2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

21 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Just curious, if Kevin King was supposed to be that good and a can't miss prospect .. what happened to him?  Injuries, coaching, no football awareness?  Whatever it is/was ... I'm just not seeing the results when compared to Watt.

We aren't talking about top 5 picks here.  Pretty much the entire league took a RD1 pass on Watt.  Neither was a can't miss prospect.  While I was bummed they passed on Watt, it wasn't because I thought selecting King was a terrible decision.

10 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

That's the thing though, I don't think anyone is expecting him to remain on this team at that price. The argument here isn't whether we should keep him at that price, it's whether we should cut him out right or look to get that cap hit/pay down. Everyone automatically jumps to the conclusion that he should be cut, but he's a valuable piece of this defense even at 50% of the snaps and provides us valuable depth IF you can get that price down. 

Sure, if he agrees to a straight pay cut, I'd love it. A restructure? Maybe. You're still paying the guy a lot of money for likely a reduced role. Again, if we were $30m under the cap, I'd be all for it. We just have to be very careful on how we use our resources. Now, if we go another off-season without addressing the DL, then I'm keeping Preston no matter what. 

Also, King is a pretty solid CB. If the cap wasn't going down this year, I'd bet on him getting a second contract, and it's still possible they figure out a way to make it happen. He's had some injuries, and that's slowed his development, but he's not a bust or awful CB or anything like that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Like AG20 said, you need to get the 16m out of your head. Its meaningless. We have to pay 8m of it. The only question is whether he is worth 8m.

Sure if you use a Post June designation, you can kick 4m down the road into the 2022 cap but you don't save 12m.  

The equation is this:

2021 = $16m for a limited production for your 3rd rusher
2022 = $4m dead cap (if you cut him after a second successive season of a lacklustre performance) 

= $20m is the cost to keep an average rusher for one more season

Vs.
2021 = $4m (dead cap) + whatever it cost to replace his snaps i.e draft pick or FA 
2022 = $4m (dead cap)

= $8m commitment split over two seasons, which is important in a cap strapped climate and also in the equation of dollars vs production

The question comes down to then do you reckon Preston will have a bounce back season on more limited snaps if Gary takes over? The only real value of P.Smith is an insurance policy for injury and $20m is an expensive insurance policy.

Edited by Brit Pack
19 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If they were going to cut P. Smith wouldn't they have done so when they cut Wagner and Kirksey?

They may still cut him outright. They may try to restructure his deal. Some discussions can't be had until the cap is set. The Packers are in no hurry, even though fans are.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Leader said:

Folks are really eager to get rid of Preston Smith.....as if our rush package is really deep and talented.

Smith goes....we're one injury away from lousy.

Agree. Find a way to give him a few more years and guarantee more money to make him more affordable. Those guys don’t grow on trees. He did have a down year but I believe there still a lot of tread on those tires, especially if he and Gary switch roles. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Folks are really eager to get rid of Preston Smith.....as if our rush package is really deep and talented.

How many teams is this not true for?

Being three deep at EDGE is a luxury very few teams in the history of the league have had while paying their QB 36 million dollars against the cap. 

In a perfect world we keep Preston Smith and sign JJ Watt.  In the real world, we won't get either and we'll have to draft an OT to replace Wagner. 

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How many teams is this not true for?

Being three deep at EDGE is a luxury very few teams in the history of the league have had while paying their QB 36 million dollars against the cap. 

In a perfect world we keep Preston Smith and sign JJ Watt.  In the real world, we won't get either and we'll have to draft an OT to replace Wagner. 

Your equation left out the outlier that is the reduced cap caused by COVID.  Take that out of the mix and a whole lot of possibilities are back on the table.

Unless JJ gives us a "coming home" beyond the realm discount - that just ain't happening IMO. We just cut a handful of players and we're still 10M plus over the cap.

Russ Ball's gonna have to be really creative to jiggle all the numbers necessary to both get our own players in and under the cap - plus - add new talent. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the "expensive QB" complaint - he's been getting paid below his value for years. Eventually the bill comes due. He's gotten us to the NFCCG two years running and just won MVP. Quit complaining. Life's not as bad as you portray.

Edited by Leader
36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Your equation left out the outlier that is the reduced cap caused by COVID.  Take that out of the mix and a whole lot of possibilities are back on the table.

Unless JJ gives us a "coming home" beyond the realm discount - that just ain't happening IMO. We just cut a handful of players and we're still 10M plus over the cap.

Russ Ball's gonna have to be really creative to jiggle all the numbers necessary to both get our own players in and under the cap - plus - add new talent. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the "expensive QB" complaint - he's been getting paid below his value for years. Eventually the bill comes due. He's gotten us to the NFCCG two years running and just won MVP. Quit complaining. Life's not as bad as you portray.

Oh please.  Aaron Rodgers needs to stop the, “I’m underpaid,” bs.

He got top QB money each of his deals.  Guess what... Every time a QB gets paid more than any other, the others get paid more next.

Aaron Rodgers has never - EVER - been underpaid.

Not one single moment in his life.

If he’s too stubborn or too dumb to understand that’s how contracts in the NFL work, he shouldn’t be the next host of Jeopardy.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Don't think anyone is eager to drop Preston. But we've gone over this. If the Packers are forced to release more players, he's at the top of the list because of his salary and Gary's progression, even if you ignore the down year he just had. It's just that simple.

Maybe we can find a way to fudge the numbers and keep him, but not at the expense of addressing some other positions where we need starting talent (CB, DL for example).

5 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If they were going to cut P. Smith wouldn't they have done so when they cut Wagner and Kirksey?

If we are cutting him I would imagine the Packers would do it as June 1st cut so the saving this year is $12m. To do that he would have to be on the roster as of the first day of the league year. He is due a $4.5m roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

I would eat my bowler hat if P.Smith is playing in Green Bay in 2021. The logic for him to be cut is too overwhelming.

1) Cap hell for Green Bay

2) GM said he wants to shop a little in FA meaning they have to be significantly below the cap to do so, meaning players will be cut to make that happen

3) Emergence of Gary equates to a reduction of snaps for P.Smith

4) Way overpaying for production based on 2020 numbers, expect production to drop further with less snaps, as P.Smith's snaps will be taken by Gary

5) Split the dead cap hit of $8m equally over two years

6) No team in the NFL is paying their 3rd edge rusher $16m

Case closed!

14 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I would eat my bowler hat if P.Smith is playing in Green Bay in 2021. The logic for him to be cut is too overwhelming.

1) Cap hell for Green Bay

2) GM said he wants to shop a little in FA meaning they have to be significantly below the cap to do so, meaning players will be cut to make that happen

3) Emergence of Gary equates to a reduction of snaps for P.Smith

4) Way overpaying for production based on 2020 numbers, expect production to drop further with less snaps, as P.Smith's snaps will be taken by Gary

5) Split the dead cap hit of $8m equally over two years

6) No team in the NFL is paying their 3rd edge rusher $16m

Case closed!

Aren't you supposed to be asleep over there?

There are other ways to manage the cap. Adams needs to be extended, for example.