2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Aren't you supposed to be asleep over there?

There are other ways to manage the cap. Adams needs to be extended, for example. 

Early, just gone midnight

Things I would like to see happen to get under the cap and also to be able to spend a little:

1) Converting base salary to bonus for Z.Smith
2) Converting base salary to bonus for Amos
3) Converting base salary to bonus for Billy Turner
3) Extending Adams
4) Cutting Lowry
5) Cutting P.Smith

Already done Wagner and Kirksey. Was sad to see Kirksey go, I thought he came on towards the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh please.  Aaron Rodgers needs to stop the, “I’m underpaid,” bs.

He got top QB money each of his deals.  Guess what... Every time a QB gets paid more than any other, the others get paid more next.

Aaron Rodgers has never - EVER - been underpaid.

Not one single moment in his life.

If he’s too stubborn or too dumb to understand that’s how contracts in the NFL work, he shouldn’t be the next host of Jeopardy.

?  AR's not been putting forward any comment that he's been underpaid. Least, not that I've read.

The thrust of my comment was everything was moving along in fine "contractual progression" (in a manner of speaking....) till this COVID cap came along and threw a monkey wrench into everything.

Now (IMO) we need to bridge to the next stable / realistic cap (and salary foundation) without losing a ton of personnel - and - mortgaging our future in the process.

It is what it is. ARs contract was workable within our contract structures - till the COVID cap came along.  Now - we've just got to play the cards we're dealt as best we can.

That said - we're NOT in dire straights. We're one of the best run (and achieving) organizations in the entire NFL.

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I can’t hang my hat on best run franchises.

Sometimes to win the Super Bowl you have to risk the future.  Instead, we’re good on the future and risking always being almost good enough.

I can’t get behind that anymore.  

Fine. Not a point of arguement.
Forget the SF blowout.......but we've been "right there" too many times to count. 
A play here - a play there - all that it would have taken to change the outcomes.

In one way of looking at things......dems what they call the breaks.
In the other.....we've not made (or taken advantage of) our breaks.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

He got top QB money each of his deals.  Guess what... Every time a QB gets paid more than any other, the others get paid more next.

If he’s too stubborn or too dumb to understand that’s how contracts in the NFL work, he shouldn’t be the next host of Jeopardy.

Simply, flat out not true. 

Good article addressing a lot of points, including the myth that the Packers can't sign Watt or make another a big move. In the simplest terms "money isn't an issue."

I keep going back to Gute's statement he made about a month ago: “I think we’re going to have to do that this year, for sure,” Gutekunst said recently. “I think the situation our football team is in right now, we have one goal in mind. If there’s an opportunity to take some risk to help us win now, we’re certainly in that mode."

This makes me think GB is going to be more aggressive pushing money around to make some moves than most people here think. Either that or Gute is just full of ****. 

Edited by packfanfb

9 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If they were going to cut P. Smith wouldn't they have done so when they cut Wagner and Kirksey?

This would be my argument as well.  If Preston Smith was an obvious cap casualty, he would have been released already.  But they chose not to release him.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Has Rodgers EVER said he was underpaid?

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This makes me think GB is going to be more aggressive pushing money around to make some moves than most people here think. Either that or Gute is just full of ****. 

I mean, it's possible.  But if that were the case, they would have restructured Rodgers already.  That's the easiest path to clearing cap space.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This would be my argument as well.  If Preston Smith was an obvious cap casualty, he would have been released already.  But they chose not to release him.

IF cutting him he'll be a June 1st designation to spread the dead dap over two year. Preston needs to be on the roster for the 1st day of the league year for that to happen.

Think of the $12m from the Preston cut IF it happens as Gute's shopping money for FA this year. He'll have to get under the cap with other roster moves and then cut Preston and use that cash to go shopping with.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's possible.  But if that were the case, they would have restructured Rodgers already.  That's the easiest path to clearing cap space.

The Rodgers restructure is a bit tougher because of the Love dilemma. A large restructure to Rodgers doesn't just mean clearing cap/pushing cap for Rodgers' team in 2021, but it also basically forces the Packers to commit to Rodgers for an extra year or two past this season, thus basically wasting Love's entire rookie deal. 

I'm expecting a Rodgers restructure, but I think it's going to be an in-between type deal where the Packers save more like around $7-8m (from his roster bonus) versus $12-14m (I've seen examples of both ways they could do it). I think the former still leaves open the possibility that GB could trade Rodgers in a year or two. 

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't think he's an obvious choice because he has more value than Kirk/Wagner. I've said all along, if the Packers land Watt, I'm predicting Preston is gone by the next day. If we don't sign Watt (the more likely scenario), then I think the Packers probably try to restructure Preston instead.  

I believe that cutting Preston is our last option. And many moves will depend on the final cap number. By the way, borrowing from other years' cap (as Gute said) can perfectly be converting P5 salaries/roster bonuses to signing bonuses, it doesn't mean that we are buyers in FA.