2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

35 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

The 2021 cap situation can be baked into the contracts. It’s not like just because 1 of the 4 years of a deal has a 13% lower league cap, the player’s whole contract has to be 13% lower than usual if signed in this offseason. No escalator limits on contracts. 

I guess that's true.  I think there's something in the CBA about year over year pay not growing by more than 20ish percent?

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I guess that's true.  I think there's something in the CBA about year over year pay not growing by more than 20ish percent?

That's the NBA. And here cap and cash flows are two very different things. Using Packers typical salary structure you can easily get a 1st year cap hit that is around 40% of the yearly average on a 4-year contract.

14 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Never heard Rodgers complain.  Rest of this totally agree with.  He had a couple of down years.  Seasons lost to injury.  Personally before this year I thought he was washed and overpaid.  This year performance > pay.  So what.  

About being underpaid, no.

About roster composition and front office moves, yes.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I know it's not as fun as new outside players but tagging Jones for 8 mil is probably more of the real definition of going more all in than just signing a free agent. Only one year of risk, if he'll play on it, continuity, etc.

Why didn't you tag me? My philosophy has always been keep/get the guy who is going to make your team better. The Packers are a much better team with Aaron Jones on it, period. Now, I'm fine if they don't want to pay him $8-10m and decide to use that money elsewhere, but I would be far from upset to see 33 back. I've been in his camp all along. 

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Not as far as I know. If they did add a limit, I think it is much higher than 20%, cuz I think Kirksey’s cap hit was going to jump like 60% in yr2. 

NBA is generally maxed at 5-8% increases, depending on the type of contract. And it’s not compounding, so the increases in yr3 & yr4 are still 8% of whatever the yr1 hit was.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I don't see why the Franchise Tag would go down. I thought they were the avg of the top 5 contracts not related to a % of the cap. This makes no sense to me.

Overthecap offers an explanation. I can't quite figure it out, but it does seem the 2021 salary cap would affect it. 

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

Franchise and transition tenders are calculated by adding the respective tag numbers, divided by the sum of the salary caps, from the previous five seasons, and finally multipled by the current season's salary cap. Franchise tag figures are based upon the top five salaries at each respective position, while transition tag figures are based on the top ten.

Edited by Brat&Beer

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I don't see why the Franchise Tag would go down. I thought they were the avg of the top 5 contracts not related to a % of the cap. This makes no sense to me.

I am guessing they take the average of the top-5 contracts from the previous year and then correct it to the new salary cap. So for last year's tag numbers, they would take the top-5 avg from 2019, and then multiply it by 1.05 ($198.2/$188.2) to correct it to the 2020 cap. And this year, they'd look at the top-5 avg from 2020 and multiply it by 0.91 ($180/$198.2), or whatever the exact ratio ends up being. 

Heck, if they could know ahead-of-time what the top-5 avg will be this year, the NFL would just take that average and not bother with any of the cap-correcting business, but the problem is that this year's top-5 salary picture is not "complete" yet because 2021 free agency hasn't happened yet. In any given year the top free agency deals typically "reset" the position max and drag that average higher. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, VonKarman said:

No way. If you wanna keep Jones you extend him to lower his cap below that (can probably get it as low as 4-5M). I really hope we don't do it. Get James White for 3M.

I don’t even remember when the last time a Running Back got a 2nd contract and it was worth it ... Just not a good financial decision for a team strapped on cash that just spent a 2nd on a RB

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will go on a limb and guess that it is Frank Gore or Adrian Peterson.

The Vikings got 10 years of Adrian Peterson for 95ish million. MVP, 3x rushing leader, 7 time probowl, ~12k yards.  Was waived in his final year to save 18 million.  He signed 3 contracts for 11 years with MN, and played 10 seasons for them.  

Gore has finished all contracts as far as I can tell. 

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I don’t even remember when the last time a Running Back got a 2nd contract and it was worth it ... Just not a good financial decision for a team strapped on cash that just spent a 2nd on a RB

There have been lots of mid tier guys that have been worth it, Mostert comes to mind. Top level guys, Kamara and Cook are making their case. 

I still don’t think we should or will pick up AJ’s 2nd contract but the production will need to be replaced.