2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

4 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Unless Watt is so enamored by the opportunity of playing for the Packers, his favorite team of his childhood, and so is willing to play for alot less than he could get from another team (say 8mil/year instead of 15mil/year), then even if we could clear the cap space, I don't think it is worth the risk, given his age, injury history. 

He won't be getting 15 million in MHO.  He will be looking for a ring with somebody ... $$$ he already has.  Hall of Fame he already has.  For basically a 2 year deal at 6-8 million, he IS worth the risk.  Less snaps for him and using him in the right time/situations would make this a pretty appealing situation.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

He won't be getting 15 million in MHO.  He will be looking for a ring with somebody ... $$$ he already has.  Hall of Fame he already has.  For basically a 2 year deal at 6-8 million, he IS worth the risk.  Less snaps for him and using him in the right time/situations would make this a pretty appealing situation.

Plus the dudes been double teamed religiously down after down. In Green Bay, will opponents be able to double him with Clark, Z, and Gary all lined up next to him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Vikings are about where we are cap wise, correct?  ~20ish over?

8.7 over is how I'm reading it.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

I don't think we are going to cut Reiff, but Rudolph, Bailey, Shamar Stephen and Maybe Anthony Barr are all gone. 

Minnesota has some decent depth, and we weren't terrible in the 2nd half of the year like we were the first, but we need to make moves before it gets all blown up.

• Like 1

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

8.7 over is how I'm reading it.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

I don't think we are going to cut Reiff, but Rudolph, Bailey, Shamar Stephen and Maybe Anthony Barr are all gone. 

Minnesota has some decent depth, and we weren't terrible in the 2nd half of the year like we were the first, but we need to make moves before it gets all blown up.

I must have been thinking Chicago.  I remember looking at all of the teams, and trying to get them to the cap of 175.  I didn't think the NFCN was too tough, though the Packers are going to have to cut a couple that we normally wouldn't and let a few good players walk that we also probably wouldn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I'd be a little less concerned about Watt's injury history, if he brings along a Reggie White/Tom Brady type of presence with him...The ability of also getting other quality free agents to jump on board....Those rewards go above and beyond just bringing a marquee player like him (Watt) into the fold....

Gute has already mentioned that he's on the lookout for "cheap" reliable vets that will be available due to salary cap cuts upcoming.  Totally agree Watt should come to GB along with 2-3 other fill in vets to fortify the team.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Gute has already mentioned that he's on the lookout for "cheap" reliable vets that will be available due to salary cap cuts upcoming.  Totally agree Watt should come to GB along with 2-3 other fill in vets to fortify the team.

Yeah .. it seems like the perfect fit in so many ways.  I'd be surprised if the Gute doesn't work pretty hard to make it happen.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I'm starting to think if Packers are going to sign Watt, it will mean cutting Preston Smith. Reason 1 is lowering his 2021 cap hit with an extension means giving more money to a guy who has productive seasons only about 50% of the time. Reason 2 is that if you have Watt and a healthy Keke, you don't need to use Z as an inside rusher as much as in the past. Having Z, P and Gary as a trio of edge rushers would be a luxury they can't afford right now. Using a day 2 or 3 pick on an edge rusher would then be a real possibility. 

18 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

I don't see JJ going anywhere for less than 10 mil per year on a 3 year deal

But how many teams that could be considered contenders in 2021 have the salary cap room to sign FAs like JJ?  If you look at this list only the Bucs, Browns, Ravens, Seattle and the 49ers do right now.  We'd have to do a lot of financial gymnastics to sign FAs like this. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

But how many teams that could be considered contenders in 2021 have the salary cap room to sign FAs like JJ?  If you look at this list only the Bucs, Browns, Ravens, Seattle and the 49ers do right now.  We'd have to do a lot of financial gymnastics to sign FAs like this. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Didn't look at the website but wondering even if they have cap room how many of their own upcoming free agents do they have to resign?  Many teams have some cap dollars but a ton of starters to let go or sign to big bucks.  Just having cap dollars gives them a chance but isn't the tell all.

• Like 1