2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

News flash - you always draft based on need.

Watt being from WI has nothing to do with being good, but it has everything to do with fans not letting go. In 2015 alone, the Packers could have had Collins, McKinney, Kendricks, Clark, Lockett, Johnson, Hunter, Smith, Alexander, Diggs, just to name a few of the Pro Bowlers. How come no one talks about that ?? Because they aren't from WI

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB needed a backup QB during the 2020 draft?

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Don't get me started on that. And no, they didn't. But they needed a CB in 2015

So they always draft for need when it suits your narrative, but not when in doesn't?

Makes sense.

37 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So they always draft for need when it suits your narrative, but not when in doesn't?

Makes sense.

Seriously ? Narratives ? Obviously they perceived it as a need. What's your point ?? The Packers didn't take Watt. Neither did 29 other teams. Old news. They chose to upgrade Gunter instead of upgrading CMIII. Shocker. 

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Watt being from WI has nothing to do with being good, but it has everything to do with fans not letting go. In 2015 alone, the Packers could have had Collins, McKinney, Kendricks, Clark, Lockett, Johnson, Hunter, Smith, Alexander, Diggs, just to name a few of the Pro Bowlers. How come no one talks about that ?? Because they aren't from WI

Preach. So tired of hearing about him instead of anyone else ever. It's like he was the only other player in the draft

• Like 5

12 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When you draft based on need you get burned more often than not. 

Also, what does Watt being from UW have anything to do with him being one of the best defensive players in the NFL right now? 

First off, we can stop pretending like we drafted an UDFA with the 33rd overall pick.  I personally had Kevin King graded in a similar tier as T.J. Watt.  Personally, I liked Watt a bit more, but they were close enough as prospects.  Secondly, people are quick to forget that King was the prototypical CB specimen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

Yes.  And also no.  When people talk about drafting for need, you're usually talking about where you ignore the tiers and you reach for someone who isn't as good of value.  That isn't the case with Kevin King.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  And also no.  When people talk about drafting for need, you're usually talking about where you ignore the tiers and you reach for someone who isn't as good of value.  That isn't the case with Kevin King.

Just curious, if Kevin King was supposed to be that good and a can't miss prospect .. what happened to him?  Injuries, coaching, no football awareness?  Whatever it is/was ... I'm just not seeing the results when compared to Watt.

24 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Just curious, if Kevin King was supposed to be that good and a can't miss prospect .. what happened to him?  Injuries, coaching, no football awareness?  Whatever it is/was ... I'm just not seeing the results when compared to Watt.

He was much more of a raw talent. Guys with his size and combine numbers at the CB position don't last until pick 33 unless there's a reason. King wasn't a dominant college player. The Packers made that pick hoping King would become a better pro player with the underlying size/skills. There's always risk there. 

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Why are you comparing them to begin with ??  It makes no sense. There is nothing linking the two players. Why not compare him to Reuben Foster or David Njoku or Cam Robinson ??

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I'm assuming because he wasn't "can't miss".  Like TJ wasn't "can't miss" despite the revisionist history developed since that draft.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, moretti19 said:

I have never been a fan of King but his performance for all to see might allow us to retain him for cheap. If we could get him 1 year for 4-5 mil then yes.

I'm for moving on. In the 5 games that King missed with injury, the Packers pass defense did not suffer due to his absence. Only Deshaun Watson passed for more than 300 yards in those 5 games. Yes, I'm saying he was replaced by Josh Jackson with no discernable difference in the pass defense. The only way I'd bring him back would be if Barry is convinced that he can utilize King's talents in a better way than Pettine did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The Packers made that pick hoping King would become a better pro player with the underlying size/skills. There's always risk there. 

The Packers selected King because they were desperate at the position - and obviously thought he had the goods and could deliver. The micro-dissection of his skills not with standing - he was far from a bum. If he could have stayed healthy for longer stretches of time - he in essence filled the need.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

First off, we can stop pretending like we drafted an UDFA with the 33rd overall pick.  I personally had Kevin King graded in a similar tier as T.J. Watt.  Personally, I liked Watt a bit more, but they were close enough as prospects.  Secondly, people are quick to forget that King was the prototypical CB specimen.

I'm not Kevin King hype guy, but some people also act like he never played good football in his time in GB. That isn't true either. He had some solid play when he was healthy. Namely in 2019 with 5 Ints and a sack.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I mean, look at King's Combine numbers and tell me that isn't your prototypical CB specimen.  The ball skills weren't really there, as he had more PDs in his senior year then he did his first 3 years combined.  He also played in 3 different positions over the course of his last 3 years: boundary CB, nickel corner, and safety.  In terms of technique, he was relying on raw athleticism and he was a bit handsy as a CB prospect.  Neither him or Watt weren't "can't miss" prospects.  They were both good prospects with enough concerns.

20 hours ago, cannondale said:

Seriously ? Narratives ? Obviously they perceived it as a need. What's your point ?? The Packers didn't take Watt. Neither did 29 other teams. Old news. They chose to upgrade Gunter instead of upgrading CMIII. Shocker. 

Right. King was just as good of a CB prospect as Watt was an OLB prospect. Watt just panned out better. Kings not garbage, he belongs in the league, he’s just not a #1 corner.

Sometimes your just wrong on a guy.