuming the reports are true.  The cap is going backwards.  Contracts are going to be backloaded more and structured very precisely.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the cap has never gone down, and Ted was never coming off back to back championship games with an aging Rodgers.

it’s not out of the realm of possibilities for them to restructure and push cap. I’m sure if they did it won’t be like how some teams do either. It will likely be the most boring finically responsible gambling in league history.

They are likely looking at a move or two. Pushing restructuring on safe bet players like a Rodgers or at this point a Z... doesnt seem like it’s going to kill them.

Just now, CWood21 said:

The way you shrugged off that injury history is astounding.  A LARGE chunk of value comes from availability and that hasn't been Watt's strong suit.  Does it give you optimism that he might be able to stay healthy moving forward?  Sure, but you're not throwing it out because it fits your argument.

I'm not even arguing. It would be cool to sign Watt, and I'd love to have the guy over Lowry but you're not going to pay them roughly the same amount of money when one is a much better player, injury history or no injury history. 

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

And the cap has never gone down, and Ted was never coming off back to back championship games with an aging Rodgers.

it’s not out of the realm of possibilities for them to restructure and push cap. I’m sure if they did it won’t be like how some teams do either. It will likely be the most boring finically responsible gambling in league history.

They are likely looking at a move or two. Pushing restructuring on safe bet players like a Rodgers or at this point a Z... doesnt seem like it’s going to kill them.

Then you don't draft Jordan Love.  The Love selection was picked with the future of Aaron Rodgers' in Gute's head.  They knew Rodgers was still able to play at an elite level.  He's from the same line of TT.  He's not going to mortgage the future especially in a cap sunk year.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not even arguing. It would be cool to sign Watt, and I'd love to have the guy over Lowry but you're not going to pay them roughly the same amount of money when one is a much better player, injury history or no injury history. 

Again, it's not even an adequate comparison you're trying to make.  Dean Lowry was 25 years old coming off back-to-back 16 GP season where the salary cap $189M and projected to go up.  We're coming off a $198M salary cap and projected to go down by $10M+.  There's really not a logical argument that says that because we overpaid Lowry that Watt deserves more.  Lowry shouldn't even be part of this equation.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Then you don't draft Jordan Love.  The Love selection was picked with the future of Aaron Rodgers' in Gute's head.  They knew Rodgers was still able to play at an elite level.  He's from the same line of TT.  He's not going to mortgage the future especially in a cap sunk year.

You can't compare this year in any capacity to other years, both in the real world, and sports world. The Packers weren't planning for a drop in cap when they drafted Love.