2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

44 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yep.  That’s what I’m watching, do they still keep the easier out in 1-2 seasons with Rodgers’ contract?  It seems like they’re moving everything else around in order to keep the emergency exit open. 12’s camp could be asking for more than Gute is willing to move and so he’s just keeping everything on the table. Of course, there’s still time for moves to be made.

That huge contract getting restructured could give us some decent chips to use in this unusual FA season. I know everyone has said Aaron will be the  QB for a long time but I’ll watch where the money moves to see what’s really going on. 

Looks like they are taking this year by year to me. 

• If 2021 is similar to 2020 both in terms of the team and Rodgers then they probably try and do the same in 2022 - kick whatever cap they can do down the road probably to 2023 and have another run for the title
  • If the team and/or Rodgers regress in 2021 then they do the rebuild. Move on to Love - absorb the cap hits, basically play for draft position and hope if Love hits they might be able to contend in 23

Jones contract falls in line with this - affordable in 21 and 22 which would probably be the last year you could do this for. If this is the plan, it would be why they restructured rather than extended Z as you could just cut him and take the hit in 22 if you have to. 

Obviously if Rodgers contract changes then all of the above is wrong.

2 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

I mean if Rodgers wants to win a SB he’ll restructure. Plain and simple. 

If Rodgers restructures then

• He gets more guaranteed money
  • He becomes harder to cut 
  • His chances of winning a super bowl in 21 increases.  Packers become less competitive in future years when he may not even be here

A restructure is 100% win for Rodgers so he would happily do it. Plain and simple if he isn't restructuring its because the front office don't want to because they want to retain the rights to basically fire him next year.

17 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

...A restructure is 100% win for Rodgers so he would happily do it. Plain and simple if he isn't restructuring its because the front office don't want to because they want to retain the rights to basically fire him next year.

He does have leverage, though.  So it's possible that he's not doing a restructure without getting some extra overall dollars or an extra year or something added in?  

But as mentioned by others, it's more probable that they're just waiting to find out how many cap dollars they need.  Do your negotiating with CB, DL, OL, WR, or whatever; find out what the costs will be for whichever guys you want and can reach agreement with; then restructure accordingly to free those cap dollars and sign those guys that you agreed to.

Maybe some/all deals exist, and have all been agreed to already, but are just waiting for the league year.  But there is a good likelihood that Gute doesn't yet know what he'll need to spend to get the guys.    

I assume Rodgers' agent has already discussed what might be available as needed.  

44 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

• His chances of winning a super bowl in 21 increases.  Packers become less competitive in future years when he may not even be here

A restructure is 100% win for Rodgers so he would happily do it. Plain and simple if he isn't restructuring its because the front office don't want to because they want to retain the rights to basically fire him next year.

That'll happen if he isn't here. It'll take the next QB(if it isn't Love) a good 2 years before he comes into his own and has a good enough cast around him.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

It's a 1 year cap hit, not multiple. It's not future years it's future year.

The year we sucked after transitioning from Favre to Rodgers resulted in Raji and Matthews being added to the team. Two of the top 5 pillars in winning a SB 2 years later.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, persiandud said:

so, who are you guys interested in signing after 2 days of official free agency ? 

All depends on cost, but here is why I'm interested in.

Fuller, all dependent on cost.  Golloday, all dependent on cost.

Humphries, Hilton, Watkins.  On the cheap.

Jackson, Hill, Rhodes, K. King at CB.  

Reiff at tackle, but not at a high cost.  Throw Fisher in there as well.  But I don't think either are likely.

The one I think we should get, and wouldn't cost all that much but would make a huge difference is Cordarelle Patterson.  Finally get a real returner who can also take back end RB duties on gameday.

so, who are you guys interested in signing after 2 days of official free agency ? 

Fuller, JuJu, Golladay, Adoree Jackson, Guy, Hooker are names that stand out for me but will we get them? probably not.

What I think Packers WILL do, made with some logical reasoning and a sprinkling of gut feeling I think they might be eyeing Chris Wormley on a very cheap deal to help boost our DL depth. I also think there's a good chance we will bring back Kevin King at a bargain basement price.

Kevin King.  

Position of acute need.  Knows the system and culture, and knows the position coaches, so won't have much learning curve for what Gray wants.  Good talent.  Young, not declining, and may still get better.  Offers being comparable, all tiebreakers will have him take Packers, given friendships and being contender.  May be available at a much better price than we'd have imagined pre-playoffs.  

