2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Didn't look at the website but wondering even if they have cap room how many of their own upcoming free agents do they have to resign?  Many teams have some cap dollars but a ton of starters to let go or sign to big bucks.  Just having cap dollars gives them a chance but isn't the tell all.

Tampa Bay has some cap space but have a bunch of very good starters coming up in free agency that want to be paid.  

On 2/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, coachbuns said:

He won't be getting 15 million in MHO.  He will be looking for a ring with somebody ... $$$ he already has.  Hall of Fame he already has.  For basically a 2 year deal at 6-8 million, he IS worth the risk.  Less snaps for him and using him in the right time/situations would make this a pretty appealing situation.

Here is where you are wrong. JJ gives a lot of his money to his charities so no he will not play for league minimum because he does need the money, if for nothing else, his charity work. 

You pass on this player at this stage in his career unless you do indeed can sign him for real value without it hurting.

While I don't believe that would be as little as 3-4 million per year short term certainly not over 7-8 per year short term.  Cutting Preston Smith would cough up enough to make this a very feasible signing.  IF he comes through meds in flying color.

As much as I would love to bring JJ home I'm coming to grips with reality. No way he's taking less than 10M. Might as well use the money for cap  casualties. There's going to be some good talent cut due to the low cap. I'd just keep Smith and add Hicks when the Bears cut him.

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

Here is where you are wrong. JJ gives a lot of his money to his charities so no he will not play for league minimum because he does need the money, if for nothing else, his charity work. 

Not saying league minimum; 6-8 is not league minimum. If he wants to give it away great - if he wants a ring he may have to take the 6-8 million. His choice.

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

But how many teams that could be considered contenders in 2021 have the salary cap room to sign FAs like JJ?  If you look at this list only the Bucs, Browns, Ravens, Seattle and the 49ers do right now.  We'd have to do a lot of financial gymnastics to sign FAs like this. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

You can get Watt on a 3Y/30M and make his 2021 cap hit be 4M. So pretty much anyone can sign him (except maybe the Saints).

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's never about the money, but they always go to who offers the most money. 

This is true.

But, IF there were a player out there who would rather play for his hometown team and play at a discount, it is JJ Watt.  He is the one guy who could be the outlier when it comes to "SHOW ME THE MONEY"!

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is true.

But, IF there were a player out there who would rather play for his hometown team and play at a discount, it is JJ Watt.  He is the one guy who could be the outlier when it comes to "SHOW ME THE MONEY"!

Not so sure how real that hometown discount is. Have we ever really seen tangible evidence of that ??  Any more of a discount than he would give Tampa Bay vs NYJ ??  I kinda doubt it.

And the question still remains, is Watt the cure all. I'm not so sure.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is true.

My take on JJ Watt landing spot 

1.  Playoff caliber/ready roster

2.  Functionally run organization 

3.  Respectable money offer

4.  Sentimental sway

5.  Post career aspirations 

How much those 4 pieces are weighted in the process is anyone's guess.

Regarding 

1.  BUF, BAL,  PITT,  CLE, TEN, IND,  KC, GB, TB, LAR, SF, SEA.   Depending on trades/FA player movement..... DEN, MIA, LAC, ARI

2.  Most of the above.  Add NE.

3.  Look at cap space and ability to clear easily.

4.  GB =childhood team

Pitt= playing with brothers

Ten= respect for Vrabel

Watson possible landing spot

5.  LA markets