2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

49 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Why do so many people believe PFT when they report 180mil cap. But they don't believe PFT when they put dumb articles up about Rodgers? 

Seems to many folks on here are jumping to conclusions about cap space when they are still posturing. The teams that are contenders and up against cap will want to keep it flat. The ones that have room may want it down but will be stuck to for their FA spends to a degree. 

Common sense should prevail here and likely be much closer to the current cap that these stupid bloggers report. 

The cap is a percentage of league revenue, league revenue has crashed so it 'should' be 175m.  Like you say there a lot of people who will want it flat. Nobody knows we are all just guessing - if Packers did offer deals to AJ though it suggests it could be at the higher end.

Until you hear otherwise you have to assume its going to be 175m which is what it 'should' be.  

If you have a budget of between 50m and 100m then you aren't going to commit to spending 60m till you know you definitely have it. That should be attitude Packers are taking for the purposes of FA. For the purposes of mock drafts it doesn't really matter though. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

As I've said from the beginning, I think Kevin King is going to be re-signed.

Have so many concerns about that.  Watt and King have just about the same injury record for not playing games?  Don't pay Watt for to much but overpay on King?  King just soured the hell out of me in his last game .. can't get over that.

34 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

The moves I used are what I look at as players the Packers should have np extending to create cap space for GB, these are your players that project to be on this team for awhile - Then you still have the flexibility to do what you want with Preston Smith to create even more cap space, if the team desires. 

The fact is, there's cap out there to be had in GB and plenty of it. 

I guess it depends how far you want to plan ahead for.

If we make the kind of moves people are suggesting we are going to be looking at having a lot of guys on very big 3rd contracts. These are going to be old (for NFL) players who might be declining, will certainly be more likely to get more injuries and will be carrying heavy dead money if you cut them.

This works for having a run at the title in 2021 and maybe 2022 but probably leaves the cap in an almighty mess beyond that. I'm fine with that but..

There's no easy fix here or obvious right answer. These moves make us more competitive in 2021 but less competitive after that. I do think that if the cap is closer to flat that people think, you just go young in 2021,  cut a few more guys.  It depends a lot on whether they want to keep the option of moving forward with Love in 22 or 23. Restructuring Rodgers probably ends that and if you do go forward with Love you probably need to support him which wont be the case if your in cap hell.

It won’t factor into it at all but finding a way to sign Watt would be a huge PR boost for the team after the Barry hiring.  I remember the excitement of signing Reggie and how transformative it was for this franchise but JJ is currently nowhere near the monster White still was when he signed. 

Question in regards to Snacks - didn't really see a ton of him in the playoffs, maybe a few plays in the NFCCG, and I at least just didn't pay attention to him in the midst of my pain & suffering 

1) How did he look? Did he play a lot of snaps? Just googled snap counts and he played 16 snaps vs TB, 4 more than Tyler Lancaster but much less than Dean Lowry

2) Did we just sign him to a contract for a few weeks / remainder of postseason? Do you think we will consider bringing him back for DL depth + hopefully he gets in better shape and can contribute to our improved run D alongside Kenny Clark + Tomlinson or Watt 

Sidebar - I feel if Barry impresses (not counting on this) and coaches our D up, we have many of the pieces needed for a top 5 defense. I'd like to see us cut Kirksey to save $ and add another ILB in draft or FA but I like what I saw with Barnes & Martin, to the point where I don't think this is the top priority anymore.

If we add a DL or 2 in FA / draft (I really hope we focus on DL & CB2 over ILB & WR) + maybe retain Harrison for cheap (unless he looks totally washed) I could see our D being top 3 or 5 if Barry proves competent at DC, but maybe I'm alone on this

-------------

My dream offseason would be adding 2 DL, a veteran CB2, an ILB between our day 1/2 picks and free agency. Something like

1) Tomlinson or Watt, Leonard Williams if he doesn't cost a trillionzillion yen

2) Barmore, Nixon, or at least Jay Tufele or similar Day 2 prospect (if one of these guys is a fit in our scheme, this I'm unsure of)

3) William Jackson III (is he even good?) or **** Sherman (Imagine Dicky Sherm and JJ Watt to GB for a few last shots at all the glory?!) or Desmond King (should we even risk it since he could be distantly related to one Kevin King) or Jaycee Horn / some Day 1 CB who looks pro-ready

4) Nick Bolton! or Zaven Collins...whoever drops further I suppose (and lose that Kirksey fella too!!)

Give me JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Nick Bolton, Daviyon Nixon and put the kaibosh to whoever you gotta put the kaibosh to in order to make this happen (I'm lookin at yewwww Kirksey/Preston/Lowry/Rikki Lagner!!)

Edited by StartBarr

Slightly aroused thinking of the possibilities if Barry is not who I think he is and ends up killin life as our D coordinator and we make some major roster changes (cut Wagner, Lowry, Kirksey, Preston Smith)........

Kenny Clark / JJ Watt / Kingsley Keke / Daviyon Nixon / Damon Harrison

Zadarius Smith / Rashaan Gary / low cost offseason addition / Jonathan Garvin / Randy Ramsey

Krys Barnes / Nick Bolton / Kamal Martin / Ty Summers

Jaire Alexander / Richard Sherman / Chandon Sullivan / Josh Jackson

Adrian Amos / Darnell Savage / Raven Greene

OH LAWD THAT COULD BE GOOD

Edited by StartBarr

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tomlinson

Assuming we're in the 8-9m range I think Watt can garner, you're giving that to a run plug? Tomlinson is younger and a nice piece. In a normal year I'd be happy with that, but the guy doesn't really rush the passer.

Give me Watt at that price. I'm not paying anything over 5m for a guy who isn't at less useful in sub packages.

• Like 2