2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

But the value of the tag dropped like 25 percent or something.  It's a bargain to bring back a top 5 type RB for 8 bills.

I think he's saying reluctance from an ethics/fairness to FAs perspective.  They haven't been a team willing to use the tag

25 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

It's possible this will be a free agency period with VERY depressed values.

There will be a lot of 1 year and 2 year deals, and a lot of guys who are gotten for bargains since there are so many teams up against or over the cap.

It's unlikely, but if the top of the market for edge rushers is around $12M/year instead of $20, that is the situation you can move on from Preston Smith.  There should be a better player available.

If Shaq Barrett and Leonard williams are only getting 12, then I don't see how someone like Ingram or Justin Houston would be getting more than 8.  Both would be an upgrade over Preston.

Values will be depressed a bit, but not sure if there will be many 1yr deals. It’s actually more difficult for teams to fit those under the cap than with multi-year deals. W/ multi-year, you can prorate signing bonuses to spread out cap hit and reduce yr-1 hit. Or have roster bonuses in future years to make up the AAV difference. Can’t do either w/ a 1yr deal. 

If this was the NBA w/ fully guaranteed contracts and escalator limits, I could see 1yr deals. 

Just now, TransientTexan said:

Values will be depressed a bit, but not sure if there will be many 1yr deals. It’s actually more difficult for teams to fit those under the cap than with multi-year deals. W/ multi-year, you can prorate signing bonuses to spread out cap hit and reduce yr-1 hit. Or have roster bonuses in future years to make up the AAV difference. Can’t do either w/ a 1yr deal. 

If this was the NBA w/ fully guaranteed contracts and escalator limits, I could see 1yr deals. 

with values depressed, players and their agents won't be signing cheap multi-year deals

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

z

e

Could be, but I think they would be failing to use all of their leverage by doing that.  

According to reports, the Packers have offered Jones contract options but he wants guaranteed money. Slapping the tag on him just results in a pissed off player.  And God forbid he nukes his knee playing under the tag. 

All that aside, that $8m can be used elsewhere. And someone can pick up a "G" necklace on the cheap

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

with values depressed, players and their agents won't be signing cheap multi-year deals

The 2021 cap situation can be baked into the contracts. It’s not like just because 1 of the 4 years of a deal has a 13% lower league cap, the player’s whole contract has to be 13% lower than usual if signed in this offseason. No escalator limits on contracts. 

13 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

whats the tag number on linsley now? 

On a $180.5M cap the franchise tag numbers should be

QB- $24.828M
WR- $15.808M
CB- $14.895M
LB- $14.630M
DE- $14.530M
DT- $13.736M
OL- $13.602M
S- $10.496M
TE- $8.496M
RB- $8.074M
P/K- $4.433M
Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

whats the tag number on linsley now? 

I believe the NFL considers all OL the same for franchise tag, so even at a 2021-discount, that tag number’s going to be falsely inflated by Tackle contracts if you’re wanting to apply it to a Guard or Center. Still might not make sense for a Center, even if the team was willing to stomach the player-relations blowback. Especially if they have other C options on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Tag Jones for 8 mil?

So, I looked at that once.  $8M for Jones on a franchise tag.  Got me all giddy inside.  Like I was a senior going to prom again.

Then I saw where it goes up fast from there, if the cap is over the floor of 175-180M.

Then I felt like the freshman standing in the corner waiting to go home.

Edited by vegas492