2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

There have been lots of mid tier guys that have been worth it, Mostert comes to mind. Top level guys, Kamara and Cook are making their case. 

I still don’t think we should or will pick up AJ’s 2nd contract but the production will need to be replaced. 

I think that Dillon can replace most of the 2020 Aaron Jones production.  Jones had 1100 yards and 9 TDs.  I don't see why Dillon cannot do that.  I don't expect Dillon to match the 60+ receiving targets that Jones got, and we will have to find someone that can pick up some of the slack there.  But I do think that we can replace the difference with a cheaper option.  Or maybe I am just an AJ Dillon honk.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that Dillon can replace most of the 2020 Aaron Jones production.  Jones had 1100 yards and 9 TDs.  I don't see why Dillon cannot do that.  I don't expect Dillon to match the 60+ receiving targets that Jones got, and we will have to find someone that can pick up some of the slack there.  But I do think that we can replace the difference with a cheaper option.  Or maybe I am just an AJ Dillon honk.  

The receiving production was more along the lines what I was thinking of. That threat out of the backfield will have to be replaced, it adds another dimension to have to defend. With Swerve currently also off of the roster, we need some quickness for end arounds and checksowns/screens.

AJD is promising and brings a whole different aspect to the run game that I love but he hasn’t proven anything over a full season yet. I’m still confident Gute and LaFleur will get this one right. 

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If we're just looking at overall yards, etc. yea Dillon can probably get there. What Dillon can't replace is the big-play ability from Jones. Plays like his 50 yard TD run against the Vikings to seal the division in 2019, his big TD against Philly in 2020 when we were struggling a bit late in the game, his 75 yarder against the Lions in a close game coming out of halftime, and his huge 60+ yard run against the Rams in the playoffs -- those plays don't happen with Dillon at RB. 

GB is going to miss Aaron Jones. We might as well just accept it. Dillon + a change-of-pace rookie should be "okay" but let's not sugarcoat it, our offense in 2021 will be without one of its best players from the last few years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

The receiving production was more along the lines what I was thinking of. That threat out of the backfield will have to be replaced, it adds another dimension to have to defend. With Swerve currently also off of the roster, we need some quickness for end arounds and checksowns/screens.

AJD is promising and brings a whole different aspect to the run game that I love but he hasn’t proven anything over a full season yet. I’m still confident Gute and LaFleur will get this one right. 

Absolutely agreed.  I think there needs to be a compliment added for Dillon.  I also think that can be done much more economically than giving Aaron Jones top 5 money, or a franchise tag.  For that ~8 million franchise tag money we can probably bring in James White and keep Kevin King on a one year deal.  Is that not a better team?

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If we're just looking at overall yards, etc. yea Dillon can probably get there. What Dillon can't replace is the big-play ability from Jones. Plays like his 50 yard TD run against the Vikings to seal the division in 2019, his big TD against Philly in 2020 when we were struggling a bit late in the game, his 75 yarder against the Lions in a close game coming out of halftime, and his huge 60+ yard run against the Rams in the playoffs -- those plays don't happen with Dillon at RB. 

GB is going to miss Aaron Jones. We might as well just accept it. Dillon + a change-of-pace rookie should be "okay" but let's not sugarcoat it, our offense in 2021 will be without one of its best players from the last few years. 

I do not recall those specific plays.  I do recall the game against the Chiefs in 2019 though.  Jones beat their LB downfield a couple of times on huge passing plays.  I don't think that is Dillon's game. I do think you are underestimating Dillion's ability to make a long run however.  This is a 4.5 guy at 250.  His college highlights also show that he is capable of making long runs.

So I guess we partially agree.

I agree that there is reason to believe Dillon can be a big play guy. Last year Jones and Derrick Henry had the same number of 40+ yard runs - 4. Jones, Henry and Dillon all ran about the same 40 time. Of course there is more to breaking big runs than flat out speed, but a Dillon running at full speed is as good a bet to break a long one as Jones was. 

44 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Can the Packers trade Preston Smith and not have any dead money? With the salary cap it'll be tough finding a team but maybe they could throw in a late pick.

No. If they trade him before June 1 they will have 8M dead money. After June 1 it would be 4M in 2021 and 4M in 2022. 

• Like 1

There was plenty of talk all the way into and through the combine that Dillon was a better receiver than advertised, he just didn't get to use it much.  He only got three targets this year but he made tough catches on two of them and looked natural adjusting to the ball in the air.  Dillon in the flat 1v1 with a CB is a dream match-up, so I expect him to get plenty of short yardage targets next season.  Question is what he can do downfield, especially on that HB go from the backfield that Ben Fennell loves so much.  

Also, I'll put money down right now that Dillon outproduces Jones by volume next year easy.  Doubt he'll come close to Jones' efficiency numbers for the same reason, but there's a different kind of value in a guy you can actually give 20+ touches a game.  Doubt there's any drop off in the run game in 2021, pending on what they do with RB2.  If they resign Jamaal think they're good to go, Dexter Williams is firmly in bust territory but he still has some crazy burst, wouldn't hate him getting some contract year snaps as the change of pace guy.

Here is a link to Dillon's GB highlight reel.  Hard not to be excited to see him get more touches.  On his longer TD run against the Titans, he made the free man miss (and not even touch him) at the LOS, then got the angle on the deep safety.

Showed some pretty good hands on his receptions, as someone said, many of them were not the best thrown balls.

I came away really impressed with his footwork in closed space.  Like he was making guys miss, or just glance at him around the LOS.

Also...side note....we are really going to miss Lindsley.  My eye was drawn to him a ton.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

If they resign Jamaal think they're good to go, Dexter Williams is firmly in bust territory but he still has some crazy burst, wouldn't hate him getting some contract year snaps as the change of pace guy.

I like what Jamaal brings in pass pro, ball security and he’s added to his game catching it when needed. If this is a down year for FA, I’d been happy to see him back but we could also bring in a James White or Breida level guy.

D. Williams seems like he would have panned out by now but it did seem his biggest issue was picking up the mental side of the game. If he doesn’t show he knows it by camp, I can’t see him even making the PS.  I won’t label him a bust because of where he was picked but he did look made for this system so has disappointed. 

Patrick Taylor has that taller, violent James Starks kind of running in his game. He will be in the mix as well as a draft pick or two. I don’t see us spending high picks on the position unless someone they are in love with falls in the 2/3 rounds. I’m much more concerned about CB and both lines so Gute has some work to do on a limited budget. 

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Dexter Williams is firmly in bust territory but he still has some crazy burst, wouldn't hate him getting some contract year snaps as the change of pace guy.

is a 6th round pick ever a bust?

If GB was counting on Dexter Williams to be a key contributor, then I am not sure if the expectations on late round picks is appropriate.