2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 hour ago, GWH87 said:

Hard pass on Hayward, not a fit and wasn’t originally either when we drafted him. Jones makes us monumentally better than Hayward. Our fascination with bringing back retreads needs to end, be happy he played well elsewhere but we’d get more value out of a guy that’s had success in Barry’s scheme Troy Hill is the target there to lock down the slot.

The price for any player is the key.  He may be better than Hayward but cost 3 times as much.  It's all comparative ... how much are you getting for your dollars spent?

5 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Hard pass on Hayward, not a fit and wasn’t originally either when we drafted him. Jones makes us monumentally better than Hayward. Our fascination with bringing back retreads needs to end, be happy he played well elsewhere but we’d get more value out of a guy that’s had success in Barry’s scheme Troy Hill is the target there to lock down the slot.

That’s fine to have that opinion, but I’d have a hard time calling Hayward  a retread as he was an all pro CB after he left GB. 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

That’s fine to have that opinion, but I’d have a hard time calling Hayward  a retread as he was an all pro CB after he left GB. 

He’s not getting a contract from us to start opposite Alexander but I’d take him on a good deal for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

The price for any player is the key.  He may be better than Hayward but cost 3 times as much.  It's all comparative ... how much are you getting for your dollars spent?

Hill isn’t going to be 3x Hayward but nice try. It’s clear we need high quality with our signings not just bodies. I see Hayward as a body now, not a knock on him but not sure the arrow trends up with him any longer. Hill is trending up and already showed great success in Barry’s scheme, that’s why you pursue that. End of FA I’m in the belief Hill signs for less than Hayward, somebody will over pay on name and former Pro Bowler.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

What would you call Hayward then? He’s had success yes, however future success isn’t a given that’s why he was cut (Chargers saw it too), additionally his fit isn’t there for our system. He wasn’t a fit before, so that’s where the retread comes in, non fit, over paid, former Pro Bowler that will get more $$ to sign elsewhere. Like I said above his arrow isn’t trending up anymore. I’d love to be wrong but I’m not the only one that views it this way.

2 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Hill isn’t going to be 3x Hayward but nice try. It’s clear we need high quality with our signings not just bodies. I see Hayward as a body now, not a knock on him but not sure the arrow trends up with him any longer. Hill is trending up and already showed great success in Barry’s scheme, that’s why you pursue that. End of FA I’m in the belief Hill signs for less than Hayward, somebody will over pay on name and former Pro Bowler.

What would you call Hayward then? He’s had success yes, however future success isn’t a given that’s why he was cut (Chargers saw it too), additionally his fit isn’t there for our system. He wasn’t a fit before, so that’s where the retread comes in, non fit, over paid, former Pro Bowler that will get more $$ to sign elsewhere. Like I said above his arrow isn’t trending up anymore. I’d love to be wrong but I’m not the only one that views it this way.

Should have been clearer ... I think Hayward will be more pricey for sure than Hill.  If Hayward is much more, have no problem with Hill.  It's all in the price now they have signed Jones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Tonyan tendered.

That's everyone who is RFA and ERFA tendered except for Greene, Nickerson, Boyle and Lancaster so far I think.

I hope we bring Lancaster back on a minimum deal.  He's not awful and he is available.  Just not worth the tender.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Spotrac has GB at $3.255M OVER the cap with the Tonyan and Sullivan RFA tender and without any salary for Aaron Jones.   With his $13M signing bonus spread over 4 years ... $3.25M per year and the vet minimum of $910K....that will add another $4.15M at the minimum.  

So GB is effectively $7.4M OVER the cap currently.   I don't think the Amos restructure is accounted for in that, but I don't think that was a huge cap savings move based on the reports.  

An Adams or Z Smith contract extension  OR a Rodgers restructure needs to be done by tomorrow at the start of the league year.

Rodgers' cap number is officially the highest in the NFL at about $37.2 million. There's no way the Packers can go forward without restructuring him, and if they do, it means he's 100% being traded after this season because the only logical explanation for not using Rodgers as the ATM to sign some additional players and lower his cap number is because the Packers don't want to have more dead money on the books when they trade him next off-season.