2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

31 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm really curious how much the Packers want King, and how much they'll pay if he returns.  Maybe they just don't really respect him, and don't think he's got the instincts and the team heart, or maybe the brains, that they like?  Or maybe after the Tampa play, maybe they just think there is too much baggage and history now, and they just want to turn the page.

Or maybe they like and respect him plenty, but it's all and only about the money?

Q1:  Based on what you guys have seen from other players and other teams, what kind of contract do you see as realistic or plausible for him, at this point?

Q2: *IF* the Packers were interested, do you think they'd prefer him on a 1-year low-commitment deal, and hope to have some better long-term answer a year from now?  Or do you think that if they sign him, they'd very much want it to be a multi-year deal, perhaps heavily incentivized?  

I can see either side on that.  Perhaps now is a great buy-low opportunity to lock him in for a multi-year deal that's way cheaper than we'd have dreams prior to the playoffs.  And locking him up for several years would really protect us.  *IF* he improves, AND *IF* you draft another talented CB, maybe then you'll be really good and secure at CB 1-2-3 for a while?  And obviously a multi-year deal allows you to backload it so the 2021 cap hit will be very modest? 

Or perhaps given both his injuries and some of his performance and decision-making limitations, maybe this just isn't a guy you really want beyond a one-year prove-it commitment? 

The same uncertainty may go for him.  He might really only want a one-year prove-it deal, in hopes of earning a much bigger deal next year when the cap opens back up.  Or maybe as an oft-injured guy who maybe isn't seeing a hot market, maybe he would like to get as much security right now as he possibly can.  Beats me.   

Wow that's an excellent question. Given how much money we've already pushed out this offseason, it might be tough to get a long term deal done. But I do like the idea of bringing King back for a year on the cheap. It makes sense for him too, like Vegas said

On 3/3/2021 at 10:14 PM, DWhitehurst said:

Actually, a good draft is 3 starters out of it. A great draft is 4 starters. Beyond that is very rare, at least if you're a playoff team. Gute has done ok, but I wouldn't assert he has done great so far in any draft. This coming draft has depth at positions of need for the Packers. I hope he doesn't trade any picks earlier than round 5, and I wouldn't complain if he traded back from pick #29 unless a guy really high on their board fell. 

13-3 teams do not typically expect 3 starters form 1 draft. 1 or 2 is the target and maybe a couple of possible future starters. Last years draft was pretty much all potential future starters so the draft was not a total success. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

13-3 teams do not typically expect 3 starters form 1 draft. 1 or 2 is the target and maybe a couple of possible future starters. Last years draft was pretty much all potential future starters so the draft was not a total success. 

You're usually not going to evaluate a draft class a year after you take the players.  You're usually talking about 2-3 years later minimum.

• Like 1

Anyway there's something I noticed about Packers fans. They seem to bang the table for some small slot guy when the evidence shows that LaFleur's offence does not really use that type of player at all.

I've seen names such as Humpheries and Crowder being touted and i'm sitting here wondering why? do y'all even watch Packers games?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Anyway there's something I noticed about Packers fans. They seem to bang the table for some small slot guy when the evidence shows that LaFleur's offence does not really use that type of player at all.

I've seen names such as Humpheries and Crowder being touted and i'm sitting here wondering why? do y'all even watch Packers games?

They're the same ones that would draft a RB and WR with the first two picks every year. It's some subliminal message written into the Madden software. Two big areas of open grass where a CB and OT are supposed to be ?? You can get those in the 7th round. They absolutely kill it in franchise mode so they know

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Lot of fans don't really pay attention to the specifics.  They know slot receivers are a thing so they want one, because Green Bay didn't have one so that must have been the issue.  I agree, there's no space for that kind of player in MLF's system.  He likes his big slots because they spend more time blocking than anything else; Lazard or ESB can drive a DE back into the flow, more important to this offense than being able to run a whip route.  Especially with Adams outside, most of the targets are going to him anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

I think last year's draft is looking way, way better than it was prior to the (edit) season. 

Love didn't see the field, but nobody really expected him to unless possibly if Rodgers got hurt. There's the argument that the pick put that chip back on Rodgers shoulder to play as he did this year, but all in all the pick looks about the same as it did a year ago. 

Dillon didn't see the field much but L man he looked like a player late on. 

Deguera got hurt very early but I'm excited based on what I saw. 

We look like we've got ourselves two starting LBs in the 5th round and UDFA. 

Runyan, Scott and Garvin saw 15, 9 and 8% of snaps as 6th, 6th and 7th rounders on a 13-3 team which is quite promising. Runyan in particular I thought looked a potential future starter out there. 

Even is Love flops, gets traded, etc down the line that's got the makings of a really good draft. If he takes over as a good starter post Rodgers, we might look back at it as a phenomenal draft 5-10 years from now. 

Edited by Billy86
  • Like 2