2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

I'll be the guy to say it, I absolutely think King can be a #1 CB in the NFL, he's just a lot more scheme dependent.  He wasn't even bad this year; 488 yards and 1 TD on 57 attempts isn't back-breaking no matter how you try to spin it.  Here's a question: anyone think Watt has exactly the same numbers if he isn't playing on a defense with Tuitt/Heyward/Dupree that blitzes 40+% of the time?  This isn't a commentary on Watt; he's absolutely elite.  But your play is always going to be determined by what the defense asks of you and the help they give you.  Watt is an elite player on a defense that consistently gives him as good a match-ups as a player that good can get.  King is a solid player on a defense that consistently asks him to do what he's worst at with no help whatsoever.  They aren't going to have similar levels of performance.

• Like 3

I absolutely want King back if his true value next year is 3.5M on a one year deal.  No doubt about it.

Maybe he can be a #1 corner, or a very competent #2 corner to JA.  As said, all scheme dependent.  

But the kid needs to be healthier.

Guess I feel like this is one player who could go somewhere else, stay healthy, be in the right scheme and blow up into a very good corner.

Like, I'm more confident in him doing that than I was Heyward or Hyde (or Randall or Rollins).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Here we go. Didn't expect Wagner, especially not right now with Bakh on the shelf.

These moves clear about $9.86 million in cap space.

They gone gone, or brought back at a different deal? Namely, Wagner on a more friendly deal liek Hawk did back in the day?

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

I'll be the guy to say it, I absolutely think King can be a #1 CB in the NFL, he's just a lot more scheme dependent. 

King is a solid player on a defense that consistently asks him to do what he's worst at with no help whatsoever.  They aren't going to have similar levels of performance.

If a player is scheme dependent, they are not a CB1 and if they are CB1, you need to seriously consider upgrading the position. King on a $3.5 mil. deal would be A-ok with me; even a 3/$9 would be fine by me, but you know we're going to be selecting a CB high if the situation presents itself.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Why do you want Preston cut so bad? Restructure desirable imo.

I just don't see his role with the team if they sign Watt. Gary is ready to play a majority of the snaps. Yes, you need a 3rd EDGE guy but those guys aren't making any $$ on most teams. Can't pay Preston any decent amount of money to be the 3rd wheel. Moreover, I doubt he would accept that role anyways. 

I don't "want" him cut, but it seems like an obvious choice to me. If we don't sign Watt, I think the Packers will explore a restructured deal. 

• Like 1

Also surprised by the Wagner cut but sounds like he has his own plans.  Not a bad contract for an adequate tackle but we do need the space. The young guys will definitely be called upon I believe the order will be Jenkins, Nijman, Runyan, Braden and we will definitely be looking for a guy in the draft.

Edited by Refugee

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

If a player is scheme dependent, they are not a CB1 and if they are CB1, you need to seriously consider upgrading the position. King on a $3.5 mil. deal would be A-ok with me; even a 3/$9 would be fine by me, but you know we're going to be selecting a CB high if the situation presents itself.

Richard Sherman is a cb1 that is scheme dependent. Nnamdi Asomugha was a dominant cb1 that is scheme dependent.

• Like 2