2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But the problem is this year the cap is doing something we haven't seen do in a LONG time assuming the reports are true.  The cap is going backwards.  Contracts are going to be backloaded more and structured very precisely.

I can see the reason behind your thought process here. Everything you’re saying makes a ton of sense. However, I can also see the other side of the perspective. 

The fact of the matter is, it’s a very real possibility that either side of this argument comes into existence. It’s uncharted territory for everyone in the league and is going to create probably the most exciting offseason we’ve seen since the CBA lockout.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You can't compare this year in any capacity to other years, both in the real world, and sports world. The Packers weren't planning for a drop in cap when they drafted Love.

They knew it was a real possibility.  The NFL and NFLPA agreed to make sure that the salary cap wouldn't go lower than $175M.  If the Packers didn't embrace the idea the salary cap was going down, then I worry about our leadership.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Then you don't draft Jordan Love.  The Love selection was picked with the future of Aaron Rodgers' in Gute's head.  They knew Rodgers was still able to play at an elite level.  He's from the same line of TT.  He's not going to mortgage the future especially in a cap sunk year.

Sure you do... if love was the best player. Remember... Gute was under Wolf first and they would draft and flip QBs. Not saying Gute is doing that with Love but it is a possibility.

The fact is I believe if a restructuring occurs they would buy Rodgers another year or two guaranteed in GB. Currently he only has 1, 2021. So that mean Love at the earliest comes in his 3rd year to start.

I could see a situation where a restructuring pushes him not starting until his 4th year. It’s not out of the question.

The wildcard would be Jordan and him itching to play.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

The fact of the matter is, it’s a very real possibility that either side of this argument comes into existence. It’s uncharted territory for everyone in the league and is going to create probably the most exciting offseason we’ve seen since the CBA lockout.

LIS, I still think this whole thing is a negotiating tactic for both sides.  Neither side benefits from the cap dropping.  It's better to smother up this cap drop from future years especially with the ability to negotiate future TV contracts coming soon.

Just now, CWood21 said:

They knew it was a real possibility.  The NFL and NFLPA agreed to make sure that the salary cap wouldn't go lower than $175M.  If the Packers didn't embrace the idea the salary cap was going down, then I worry about our leadership.

Well then I don't think your argument makes sense? How do we get down to that number and not mortgage the future outside of cutting Smith, Wagner, Kirksey, Lowry and not re-signing Jones, King, Linsley? 

So you're saying the management would rather wave the white flag on 2021 than bend their rules in very extenuating circumstances? I don't think you're right about that.

Well then I don't think your argument makes sense? How do we get down to that number and not mortgage the future outside of cutting Smith, Wagner, Kirksey, Lowry and not re-signing Jones, King, Linsley? 

So you're saying the management would rather wave the white flag on 2021 than bend their rules in very extenuating circumstances? I don't think you're right about that.

I don't think the Packers view their defense as being that far away.  And quite frankly, I'm not sure I would disagree with them on that viewpoint.  I think they're a DL and figuring out what to do with Kevin King from being a top 10 defense.  Oh, and the most important is finding a DC who knows how to utilize their players to their strengths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Not that hard... Pittsburgh is another season away from being Houston. That team is very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. If he wants stable he needs to look elsewhere.

No one's saying which team has better long term prospects. The fact remains his two brothers play there and it would weigh into this decision.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think the Packers view their defense as being that far away.  And quite frankly, I'm not sure I would disagree with them on that viewpoint.  I think they're a DL and figuring out what to do with Kevin King from being a top 10 defense.  Oh, and the most important is finding a DC who knows how to utilize their players to their strengths.

I'd agree, unless we have to cut a bunch of guys and not afford a FA CB because we didn't push money off into the future like you're suggesting we won't.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Still too many lunch pail guys. 

I'd agree, unless we have to cut a bunch of guys and not afford a FA CB because we didn't push money off into the future like you're suggesting we won't.

As I've said from the beginning, I think Kevin King is going to be re-signed.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's he's from Wisconsin?  Yeah, I would say that.  That he's going to be a Packer?  No.

You think he's stupid? Wears a Wisconsin shirt every day? Obviously he knew it would be taken as a sign to his home state and the Packers as a possibility.

Also, I didn't Didn't say he was going " to be a Packer". y I meant a desire of his to Play for the Packers. That docent mean it's going to happen or that Gutey is even interested but everyone knows they're on his short list of teams he'd like to play for.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

No one's saying which team has better long term prospects. The fact remains his two brothers play there and it would weigh into this decision.

Oh I agree... I’m just saying it depends on what Watts goals are. If he is ring chasing, I wouldn’t do that in Pitt.

You go to Pitt if you just want to have fun with your brothers while playing football.

I could see that if he had his money and a ring.  Him talking to Watson after the last game of the year makes me feel like he isn’t about just doing this for laughs and jokes with his brothers. He can do that the rest of his life after football.

Could be wrong... or Watt could overestimate Pitts chances at a SB too.

Edited by Green19

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You think he's stupid? Wears a Wisconsin shirt every day? Obviously he knew it would be taken as a sign to his home state and the Packers as a possibility.

Also, I didn't Didn't say he was going " to be a Packer". y I meant a desire of his to Play for the Packers. That docent mean it's going to happen or that Gutey is even interested but everyone knows they're on his short list of teams he'd like to play for.

Believe it or not professional athletes wear their alma maters merch pretty frequently. There’s no chance JJ is winking at you by wearing it.