2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Love Jones and what he did but not understanding the idea behind re-signing him. Second contracts to RB's are a financial risk the Packers shouldn't take IMO. You invested a 2nd round asset into Dillon. That's a big investment for a 4 year only player and now you want to bring back someone to keep him on the bench ? I'm not understanding the value thought process. The last big time RB on a Super Bowl winning team was Marshawn Lynch 8 years ago. 

The Packers had the number one scoring offense last year. I can't imagine a significant drop off with Dillon and a draft pick or low level FA. Meanwhile the defense will always manage to give up more points than the offense can score against playoff teams. Boggles my mind. CB has gaping holes, the DL sucks, ILB's are suspect at best, and they are gonna throw a big contract at RB ??  Great for fantasy owners I guess. You have a much better chance to significantly move the needle by investing that money into the defense. Ten years and they still haven't learned their lesson

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, we reportedly offered Jones around $9m/year. I'm guessing Gute was real close to pulling the trigger on the tag. I was beginning to think Jones was 100% gone without the tag. Now it really seems 50/50.

it’s Williams they let walk then. Jones is a difference maker. I’m neutral on Jones. Love and hope we keep him, understand and ok if we don’t. 

6 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't see them re-signing him when they have other areas of need and already invested a top 100 pick in a RB the year prior

I get the feeling that this info on GB offering X per year is from Jones agent.   Trying to set the market on what it might take to sign Jones in FA.  

• Like 1

PFT report from Florio says 2021 salary cap to be between $180-183M

The floor for the 2021 salary cap has been set at $180 million. As expected, the ceiling won’t be much higher.

As one source with knowledge of the dynamics has explained it to PFT, the fact that the franchise-tag deadline wasn’t extended by the league and the union can be interpreted as an indication that the cap won’t significantly exceed the $180 million floor. Per the source, the cap will at most be $183 million.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, we reportedly offered Jones around $9m/year. I'm guessing Gute was real close to pulling the trigger on the tag. I was beginning to think Jones was 100% gone without the tag. Now it really seems 50/50.

$9m a year I could live with, if the issue is just guaranteed coin then let's make it happen. If he is after a Joe Mixon type contract which is at $12m a year, then that is a bad deal. I believe he sticks in Green Bay when all is said and done.

The salary cap is most definitely not my strong suit. Does the NFL really expect all teams to fall within a $3m window if the cap is $183 and the floor is $180 ??? Obviously the cap is non-negotiable as far as exceeding it, but that seems like a small window to actually hit

Edited by cannondale

37 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The salary cap is most definitely not my strong suit. Does the NFL really expect all teams to fall within a $3m window if the cap is $183 and the floor is $180 ??? Obviously the cap is non-negotiable as far as exceeding it, but that seems like a small window to actually hit

That is not the window teams need to be within.

That means the lowest the 2021 cap would be is $180.  The highest it will likely be is $183.

The 90% spending floor over 4 years aggregate is still there.

The 9M per number for Jones feels like a number Gute could live with but that they were 99% sure he would not take. I think our beat writers have a lot they need to catch up on, but the biggest thing that they all don’t seem to understand yet is that paying running backs big contracts is usually a regrettable idea, and no, Aaron Jones is not “different.”

Silverstein dismissed the idea of GB signing Watt because “they have too many of their own FAs to get done” - he even mentioned Kevin King as one of them! Now, he’s covered the team for decades so surely he must have already been able to intuit that Jones and Linsley and King were all walking, right? I mean, it didn’t take a genius to see that months ago. 

Really need Miami to remind Aaron Jones that 12 million in Florida without taxes is a lot more than 9 million in Wisconsin with taxes.

Williams at 4 million per with Dillon is about three times the cap health value of Jones at 9 million.

I mean seriously... Other than Lacy’s fat season - and even then - have we had a BAD running game in anybody’s memory?  Anybody’s?

Has LaFleur EVER at any level had a bad running game?

Love Jones.  Let someone else pay him.  He may have a few good seasons yet.  Regardless would much rather fortify the team in other areas.  CB and DL specifically.  We have several picks this year take a few fliers in the later rounds.  We'll be fine at RB without Jones.  Why Gute drafted Dillon.  Can't understand why posters continue to bash this pick.

Not very impressed with King.  Possible no one else is either.  Many posters assume he'll be gone.  Well if he finds a weak FA market we could still bring him back.  Not the most attractive FA corner but if the price is right?  Same goes for Williams at RB.  Be nice to have an experienced vet in the backfield.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cannondale said:

Love Jones and what he did but not understanding the idea behind re-signing him. Second contracts to RB's are a financial risk the Packers shouldn't take IMO. You invested a 2nd round asset into Dillon. That's a big investment for a 4 year only player and now you want to bring back someone to keep him on the bench ? I'm not understanding the value thought process. The last big time RB on a Super Bowl winning team was Marshawn Lynch 8 years ago. 

The Packers had the number one scoring offense last year. I can't imagine a significant drop off with Dillon and a draft pick or low level FA. Meanwhile the defense will always manage to give up more points than the offense can score against playoff teams. Boggles my mind. CB has gaping holes, the DL sucks, ILB's are suspect at best, and they are gonna throw a big contract at RB ??  Great for fantasy owners I guess. You have a much better chance to significantly move the needle by investing that money into the defense. Ten years and they still haven't learned their lesson

This is the only part I don't necessarily agree. Would fans say the same thing about our WR core if we were letting Davante Adams walk? Because Aaron Jones is the Adams of the RB group. Indeed, the Packers lost more games last season without Aaron Jones in the lineup than they did without Adams in the lineup. (1 v. 0). 

Not sure about overall results, but I think you're looking at a tremendous drop-off in "big plays" at the RB position once Jones signs elsewhere. Just look at Aaron Jones' stats the last 2 years. He's one of the top offensive players in the NFL in terms of production, plain and simple.  

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

The 9M per number for Jones feels like a number Gute could live with but that they were 99% sure he would not take. I think our beat writers have a lot they need to catch up on, but the biggest thing that they all don’t seem to understand yet is that paying running backs big contracts is usually a regrettable idea, and no, Aaron Jones is not “different.”

Silverstein dismissed the idea of GB signing Watt because “they have too many of their own FAs to get done” - he even mentioned Kevin King as one of them! Now, he’s covered the team for decades so surely he must have already been able to intuit that Jones and Linsley and King were all walking, right? I mean, it didn’t take a genius to see that months ago. 

If we pay Kevin King even $5 million when we could have paid Jones $8 million for another year, someone point me to the FireGute.com site. 

• Like 1