• Like 3

I'm really curious how much the Packers want King, and how much they'll pay if he returns.  Maybe they just don't really respect him, and don't think he's got the instincts and the team heart, or maybe the brains, that they like?  Or maybe after the Tampa play, maybe they just think there is too much baggage and history now, and they just want to turn the page.

Or maybe they like and respect him plenty, but it's all and only about the money?

Q1:  Based on what you guys have seen from other players and other teams, what kind of contract do you see as realistic or plausible for him, at this point?

Q2: *IF* the Packers were interested, do you think they'd prefer him on a 1-year low-commitment deal, and hope to have some better long-term answer a year from now?  Or do you think that if they sign him, they'd very much want it to be a multi-year deal, perhaps heavily incentivized?  

I can see either side on that.  Perhaps now is a great buy-low opportunity to lock him in for a multi-year deal that's way cheaper than we'd have dreams prior to the playoffs.  And locking him up for several years would really protect us.  *IF* he improves, AND *IF* you draft another talented CB, maybe then you'll be really good and secure at CB 1-2-3 for a while?  And obviously a multi-year deal allows you to backload it so the 2021 cap hit will be very modest? 

Or perhaps given both his injuries and some of his performance and decision-making limitations, maybe this just isn't a guy you really want beyond a one-year prove-it commitment? 

The same uncertainty may go for him.  He might really only want a one-year prove-it deal, in hopes of earning a much bigger deal next year when the cap opens back up.  Or maybe as an oft-injured guy who maybe isn't seeing a hot market, maybe he would like to get as much security right now as he possibly can.  Beats me.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm really curious how much the Packers want King, and how much they'll pay if he returns.  Maybe they just don't really respect him, and don't think he's got the instincts and the team heart, or maybe the brains, that they like?  Or maybe after the Tampa play, maybe they just think there is too much baggage and history now, and they just want to turn the page.

Or maybe they like and respect him plenty, but it's all and only about the money?

Q1:  Based on what you guys have seen from other players and other teams, what kind of contract do you see as realistic or plausible for him, at this point?

Q2: *IF* the Packers were interested, do you think they'd prefer him on a 1-year low-commitment deal, and hope to have some better long-term answer a year from now?  Or do you think that if they sign him, they'd very much want it to be a multi-year deal, perhaps heavily incentivized?  

I can see either side on that.  Perhaps now is a great buy-low opportunity to lock him in for a multi-year deal that's way cheaper than we'd have dreams prior to the playoffs.  And locking him up for several years would really protect us.  *IF* he improves, AND *IF* you draft another talented CB, maybe then you'll be really good and secure at CB 1-2-3 for a while?  And obviously a multi-year deal allows you to backload it so the 2021 cap hit will be very modest? 

Or perhaps given both his injuries and some of his performance and decision-making limitations, maybe this just isn't a guy you really want beyond a one-year prove-it commitment? 

The same uncertainty may go for him.  He might really only want a one-year prove-it deal, in hopes of earning a much bigger deal next year when the cap opens back up.  Or maybe as an oft-injured guy who maybe isn't seeing a hot market, maybe he would like to get as much security right now as he possibly can.  Beats me.   

I laughed when I saw that PFF had King going to Seattle for one year and $3.5M.  Now?  I'm not laughing.  If he's at that cost, or near it, we give him a one year deal.

No way King signs a low multi-year deal.  He's young.  He needs one good, complete season to cash in during free agency.

If GB were to offer a multi-year deal with a lot of incentives, I'm okay with it.  I'm just not sure that our future cap is okay with it.  And King is not someone to invest heavily in.  Too many injuries.  At best he's in GB for one more year, while we figure out the succession plan in the draft.

GB would be smart to bring him back, while drafting a corner high and a corner mid round.

11 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

100% Bang on!

I want Patterson.  At least teams would have to gameplan for our return game.  We got a new Specials Coach, I'm sure he wants someone back there who is credible.

But, this is a pipe dream.  This is a move that we never make.

When we pass on Patterson, I hope we find a real returner in the draft.

But, here is the wildcard concerning Patterson.  He's got the body we like at WR.  He is physical.  He can run.  We ran Lazard on a jet sweep this year for a nice gain.  I could see MLF finding ways to get Patterson into the game outside of specials or emergency RB carries.